Sponsored by:

Learned something new about my pdk

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Learned something new about my pdk

I didnt know that the pdk actually shifts automatically in "M" mode.
Y'day while cruising on the fway I gave it more gas and the tranny kicked down into a lower gear.
I also noticed that when accelerating hard, again in M mode, the PDK will not upshift unless the engine is near the rpm limit.

Interesting, because I thot I had full control, unless of course my actions would damage the engine like going from7th to 1st.
tks
Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, pretty much like the manual mode in tiptronic.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's Audi TTS with DSG, does the same thing, not sure if I like that feature. I downshift it to about 4500rpm and full throttle it and it automatically downshifts to 5500rpm. I as wondering if the PDK did the same!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I dont recall if the setting was Normal, sport, or Sport +. I wonder if it makes a difference.
Im guessing the tranny does this for maximum performance???
perhaps in my 1st example above the car is thinking:" I'm cruising in top gear & my driver just mashed my throttle, so I gotta find a gear thats gonna get it done!"
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
...Y'day while cruising on the fway I gave it more gas and the tranny kicked down into a lower gear. ...
Interesting, because I thot I had full control, unless of course my actions would damage the engine like going from7th to 1st.
tks
It seems that you answered your own question. The system saved you from lugging the engine... and you complain?

BTW... it never happened to me. I guess I do not lug the engine.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm betting at start up when the engine is cold, or not at full operating temp, PDK also limits what it will allow you to do shift-wise.

As far as lugging is concerned it will also show you how low RPMs can go when cruising without causing excess wear or damage. It'll probably surprise most guys.
I do not allow it to cruise that low. I switch to M and I am in control. Lugging the engine is bad.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 442 Posts

My bimmer actually has a kickdown switch at the bottom of the pedal. So if I floor the car, it will not downshift in M mode unless i push even harder to hit the switch. I think the PDK should be like that. Much more control that way.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 582 Posts

I didnt know that the pdk actually shifts automatically in "M" mode.
Y'day while cruising on the fway I gave it more gas and the tranny kicked down into a lower gear.
I also noticed that when accelerating hard, again in M mode, the PDK will not upshift unless the engine is near the rpm limit.

tks
I may be wrong on this but in M (manual) it will not up shift for you. It just bounces off the rev limiter. As for down shifts, it will only down shift when youre coming to a stop and are in for example 4th, it will drop to the highest gear that it can be in without "lugging". First for a complete stop. Also, theres a kickdown - if you floor it, it wont down shift, unless you floor it past the kickdown (it will feel like a click). Then it will go to the best gear to maximize acceleration.

I think thats how it works.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Demystification

From the 997.2 Technik:
An upshift at the engine speed limit is
only accomplished if there is a kickdown in the engine speed limit range (panic shifting).
From the 997.2 Owner's Manual:
Kickdown
The kickdown function is active in selector lever
positions D and M.
For optimum acceleration, e.g. when
overtaking, depress the accelerator pedal
beyond the full-throttle point (kickdown).
The transmission shifts down depending on the
speed of travel and engine speed.
Upward shifts occur at the highest possible engine
speeds.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sir, I'm figuring Porsche's got that all taken care of. Unless all they care about is getting their engines thru the warranty period. Low cruising RPM makes sense because of the big Tq numbers. Most guys aren't used to that and so higher RPMs seem natural..
I think you are right. I doubt the car is programmed to lug the engine. I know they are shooting for some high fuel economy numbers that can only be acheived with a sedate driving style, but I doubt they would sacrifice the engine for them. That or they just don't expect anyone to drive it in Auto/Normal.

I don't find keeping high revs necessary - it is somewhat of a mental battle but my SMG BMW helped get me used to it - especially when gas was knocking on the door of $5/gal for a month or so. I am still always astonished at how quickly this car will get down to business - zipping up from 2K to 5k before I can even think about it. No need to keep it "ready"; it is always ready!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Sir, I'm figuring Porsche's got that all taken care of. Unless all they care about is getting their engines thru the warranty period. Low cruising RPM makes sense because of the big Tq numbers. Most guys aren't used to that and so higher RPMs seem natural..
I do not allow the car to run in town at 30MPH in 6th gear. You are free to do so.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

tks
With my 2005 Tiptronic, manual mode would still downshift with throttle and upshift at redline. I wouldn't get full manual control unless PSM was turned off (it would then bounce off the rev limiter).
Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
I do not allow the car to run in town at 30MPH in 6th gear. You are free to do so.
Im not positive, until i recheck it later, but in auto mode the PDK is in 6th at about 30ish.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by rodsky
I may be wrong on this but in M (manual) it will not up shift for you.
thats right. However, its will not upshift even when i do.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Im not positive, until i recheck it later, but in auto mode the PDK is in 6th at about 30ish.
OK. Let's say 30+MPH. I do not allow that in 6th gear. They do that to look good on EPA testing, but I know better than the EPA.

Quick Reply: Learned something new about my pdk