Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i think this is what your talking about:

M does not UPSHIFT in regular driving... even under extreme driving

UNLESS:

you use "kickdown" mode.. in "kickdown" mode (the click after u push pedal all the way down) the car DOES UPSHIFT at max RPM's to give you the fastest acceleration possible....

BUT:

when you let off the "kickdown" the car stays in the last gear, and you must physically shift the car up to let the rev's die down.

great system, i always forget i was in manual mode when i kickdown and when i let off the rev's are at like 5k and i have to shift the car manually.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Wrong. In terms of what was being discussed. "I" am not free to do so.

Rather if the PDK computer has approves it then it, errr....., I mean the car and Porsche engineers are free to do so.
Nonsense. One is always free to use M.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's clear that you should no lug the engine. that is bad. you put excess load on bearings and crank and lubrication gets messed up.

generally speaking, if you apply throttle and don't accelerate, you're lugging the engine, which is bad.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have yet to notice my car's PDK behaving differently than as described by Porsche.

Getting familiar with the owner's manual and the car is the best place to start getting an understanding of the PDK.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
thats right. However, its will not upshift even when i do.
what? That doesnt make sense. Your car doesnt upshift - when you hit the paddle button or push the gear lever fwd?

You may want to take it in. Thats wrong.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
There must be some mistake in our communication Herr Doctor. In "auto" mode the car will not lug itself. AFAIK, in M mode the car will not allow the driver make the engine lug itself. So, with PDK, the computer is protecting the engine according to Porsche engineers' wishes. If I remember correctly you were concerned a driver could damage or stress the engine by running at too low an RPM which you choose never to do; again AFAIK, that's impossible.

IOW, as awful as it may appear to you, if the car allows you to drive in 6th gear at 30mph: so be it. Of course one may emotionally feel better to elevate RPMs beyond what is necessary.

Please correct me if this is wrong.
I do not care what the programmed D (SC Normal) mode is. If I feel that the RPMs are too low I just move to M mode and down shift myself. Crystal clear for you?

No emotions involved in judging RPMs - just experience.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I never drive in auto - non-sport.. It changes to higher gears too quickly. Only use auto sport or manual.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I never drive in auto - non-sport.. It changes to higher gears too quickly. Only use auto sport or manual.
Same here. Mostly manual. I like to keep the RPM's up higher as well.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
what? That doesnt make sense. Your car doesnt upshift - when you hit the paddle button or push the gear lever fwd?

You may want to take it in. Thats wrong.
Lemme clarify. When I'm at full throttle, in M model, the tranny will not upshift unless at the top of the rev range. It wont upshift if I'm, say, at 4000rpm full throttle.

Also you guys are right. In auto mode the tranny does upshift very early. I just drove it this pm and it upshifts into 6th at approx 33-34mph. At that point the engine speed is approx 1400rpms. Seems kinda low to me.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

define m mode- m mode on the shifter will have you hit the rev limiter if you dnt advance the gear- when you engage "m" mode by toggling the steering wheel buttons it behaves differently and will resume auto mode on its own rather than hit the rev limiter
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Lemme clarify. When I'm at full throttle, in M model, the tranny will not upshift unless at the top of the rev range. It wont upshift if I'm, say, at 4000rpm full throttle.

Also you guys are right. In auto mode the tranny does upshift very early. I just drove it this pm and it upshifts into 6th at approx 33-34mph. At that point the engine speed is approx 1400rpms. Seems kinda low to me.
You've kicked it down and are holding full throttle, yes? So you are telling the car you want maximum acceleration. Just ease up on the throttle and shift when you are done with maximum.

I don't find the low revs/high gear thing to be a problem in a relaxed driving situation - the engine is not lugging (probably can't due to electronic control) - as there is plenty of power to a) keep the car rolling forward, and b) accelerate normally if needed, or c) the program will shift down automatically if necessary. That's not lugging.

If you actually lugged the engine, and again I doubt it will let you (maybe in Manual - have not tried really), it would be very obvious and disconcerting.

That said I usually prefer the less economical Sport mode and/or manual.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
alain-964c2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you who have used PDK miss a manual transmission?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

As has been previously stated, the lowered RPM range for shifting, may have been, more influenced by the need for better gas mileage, possibly to the detriment of prolonged engine life.
I could not continue to use auto comfortably in my own mind, coming from a 6 speed, when shifting was below 2K RPM!
My .02!
PS No, I do not miss my 6 speed!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I assume by M Model (sic) - you mean manual mode. In manual, it wont upshift at any revs - unless YOU upshift - period. It will bounce off the rev limiter unless you shift. So at 4000 rpm, 5000rpm - it doesnt matter - shift when you want to shift.

In auto - there is normal mode - which is terrible and tries to maximize gas mileage. It tries to get to high gears very fast. I never use this mode.

In auto - there's sport mode. This is what I use. It keeps it in lower gears for longer. Its more aggressive.

Sport Plus is impractical for the street.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alain-964c2
Any of you who have used PDK miss a manual transmission?
Not yet I really like PDK especially in manual mode. Stick it in auto if I'm on the phone or chatting with someone in the car.

But again my objective is to drive this car as much as I can. Like every day.

Quick Reply: Learned something new about my pdk