Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X51 Header install this week, with dyno (05 C2S)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X51 Header install this week, with dyno (05 C2S)

Whats up! I will have a new set of X51 headers this Wednesday and will have them installed before bed time. Tomorrow I am taking the car to the dyno to have a baseline done. So I will be able to show a before and after. The only mod I have that will affect the WHP/TQ will be the Aasco flywheel. Other then that everything is stock with PSE.

I will probably remove the stock headers tomorrow evening and have it all cleaned up and ready for the new on Wednesday.

Would any one mind sharing the bolt tq specs?

Thanks!!

Steven <-- excited I get to tear something up tomorrow...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hausherrs
Whats up! I will have a new set of X51 headers this Wednesday and will have them installed before bed time. Tomorrow I am taking the car to the dyno to have a baseline done. So I will be able to show a before and after. The only mod I have that will affect the WHP/TQ will be the Aasco flywheel. Other then that everything is stock with PSE.

I will probably remove the stock headers tomorrow evening and have it all cleaned up and ready for the new on Wednesday.

Thanks!!

Looking forward to you reporting back...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks!!

EXCELLENT. Looking forward to reviewing the numbers. You can probably quanify all the claims about X51 headers. Make sure the tempreture is as close in both runs, and try to repeat as close of a setup as you can!

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Take a look at my postings from a couple of years ago. Worth noting before you get into it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-awe-cats.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...we-cats-2.html
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Very interested in your install, especially how your exhaust sound with PSE turns out...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Exhaust manifold M8x28Tightening torque 17 ftlb

Last edited by Edgy01; 02-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Default BASELINE Dyno charts!

Interesting... Much higher then I expected. Temp was 58, Sport OFF, driven 45 minutes prior to dyno.

SAE HP - 329.7@6700 & TQ - 278.7@4700
STD HP - 344.7@6700 & TQ - 291.4@4650

Thoughts??

Headers go on tomorrow then I will run it again.

Steven
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Default STD

STD chart
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice!!! Relatively flat Torque curve between 3000 to 6500 looks great... totally different than my Tubro car! gotto love the flat-6!

Can't wait to see the next dyno result to see how and if it changes.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Numbers definitely look high but as long as you use the same dyno and give the car some time to adapt to the mod you will get a good idea if there was any gain.

Putting the headers on the car and dynoing right after the mod is complete will not give you an accurate reading in my opinion.

You need to let things adapt for at least 100 miles and then go back and dyno.

You can speed the process somewhat by resetting the DME and then drive around with a couple of good WOT passes to redline to let the DME re-learn the airflow changes.

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

I plan to do the install this evening and it will probably be next week some time before I can make it back there. Luckily the shop is about 2 miles from my house so I can just stop on the way home.

Question, how do you reset the DME? Also, considering that there are no visible mods on the engine I would almost have to assume that the ECU has been flashed to get numbers like that on the dyno. How would I go about finding out if its been flashed?? As I said before, the only thing I know of that would affect the dyno numbers would be the flywheel but I cant see it freeing up 30 hp. I have the working log with DME info. Has all kinds of software revision numbers etc.

Thanks in advance!

Steven
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything I've read over the years regarding dyno is that unless you do them back-to-back with multiple pulls (ie: 3 before, immediately swap, 3 after) the numbers won't really mean anything. Reasons given were ambient temperature, humidity, etc. I guess it all has an impact on power.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonCT
Everything I've read over the years regarding dyno is that unless you do them back-to-back with multiple pulls (ie: 3 before, immediately swap, 3 after) the numbers won't really mean anything. Reasons given were ambient temperature, humidity, etc. I guess it all has an impact on power.
Ron they usually can adjust for atmospheric changes when the info is put into the dyno such as all the variables you showed. Doing a dyno run right after the install will skew results as the maps will not be adjusted to the airflow (if any) changes. Remember the arguments or debates during the old roadfly days..

I miss those days..

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

I plan to do the install this evening and it will probably be next week some time before I can make it back there. Luckily the shop is about 2 miles from my house so I can just stop on the way home.

Question, how do you reset the DME? Also, considering that there are no visible mods on the engine I would almost have to assume that the ECU has been flashed to get numbers like that on the dyno. How would I go about finding out if its been flashed?? As I said before, the only thing I know of that would affect the dyno numbers would be the flywheel but I cant see it freeing up 30 hp. I have the working log with DME info. Has all kinds of software revision numbers etc.

Thanks in advance!

Steven
Steven a LWFW can usually free up 10-12rwhp so if your SAE numbers are 329 subtract 12rwhp that would put us at 317rwhp...that is definitely attainable on a strong 997S on good fuel.

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Long live the old RoadFlea debates! I can see a tuning shop that designs products (like AWE, Fabspeed, etc.) having well-tuned dynos with weather station equipment to equalize for conditions. Even then I'd wonder with a single pull one day and a single one a week later.

I've never done a dyno because whether it says 1 HP or 10, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to justify a $ / HP. I'm interested in the science and practical experience. 9 out of 10 racers find X to work better than stock and if the science agrees, I'll try it. I'll see from my TraqMate whether there's any difference, however subtle.

Quick Reply: X51 Header install this week, with dyno (05 C2S)