Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done the Porsche Sport Driving School?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Anyone done the Porsche Sport Driving School?

good, bad?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard both right here at RennList. Try a search on "Porsche Driving School" and "PDS" and you'll find the threads. I remember commenting in the first one that for the price of 1 event with PDS you could fund an entire season with PCA.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
roadrat
Pro

answer the question, Claire

:P
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did I don't think it's worth the expense when for the same $ you can fund an entire season of PCA DE. I think if you do PDS you'll leave with some info, but not enough seat time or time between track sessions. However, if you spend a season with PCA, you'll probably learn a bunch, have many hours of seat time, possibly advance from Green to Yellow, etc.

Here's a search on "Porsche Driving School" and "PDS" in only the title in the 987/997 product forums.
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5376621

Search on "PDS" in title.
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5376628
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
roadrat
Pro

Thanks Ron.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if the average person could physically take more seat time that is given at PSDS? I was sore on day 2 for sure.

The 3 day Masters Plus was without any doubt all I could handle physically. Drive, debrief, drive, debrief, rinse repeat with a lunch break. Driving as fast as I was capable of, no limits imposed by instructors. Hurtin' for certain.

I think the general consensus is PSDS is a 100% first-class experience. I enjoyed every second and felt it was an excellent investment in my driving education. You will get as much or as little from it as you choose.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's awesome. i've been there twice

not to dis ron, but recommended search should be "PSDS" or porsche sport driving school

i don't agree with his assessment but his opinion is shared by many. i found the cost equation to be excellent and the instruction to be much better that what i can get at our local school or PCA events, which i've used in addition to it. it's clearly a first class program with tons of seat time and a great focus on both fundamentals of driving and how to add speed.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
roadrat
Pro

did you have any track time before PSDS?

i'm wondering if i should go the advanced route first....assuming they'll let me
Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

^ i did not have track experience before PSDS. i went there, bought a 911, got a lot of track time and instruction, went back there, got more track instruction, etc.

not sure about the level of course to start with but others here can chime in.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

check over on the GT3 board. Really does not matter how much time you have, you will be better when you leave. You get real Porsche race car drivers (Hurley Haywood) instructing you. It is not either or but both. Everything about it is great.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have been there twice and going back next month. Best instruction I have seen. Excellent course content, no wasted time. I taught Air to Air combat for many years in the Air Force in front line fighters, so I do have some background in evaluating training and instructor quality. I'm not implying that DE's are not good but the level of instruction is not always consistent or of the quality of the PSDC. At PSDS all the instructors have proven themselves professionally as both drivers and instructors. You are exposed to different instructors but their message is consistent and professionally delivered. I would recommend the school without question then attend De's to hone your skills. By the way there is an interesting article on the school in the current "Pano"
Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been - it's more smiles per mile than you'll get anywhere. My wife send me for my birthday. Great track, training and the auto/cycle collection is outstanding.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

one tidbit - if anybody goes on a course that ends on a weekend, make dinner reservations and don't try to fly out immediately after the class (coochas, you know who you are).

you
  • will really enjoy a nice dinner after the class with they people you've been driving with
  • everybody
in birmingham makes dinner reservations - it's a big deal there - so you'll need to plan ahead by a couple days
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
xseal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going in May to the 2 day perf. course followed by one day Turbo course (I bought a 997tt).

Other than the helmet, any gear that one should bring. Is it worth buying driving shoes? What about gloves, you need them? Otherwise, jeans and t-shirts?

I'm a motorcycle guy so the gear for tracking is all mandatory and easy. Not sure what I need.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just sign-up and attend, you will not be disappointed.

It's GREAT!!!
I've been there a few times since '02 and will be going back next month

Barber is really a great track to drive, not really hi-speed fast, but the blind, fall away corners, do test your confidence.

btw...There is an article in the Feb Panorama about PSDS you should check out.

Quick Reply: Anyone done the Porsche Sport Driving School?