Sponsored by:

Learned something new about my pdk

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Im now driving in sport mode most of the time, except when the engine is cold. tks
There's a "cold engine" program map as well. It's like an iPhone, this thing, for any conditions - there's a (m)app for that.

Last edited by stevepow; 02-11-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 582 Posts

Im now driving in sport mode most of the time, except when the engine is cold. tks
You can drive in sport even when its cold - i put it in sport right away, just keep RPM's below 4k until oil reaches 175.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the Iphone, there's an app too at an additional cost!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the Iphone, there's an app too at an additional cost!
I know you meant to say "appditional" cost.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,514 Posts

I'm a 6-speed guy but am chiming in on the "lugging" and "milage" points in this thread. I find them interesting as after I drove a pdk recently, noticed how it changed up very early compared with my normal technique but also how much better the milage was, I tried the same approach in my 997.2 C2S.

So rather than changing up at 3500-4000 rpm I started changing up at 2000rpm and just using light throttle to avoid loading the engine unduely. And what I found straight away was several things:
  • The milage improved dramatically. From 15 or so (in US mpg) to over 20 even around town
  • Anything above 1000 rpm and the car drives very happily, even on moderate hills
I'm not saying I drive this way all the time but it has for much of my regular commute and it's certainly changed my perceptions of how these cars need to be driven. Hell, these are 180+mph capable true world class sports cars that can be driven to the shops like your grandma's Corolla. Amazing.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
I'm not saying I drive this way all the time but it has for much of my regular commute and it's certainly changed my perceptions of how these cars need to be driven. Hell, these are 180+mph capable true world class sports cars that can be driven to the shops like your grandma's Corolla. Amazing.
Exactly. Very well put IMHO

The longevity thing is illusive. Mine will be sold long before the engine wears out. Nobody here owns a car museum and, given todays's situation, who is realistically going to own the same long-lived car in 20 years?

Heck, just my opinion. I'm sure I'll suffer for having it.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I think the only time that you can possibly damage a Turbo motor with a PDK tranny is if you take it out of gear and free rev it quickly to redline. The momentum of such a high, free-reving engine would carry into territory above the redline. With the car in gear it would appear to be impossible to do a "money shift" or anything like that.

Porsche most likely programs these PDK transmissions for performance as opposed to fuel economy. (Isn't that why the Porsche is purchased?) But a conservative driver can certainly make his conservative nature known by the car as it learns that driver's driving characteristics. If you by nature are a conservative driver, shifting early without winding it out, the PDK will keep note of that. Of course, driving a turbo 911 is significantly different than driving a 997 without a turbo. There is so much excessive torque in a turbo motor than there is little to gain by winding it out.
Thanks for the response Dan. Hard to give any better evaluation until our weather clears here in Ct . I should be able to get her out on Sunday. Hopefully to start breaking her in. In time I will able to give a better impression of the overall dynamics of the PDK in the turbo when abel to drive her more.

Jay
Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
I'm a 6-speed guy but am chiming in on the "lugging" and "milage" points in this thread. I find them interesting as after I drove a pdk recently, noticed how it changed up very early compared with my normal technique but also how much better the milage was, I tried the same approach in my 997.2 C2S.

So rather than changing up at 3500-4000 rpm I started changing up at 2000rpm and just using light throttle to avoid loading the engine unduely. And what I found straight away was several things:
  • The milage improved dramatically. From 15 or so (in US mpg) to over 20 even around town
  • Anything above 1000 rpm and the car drives very happily, even on moderate hills
Wow, who would have guessed the voice of reason, on a PDK thread, would come from an MT driver and an Aggie to boot! Great post.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gig'em!!!

Quick Reply: Learned something new about my pdk