Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 03:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Indeed, they are starting with an existing platform, an existing parts bin, and have a price point to meet. YA911Fan, all things considered, not sure how much more you could expect to extract. You have to go back 25+ years for a 911 of this weight, and 15 years for a Boxster of this weight. And both of those vintages had only ~200hp.

The Spyder can be driven in a rainstorm. Automatic car washes are not advised, nor are speeds over 125mph.
Old 02-12-2010 | 08:57 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

For sure this isn't the best they can do, but I'm sure it's about as good as they can do without creating an entirely different platform. There's only so much weight savings you can realistically apply to a Boxster/Cayman chassis. I'm confident that if Porsche could start from a blank page they could make a truly innovative bare-bones car. Whether there's actually a market for something like that is an unanswered question, though.

I'm impressed by what they were able to do with what they had to work with, and it's a good indicator that their focus in in the right place going forward. Hopefully this is a sign of what we can expect to see from future models 5-10 years down the road.
Old 02-12-2010 | 09:06 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

I am with OP on desiring a Boxster Spyder. Cool looking car (minus graphics) and i like the idea of lower weight/higher HP. I wouldn't trade my 911S coupe for it but it would make a nice weekend only car in the summer!
Old 02-14-2010 | 12:13 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Yawn....

Oh look everyone we have a scholar.... U must be a heck of a scrable player....Pardon me, but I hope you don't actually speak that way in public, U sound a bit like an ***. Anyway...Start a new thread by posting some unique pics of your cool looking bone stock silver 997...maybe live on the edge and get some porsche crest valve stem caps?

Modding is in my blood, my watches have custom straps, winter trucks have lots of mods, modded PWC's etc...like to have something no one else has and find it fun to see something evolve. Added the 997TT deck lid because no one else has one and most of the after market wings to me just don't look right... for the faux PCCB's... faded calipers needed paint, and yellow calipers have been accenting P cars and other calipers on cars for years before PCCbs. I think they look great behind my glitzy RUF wheels....

Back on topic..... Wow, did not realize this car scooted around the twisties so swiftly, as some here have noted. I stand corrected, if the car can back up the the cladding and loss of options (like AC and stereo etc) I guess maybe I would be more open to it....

Originally Posted by brendorenn
"all this glitz" ? don't you have a carrera dressed up like a turbo with faux-painted pccb's? glitz, perhaps?

not sure where i see how this criticism reconciles itself. pardon my cognitive dissonance
Old 02-14-2010 | 07:26 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

You're right that a 911 + Cayenne is a great combo. So, forget the Spyder, swallow hard and ditch your keeper 911 and get a GT3 - you'll never look back
Old 02-16-2010 | 01:30 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
That just happens to be my situation. I live where the climate is beautiful just about every day of the year. Have a luxury sedan, SUV, and the 911, so it would be a replacement for the wife's old sedan as a third car. But I know she won't go for it and four cars is very hard to justify, especially in this economy.

As I said before, my 911 is a keeper, I wouldn't dream of trading it. But the Boxster Spyder a pure driver's car and that's what I love about it. It's not practical at all, 100% a toy. The only other Porsche that is just as track focused is the GT3/GT3 RS. But in some ways the Spyder is even more of a pure sports car - IMHO (puts on flame suit). For a mere 3K extra, you get one serious driver's machine, compare that to the premium for a GT3 or GT3 RS. That's what I meant by performance bang for your buck.
It flays my heart to say it, but I agree. If we had room in our life for a toy and a real car both, I'd buy that Spyder in a minute. Our C2S is a sports car that will masquerade as a GT for daily driver purposes, and I love it for that. But let me be honest: it has power and handling reserves I'll never be able to dip into without going to the track. I cannot possibly get the whole good of it, so the fact that it is so much faster -- potentially -- is not a real issue.

The Spyder has less power and never pretends to be a GT even if that's what you need at the moment. It is pure Sports Car with upper case SC, just like the originals that were running around when all we could afford was an MG. I love it.

On the clear understanding that I would drive it only to the club (the long way for fun) and once in awhile to dinner if Cindy liked it, I would buy one. If I lived in San Diego or someplace along that stretch of coast. Maybe parts of Florida. Of course, we live in the Mojave Desert, so all this is hypothetical.

Gary
Who can barely justify a Honda Civic these days for what
little driving we do, but be damned to practicality
Old 02-16-2010 | 01:42 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I secretly desire a Boxster Spyder but I'm not a 997 owner any more.

Of course, I secretly desire a third 997, too. And a GT3 RS. And a Gallardo 560-4. And an Aston V12 Vantage. And Alessandra Ambrosio.

Mostly, Alessandra Ambrosio... but a Boxster Spyder, too.
Old 02-16-2010 | 02:06 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Oh look everyone we have a scholar.... U must be a heck of a scrable player....Pardon me, but I hope you don't actually speak that way in public, U sound a bit like an ***. Anyway...Start a new thread by posting some unique pics of your cool looking bone stock silver 997...maybe live on the edge and get some porsche crest valve stem caps?

