Sponsored by:

Shifting your 6speed 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
When you guys are driving around town, not spirited just point A to B driving, at what RPM's do you shift your 911?

What does Porsche recommend?
a) When I want to kick a Shelby's azz, I shifty around 6500k...
b) when just chilling and having fun, around 4500-5500k\

Just playin'...saw the prior thread on the GT / porsche issue.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I need to trade it in for a Prius.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Do you have a shift indicator light on your dash? I don't.
hey law. arrow on the speedo shows up when it's time to shift up; it's in the manual.

And the others: all the machismo around reving up to 5500-6500 around town is just laughable. To me, that is showing off your toy in front of a some prius driving bystander. Belong in the same league as Chopper driving dudes setting off car-alarms in the middle of a town, to seek attention.

The manual clearly states that for better fuel economy, shift as soon as the up arrow is displayed for better mileage. The darn arrow shows up as soon as tach goes above 2,100 or so. I would think it wouldnt be in the manual if the engineers were worried such shifting would cause harsher engine wear. Europeans I know upshift like their life depends on it; i guess it's a habit from having to pay $10/g for gas.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
max torque is in area of 4500 rpm so it would be odd to shift up prior to this point. My optimal cruising is at 2500-3500 rpm with usual upshifting at 4.5K-5K. That keeps me with 16mpg milage.
If this is what you actually do, then you are truly missing the point of shifting.

If the max torque area is around 4500 RPM (give or take) and you SHIFT up at that point to the next higher gear, where do you think your RPMs will be after that shift? They will be considerbly BELOW 4500 rpm, due to the different gear ratios. You optimally (for true exploitation of your best torque production) is to shift it higher so that when you are in the higher gear the RPMs have only fallen off to about 4500 rpms so that when you punch it again (as you continue to accelerate) you are in the peak torque range to the maximum extent possible. If you shift at 4500 rpm, you wind up lugging the engine and asking it to accelerate when it is BELOW the peak torque range.

Ideally, as you are working your way up the gears you keep the RPMs up sufficiently with each gear change to keep the engine speed up high enough to avoid lugging the engine.

Fortunately, with a 3.6 or 3.8 liter engine, we have substantially more torque than ever before in a 911 engine and so we actually can drop the rpms lower than ever before -- but you still don't want to ever accelerate from below 2000 rpm.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
hey law. arrow on the speedo shows up when it's time to shift up; it's in the manual.

And the others: all the machismo around reving up to 5500-6500 around town is just laughable. To me, that is showing off your toy in front of a some prius driving bystander. Belong in the same league as Chopper driving dudes setting off car-alarms in the middle of a town, to seek attention.

The manual clearly states that for better fuel economy, shift as soon as the up arrow is displayed for better mileage. The darn arrow shows up as soon as tach goes above 2,100 or so. I would think it wouldnt be in the manual if the engineers were worried such shifting would cause harsher engine wear. Europeans I know upshift like their life depends on it; i guess it's a habit from having to pay $10/g for gas.
The shift arrow only exists in the non-manual transmission cars.

If you bought the car to lug the engine below 2000 then you bought the wrong car entirely. I understand they're opening up the Toyota lines again...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The shift arrow only exists in the non-manual transmission cars.

If you bought the car to lug the engine below 2000 then you bought the wrong car entirely. I understand they're opening up the Toyota lines again...

My 997.2 6 speed has the shift arrow, but once I activate sport it does not come on.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

If this is what you actually do, then you are truly missing the point of shifting.

If the max torque area is around 4500 RPM (give or take) and you SHIFT up at that point to the next higher gear, where do you think your RPMs will be after that shift? They will be considerbly BELOW 4500 rpm, due to the different gear ratios. You optimally (for true exploitation of your best torque production) is to shift it higher so that when you are in the higher gear the RPMs have only fallen off to about 4500 rpms so that when you punch it again (as you continue to accelerate) you are in the peak torque range to the maximum extent possible. If you shift at 4500 rpm, you wind up lugging the engine and asking it to accelerate when it is BELOW the peak torque range.

Ideally, as you are working your way up the gears you keep the RPMs up sufficiently with each gear change to keep the engine speed up high enough to avoid lugging the engine.

Fortunately, with a 3.6 or 3.8 liter engine, we have substantially more torque than ever before in a 911 engine and so we actually can drop the rpms lower than ever before -- but you still don't want to ever accelerate from below 2000 rpm.
Operating the engine below the torque peak does not mean you are lugging the engine. Lugging the engine is when the rpms are so low the engine has virtually no power, cannot accerate at all, labors and it vibrates. For many cars this is below 1000 rpms for a 997 this more like below 1500 rpms. True, for max performance you want to shift just past the peak hp so that you end up in the next gear in the meat of the torque curve. For casual, relaxed driving, there is no need to shift at 4500rpms and one does not need to be near the torque peak. I think that the manual states that one should not be below 2000 rpm in 6th gear.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Around town, 4k once up to temp. Back roads, different story.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

...If you bought the car to lug the engine below 2000 then you bought the wrong car entirely.
IMHO... If this is the case, then I fear you bought a car that you will never get to enjoy the 997 at it's full potential. Drive it as though you stold it... it's at this point you'll experience and fully enjoy the marquee as it was intended.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
IMHO... If this is the case, then I fear you bought a car that you will never get to enjoy the 997 at it's full potential. Drive it as though you stold it... it's at this point you'll experience and fully enjoy the marquee as it was intended.
I think the OT was relating to around town with cars in front and in back of them. At least, that's how I interpreted it. It's not easy to drive it ***** to the walls with a car in front of you. Or smash the pedal down only to have to stop for a light. It's no fun IMHO. If I want a fun drive I take it out of the congestion and hit a back road.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Is it just me, or is this an odd question to come up on a Porsche forum? Guys, if you don't know how to drive a stick shift you should be buying a Prius or something.
Edgy01 - I like your style!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Buy a Toyota and you can blame it on your bad brakes.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I think the OT was relating to around town with cars in front and in back of them. At least, that's how I interpreted it. It's not easy to drive it ***** to the walls with a car in front of you. Or smash the pedal down only to have to stop for a light. It's no fun IMHO. If I want a fun drive I take it out of the congestion and hit a back road.
You're right and I stand corrected. I couldn't agree with you more... albiet I guess my point being, while you can clearly drive these cars around town, they're a throughbred that that's bred to run... to each their own but I wouldn't baby the car. I agree with Dan's point, once the car is at temp (when under op temp I shift at 3K) you'd be better off driving the car over 3,000 rmp in the respective gear around town in heavy traffic. The 997 is a durable car, I wouldn't be concerned about babying it... one man's opinion.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Buy a Toyota and you can blame it on your bad brakes.
I have a Honda Civic hatchback for around town driving. I refer to it as my practical side
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Around 4,000. Seems to shift the smoothest from 1-2 in that range. Lower than that the shift feels notchy.

Quick Reply: Shifting your 6speed 997