Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.

My 911 is a keeper and not going anywhere. But dang it if that Boxster Spyder isn't tugging at my heart strings. Wife needs a new car soon and she's a luxury SUV or luxury sports sedan type. A second sports car is just not justified, but I really am smitten with the concept of the Boxster Spyder.

Light weight (in this era anyway) with more hp and a super cool look. I don't need no stinking radio or a/c, I'll take that Spyder. It's got to be the Porsche performance bang for the buck leader.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I like it too.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

It's the lightest Porsche in the line-up and it looks awesome.

You've really got to want it though to pay an extra $3,500 so they can take out the radio and a/c of a Boxster S.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 AM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it but it's pretty weak in the bang for the buck department. For me it's one or the other so I'm sticking to the C2S.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it alot and would seriously consider one were I in the market for a drop top.

But I would definitely remove the stickers.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

OK as a weekend (rain-free) car fine. Not practical as a SUV/sports sedan replacement.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think its practical at all, and would be a silly buy anywhere that rains... i hate people that buy a car and don't drive it... and that car just gives you excuse after excuse not to drive it...

i love how our 911's have no compromises and just get better and better.. i bought a porsche to drive it everyday without worries and without excuses... how much better/faster could the spyder be than the useful normal boxter? the pro's dont outweigh the con's to me.. again just my opinion.

when i get married, the wife will surely have a cayenne or equivalent SUV... best bang for the buck and uber useful.. a household could have 911 and a cayenne and have every possible angle covered... without compromise.. fun roads in the country, hauling potting soil, picking the family up from the airport, bringing home lumber from the home depot, going offroad on the way to a camp site, etc etc etc etc... the combination of a 911 and a cayenne just covers everything... the boxter spyder only solves the "go from A to B maybe a few lb's lighter than a normal boxter would... but still not even getting remotely close to the boundaries of the boxter, much less the spyder"...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:39 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a car for GA - You could drive it May and October, on the clear days, otherwise too hot or too cold or too rainy - upside is that it would last forever because you never drive it.

I like the looks of the car, but that's it for me - Boxster S seems like a better way to go for that sort of car.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i dont think its practical at all, and would be a silly buy anywhere that rains... i hate people that buy a car and don't drive it... and that car just gives you excuse after excuse not to drive it...

i love how our 911's have no compromises and just get better and better.. i bought a porsche to drive it everyday without worries and without excuses... how much better/faster could the spyder be than the useful normal boxter? the pro's dont outweigh the con's to me.. again just my opinion.

when i get married, the wife will surely have a cayenne or equivalent SUV... best bang for the buck and uber useful.. a household could have 911 and a cayenne and have every possible angle covered... without compromise.. fun roads in the country, hauling potting soil, picking the family up from the airport, bringing home lumber from the home depot, going offroad on the way to a camp site, etc etc etc etc... the combination of a 911 and a cayenne just covers everything... the boxter spyder only solves the "go from A to B maybe a few lb's lighter than a normal boxter would... but still not even getting remotely close to the boundaries of the boxter, much less the spyder"...
Agreed!

Maybe as a 3rd/4th car, if your garage is that big... and if you live where it doesn't rain much.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:12 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's a cool car, but not cool enough that I'd get rid of my Boxster S to get one. I love my S, and for many of the reasons already given I'll be keeping it. My Boxster does everything the Spyder does and then some.

I'd love to try one though!

Phil
Old 02-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Maybe as a 3rd/4th car, if your garage is that big... and if you live where it doesn't rain much.
That just happens to be my situation. I live where the climate is beautiful just about every day of the year. Have a luxury sedan, SUV, and the 911, so it would be a replacement for the wife's old sedan as a third car. But I know she won't go for it and four cars is very hard to justify, especially in this economy.

As I said before, my 911 is a keeper, I wouldn't dream of trading it. But the Boxster Spyder a pure driver's car and that's what I love about it. It's not practical at all, 100% a toy. The only other Porsche that is just as track focused is the GT3/GT3 RS. But in some ways the Spyder is even more of a pure sports car - IMHO (puts on flame suit). For a mere 3K extra, you get one serious driver's machine, compare that to the premium for a GT3 or GT3 RS. That's what I meant by performance bang for your buck.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to have a Boxster...it was my first Porsche and I loved it. But the 911 is more practical for me now since I have 3 kids. I hope I can get one in the future. BTW, I would go with a regular Boxster S, the Spyder is too compromised. Then again, if it's a weekend toy, then yes.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No interest, my 997 CAB is incredible. I had a Cayman S, there's no comparison between the Boxter/Cayman and the 911.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hate to say it but I don't like it at all. I have an 05 Boxster S that I drive on the street and my kids DE in. It's a very capable car on its own. The main thing I don't like about the Spyder is the top (or lack thereof). Give me a "normal" Boxster S Sport or whatever you want to call it with the lightweight parts and pieces, performance enhancements, etc. but keep the radio and AC. Anyone that's going to get serious about weight is going to rip everything out anyway and turn it into a race car. So the whole thing feels like a gimmick to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed!

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
That just happens to be my situation. I live where the climate is beautiful just about every day of the year. Have a luxury sedan, SUV, and the 911.

As I said before, my 911 is a keeper, I wouldn't dream of trading it. But the Boxster Spyder a pure driver's car and that's what I love about it. It's not practical at all, 100% a toy. The only other Porsche that is just as track focused is the GT3/GT3 RS. But in some ways the Spyder is even more of a pure sports car - IMHO (puts on flame suit). For a mere 3K extra, you get one serious driver's machine, compare that to the premium for a GT3 or GT3 RS. That's what I meant by performance bang for your buck.
Fully agreed. No flame here.

We would be what is called "The Porsche Target Demographic"...lol

The Spyder is pure sex, no doubt. The lust for one is undeniable. In my mind, a garage with Cayenne, C2S or C4S, GT3RS, and Spyder is perfect. Like a fully stocked Snap-On roll-cab and top chest. Every instrument for every situation.

Quick Reply: How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.