Modding is in my blood, my watches have custom straps, winter trucks have lots of mods, modded PWC's etc...like to have something no one else has and find it fun to see something evolve. Added the 997TT deck lid because no one else has one and most of the after market wings to me just don't look right... for the faux PCCB's... faded calipers needed paint, and yellow calipers have been accenting P cars and other calipers on cars for years before PCCbs. I think they look great behind my glitzy RUF wheels....
Let me get this straight. You confirm the description of your car, so you certainly invited the question as to why you object to glitz on a Spyder when you went to great expense adding it to your own car. The question seems reasonable, and civil as well. Yet I missed the answer.

Second, you're objecting to someone having a vocabulary larger than your own? Or was it the having friends he can talk to who also have a reasonable vocabulary? The first should be easier to fix than faded paint on calipers. Have they quit marketing those word-a-day rolls of toilet paper? As for the friends... well, you need to be less pugnacious I suppose. Or wasn't that your question?

Gary, admittedly a scholar, so he probably is
missing the point of being so discourteous
Old 02-16-2010 | 11:06 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default to be clear... now move on.

"dressed up like a turbo with faux-painted pccb's"

Do you really believe the above depiction is in kindness? This thread is not about my car but the boxter spyder so how did I invite anything personal? I never intended to fool/faux anyone with my attempt to make my car unique and you can find that in my earliest of posts....no claim to them being PCCB and no Turbo badges added etc...

In an attempt to clarify my initial comment, here goes....
IMO modding a car (what ever the results) is always different then factory attempts to do so. Some get it right and others, well to me are not in my taste. The CS Clubsport s2000 looks terrible to me but have seen many nicely modded s2000's at tracks around here. Not a huge fan of the Viper ACR's styling (performance is amazing) but prefer the design and aesthetics on a none ACR viper... the new GT3 RS with its flag like graphics and accent colors are not for me either...yet love modded P cars. So when the OP asked who secretly desires a Boxter Spyder I simply replied.

Hoping this helps such well educated and verbose scholars as yourselves better understand my initial post.

Be well.....

Originally Posted by simsgw
Let me get this straight. You confirm the description of your car, so you certainly invited the question as to why you object to glitz on a Spyder when you went to great expense adding it to your own car. The question seems reasonable, and civil as well. Yet I missed the answer.

Second, you're objecting to someone having a vocabulary larger than your own? Or was it the having friends he can talk to who also have a reasonable vocabulary? The first should be easier to fix than faded paint on calipers. Have they quit marketing those word-a-day rolls of toilet paper? As for the friends... well, you need to be less pugnacious I suppose. Or wasn't that your question?

Gary, admittedly a scholar, so he probably is
missing the point of being so discourteous
Old 02-16-2010 | 01:07 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas

Amen brother. Amen.
Old 02-16-2010 | 06:31 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I secretly desire a Boxster Spyder but I'm not a 997 owner any more.

Of course, I secretly desire a third 997, too. And a GT3 RS. And a Gallardo 560-4. And an Aston V12 Vantage. And Alessandra Ambrosio.

Well said!
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:15 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Hoping this helps such well educated and verbose scholars as yourselves better understand my initial post.
Your point was not that hard to grasp. You don't want to buy things with glitz provided by the manufacturer. You want to add your own, with mods to your taste. Entirely reasonable and traditional approach to cars.

My objection was to your manners. Instead of explaining this when asked the obvious question, you made your reply a mocking personal attack.

Gary
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:40 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default come on...

your clearly a smart guy and have to admit his note about my personal car was a bit crass. Why I replied the way I did. But anyway....

Let's move on......

Happy to hear the spyder performed the way it did on the track.... after reading this thread and some articles on my own I still don't want one but could....Pardon my ignorance on its performambce stats. Visually sometimes these cars need to be seen in person to pass final judgement.

Originally Posted by simsgw
Your point was not that hard to grasp. You don't want to buy things with glitz provided by the manufacturer. You want to add your own, with mods to your taste. Entirely reasonable and traditional approach to cars.

My objection was to your manners. Instead of explaining this when asked the obvious question, you made your reply a mocking personal attack.

Gary
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:54 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

mickfluff, you should post a pic of the car - I don't think it is glitzy at all, but tasteful for a modded 911. The RUF wheels look all business and no fuss, and the rear deck lid looks right. That along with it being gray - not really what I would call "glitz".

We all have different tastes though - no need to shoot arrows over who likes what color or mod or car. I think your car looks great, but I love the flagged up GT3 too...and that black Spyder - I could see that, in another life. I even like my plain ol' black and tan C2, but it doesn't hurt to look.
Old 02-16-2010 | 08:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Let's move on......
Fair enough. The bottle stands by you, sir.

Quick Reply: How many of you 997 owners secretly desire a Boxster Spyder? I do.