Sponsored by:

Battery maintainer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
Bought OEM Porsche battery maintainer, brand new in box, on eBay for $26.

are you sure its NOT "POORSCHE"?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Question, do those 1/4" eyelets go over the battery terminals or are you loosening the battery cables, sliding the eyelet between the battery terminal and the battery cable and retightening? The reason I want to know is I am going to Boston next week to check out a 67 Corvette and if I buy it, I will be getting a C-Tek 3300 (I have the Porsche branded one on my Club Coupe).
They go onto the locking nut for the battery cable clamp, which is then tightened. And the CTEK 3300 from Amazon includes the 1/4" eyelet connector.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
YseanY
Instructor

for those of you conecting directly to the battery, i noticed that the wires do not have an inline fuse (at least from the product photos it does not show it). I believe it is best to run an inlne fuse if we're connecting directly to the battery?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by YseanY
for those of you conecting directly to the battery, i noticed that the wires do not have an inline fuse (at least from the product photos it does not show it). I believe it is best to run an inlne fuse if we're connecting directly to the battery?
No fusing is required for the CTEK chargers. The internal circuits protect the battery, electrical equipment in the vehicle, and the user. According to CTEK the charger can even be permanently installed in the vehicle (not in the engine compartment) and wired to the battery. There is a lot of info on the CTEK site including a lengthy FAQ section.

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Default.aspx
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by YseanY
My 7002 has a inline 15amp blade fuse for the "permanent" connection.

You should fuse any auxiliary 12 v lead as close as you can to the battery in case the lead gets compromised- you'll have a dead short-regardless of what it's hooked up to.

BD
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
You should fuse any auxiliary 12 v lead as close as you can to the battery in case the lead gets compromised- you'll have a dead short-regardless of what it's hooked up to.

BD
Yup. Fuses are safety equipment. A reasonable person can never have too much safety.

IOW, who wants to be a member of the exclusive club whose houses have been burned down by faulty electrical accessories?

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer question