Sponsored by:

Opinion on a deal...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
sjjon
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinion on a deal...

Hey everyone, I'm a former 911 owner and am working on a deal to get another. About a year ago, I traded my 911 for a V8 Vantage which I always lusted after since it was released. Anyway, have had the Vantage for awhile and although it looks amazing, I want a car that I don't have to think twice about where I'm going to drive it and where I'm going to leave it.

The Vantage is awesome but the cost of repair and maintenance, not to mention the gross depreciation if you put over 15k on one have led me to go back to another 911.

So the current deal i've worked out with the Porsche dealer is this:
Trade in for the Vantage is $65k (07 with 13k on it)
911: 2006 911 Carrera S Cab, grey, sport chrono, bose, nav, heated seats, wind screen, full leather, 19" wheels, new tires, certified, 10k, $62k including fees.

The 911 is beautiful, lease return, former owner is a couple in their 70's who had the car in florida.

Plan is to keep the 911 and actually drive it on pretty much any day that doesn't have snow on the road, for that I have a 08 X5 4.8.

Psyched about getting another Porsche, miss having an owners community that organizes meets and everything.

What do you all think?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it and you wont regret your decision.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

You will be happy to be back to the 911 family.

I'm surprised the dealer actually quoted you a trade in price of
$65k on you Vantage and they are asking $62k for the 911.

Typically, no matter what you are trading in, it's never worth as
much as the car you are looking to buy from them (in their mind).
Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM
sjjon
Rennlist Member

agreed, originally it started out as a straight trade because they claimed they had two other buyers for their 911, I called their bluff and said I wouldn't be pushed into the deal and to sell it to someone else. A day went buy and they called back asking what they would have to do to make the deal so I lucked out!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like a great trade to me, especially considering the P-car is certified.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default what issues

Curious the issues you have had with the vantage... 07 is near new and still under factory warranty or close to it? Or do they only over 2 yr etc...

Anyway, I can't offer any good advice but do give you credit for going after the Vantage, trying something new..... I have often thought of picking up a second car like a F car 360, AM like yours, even a used Gallardo (which can be had in the 90K range these days) but the fear of break down, maintenance costs etc has always kept me at bay. The initial buy in cost was never the deterrent, it was the ownership costs....

Originally Posted by sjjon
Hey everyone, I'm a former 911 owner and am working on a deal to get another. About a year ago, I traded my 911 for a V8 Vantage which I always lusted after since it was released. Anyway, have had the Vantage for awhile and although it looks amazing, I want a car that I don't have to think twice about where I'm going to drive it and where I'm going to leave it.

The Vantage is awesome but the cost of repair and maintenance, not to mention the gross depreciation if you put over 15k on one have led me to go back to another 911.

So the current deal i've worked out with the Porsche dealer is this:
Trade in for the Vantage is $65k (07 with 13k on it)
911: 2006 911 Carrera S Cab, grey, sport chrono, bose, nav, heated seats, wind screen, full leather, 19" wheels, new tires, certified, 10k, $62k including fees.

The 911 is beautiful, lease return, former owner is a couple in their 70's who had the car in florida.

Plan is to keep the 911 and actually drive it on pretty much any day that doesn't have snow on the road, for that I have a 08 X5 4.8.

Psyched about getting another Porsche, miss having an owners community that organizes meets and everything.

What do you all think?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Dont call it luck... Thats the game you have to play. Any time a dealer says that have other people coming to buy a car, its BS. If there was another buyer, it would have been bought. If you have not bought the car you can probably get another couple K off just by telling them that you found another one for 2k less and your going to look at it.

Of course I am one to talk, I paid the sticker on my 997. But its amazing and one of a kind. So I was willing to pay.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

well....they had at least one other buyer....to their credit, they wouldn't take any money from me until they closed with you....best of luck with your new car
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

A lady at work had a beautiful 911 (my'06). One day I see a DB9 in her spot. By the time I got around to asking her about the DB9, I saw a new 911 there. She later told be that the DB9 was too much trouble, and, like you, she could not drive it everywhere. The Vantage is one of the most beautiful cars out there. It looks like you're taking a bath on the trade. Can you not keep the Vantage and get an older 911, perhaps an '05? You could drive the one that suites your mood that day. Cheers.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
sjjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mac109
well....they had at least one other buyer....to their credit, they wouldn't take any money from me until they closed with you....best of luck with your new car
Sorry man, i'm sure you'll find another, I found a few that I was interested in before pulling the trigger on this one.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 PM
sjjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alstoy
A lady at work had a beautiful 911 (my'06). One day I see a DB9 in her spot. By the time I got around to asking her about the DB9, I saw a new 911 there. She later told be that the DB9 was too much trouble, and, like you, she could not drive it everywhere. The Vantage is one of the most beautiful cars out there. It looks like you're taking a bath on the trade. Can you not keep the Vantage and get an older 911, perhaps an '05? You could drive the one that suites your mood that day. Cheers.
Honestly did think about keeping it and getting an older 911 however, i'm not taking much of a loss on the Vantage, I bought it pre-owned for $68k, figure I'm loosing $3k but then again, thats less than one annual maintenance would have cost
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sjjon
Sorry man, i'm sure you'll find another, I found a few that I was interested in before pulling the trigger on this one.
No worries....that is a great car...post pictures!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perhaps someday we can tack weld on the outer body parts of a Vantage onto a Carrera....

Quick Reply: Opinion on a deal...