Sponsored by:

Shifting your 6speed 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Funny how I just replied to another thread about this.....I use anything from 1000rpm to the redline. Cruising in traffic in 6th, 1000 is fine and changing up at 2000rpm is also fine. The only thing you need to watch is how much throttle you use. The newer DI cars need almost none to maintain speed.

And please no-one lecture me, tell me I'm ruining my engine and shouldn't be driving a Porsche. When the traffic opens up, more revs of course and my car often see's the high side of 6000-6500 including regular visits to the track.
Originally Posted by 997, esq
+1. And, fwiw, I am a person who loves sports cars and driving. There is no need to rev the engine excessively when you are cruising down a boulevard at 35 mph. You are just making noise, burning gas, and spewing carbon unnecesssarily. When driving hard, I shift a couple of hundred rpm short of redline. Driving well is contextual...
absolutely
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
+1. And, fwiw, I am a person who loves sports cars and driving. There is no need to rev the engine excessively when you are cruising down a boulevard at 35 mph. You are just making noise, burning gas, and spewing carbon unnecesssarily. When driving hard, I shift a couple of hundred rpm short of redline. Driving well is contextual...
"Driving well is contextual".....that sums it up perfectly. I have PDK at the moment, but have shifted for myself for 40 years. There are times when the rhythm of road speed, acceleration, traffic, etc. demands shifting at 7000, and others where a shift at 2500 is more appropriate. Driving in context; beautifully put 997esq.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-12-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
"Driving well is contextual".....that sums it up perfectly. I have PDK at the moment, but have shifted for myself for 40 years. There are times when the rhythm of road speed, acceleration, traffic, etc. demands shifting at 7000, and others where a shift at 2500 is more appropriate. Driving in context; beautifully put 997esq.
driving on 6sp manual is quite difficult to cruise at 2K rpm - what gear at what speed it would be? 6th goes on highway only, but anything above 70mph is already above 3K rpm at 6th.

Local roads with slowdown to 30mph and speedups to 60mph is also hardly a 6th gear territory - may be jumping from 3rd to 5th but still I find myself mostly fluctuating around 3K rpm, so it one way or another leads to shifting at 4K rpm if I do not feel like revving engine up. When all this activity gets subdued to background level it is really difficult even to notice details of it. As I drove today after reading this topic I just tried to memorize what is it I do exactly. Not a single time rpms went below 2K and I noticed that I automatically downshift after crossing line below 2K or go into neutral.

So I am not sure why anybody would even suggest driving at any gear having 1K rpm - I am not sure how even to achieve that, may be only on automatic transmission, but on manual reflexes simply do not allow that to happen.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

nobody is suggesting driving at idle speed. However, light throttle at 1700rpm is just fine. If you need to quickly accelerate, then you downshift.

no big deal.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
jca3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellas-

I wouldn't get too worked up about the civility of this forum, or its members. Do you want to see REAL vitriol? Take a voyage over to my "other sport" and the forums of sailinganarchy.com where the forums are a complete free-for-all. Like here, there is a wealth of info (anyone who sails knows its the ONLY place to go) but in an almost unmoderated forum, it can get pretty salty (as it were).

My impressions in my short time here? Polite, encouraging, civil citizens. Sometimes overly nice (why do we congratulate everyone on the smallest of accomplishments and ask them to post pics of their stock 911 like we've never seen one?). I'd have to rank order the Porsche forums from most liberal to most conservative: 6speedonline, rennlist, renntech.

There's probably a correlation to site traffic volume with that... with a bigger society, you have to sort more chaff to get to the wheat.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 AM
gamehaus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that keeping shifts under 3k keep my wife from throwing up. When just driving around town I try to keep shifts to 1-2-4 in the 3-4k range and do my best to stay in 2nd in casual traffic. Once I'm moving pretty good shifting 2-4-6 seems to work well. I find that there is little difference between 5 and 6 until you get into illegal speeds. Keeping shifts throttle-sync'ed and close to 3k will give you that BMW 7-series feeling.

I am really reluctant to drop into 1st gear so I find myself keeping a wide distance with the car in front of me if things are moving slow.

In most cases I find that the power is there when you need it. This car is ... dangerous.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For easy driving I shift after 3500. Having fun, between 4800-5500. Track/DEs 6500+
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. And the moderators axed my (satirical) thread about what color socks you wear.

Quick Reply: Shifting your 6speed 997