Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DFI engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

36000 miles on my 997.2 HPFP also replaced on the campaign, but i didn't have any issues with the old one. New one also working fine. Oil consumption is minimal, maybe 1/2 qt every 5000 miles.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

Gary's correct on the injector. I have yet to have an injector issue on any Porsche. Spark plugs are a different story.

I spent half a day once chasing an ignition problem with my 944 turbo GTS class. At least 5 people told me to check the spark plugs while I was working on the car and I told everyone of them that the plugs were brand new I had just installed them. I missed my practice sessions and qualifying was coming up. In desperation I took the plugs out and installed another set. It started almost instantly. After qualifying I came back in and put in the set that didn't work to verify the plug issue. Sure enough it wouldn't start.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I was able to get the codes from the tech on the PIWIS:
P0305 - misfire on Cylinder 5
P1023- Pressure adaption
P1025- Pressure adaption

Is pressure adaption due to the fuel injector plug losing pressure or malfuntioning?

I hope it is only a fuel injector and the issue isnt something more than that.

Gary,

Yes it is still under warranty as the car has 15K on it at this time.

Last edited by BoxsterG; 01-31-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
Today I was able to get the codes from the tech on the PIWIS:
P0305 - misfire on Cylinder 5
P1023- Pressure adaption
P1025- Pressure adaption

Is pressure adaption due to the fuel injector plug losing pressure or malfuntioning?

I hope it is only a fuel injector and the issue isnt something more than that.

Gary,

Yes it is still under warranty as the car has 15K on it at this time.
Pop on down to a dealer then. No point suffering from our guesses when you're under warranty.

Gary
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
The new pumps may not solve the problem. BMW continues to hae problems. mT HPFP on my 535 was rplaced as part of their campaign at 5O K miles and the new one now take longer to start and makes fluxuating noises at idle.

HPFPs are the future but today, they are not ready for prime time.
Well, not to be blunt about it, but BMW's ain't Porsches. Completely different cost roll-up on a BMW manufacturing issue.

HPFP's are routine devices from an engineering point of view and adopting them for cars is essential to meeting the ever-tightening emission/mileage goals in Europe. They do require higher quality work than the pumps supplying the relatively-low-pressure injectors used for "throttle-body injection" and all the variations. Apparently, BMW tried to get that quality on the cheap and you cannot. Porsche seemed to have problems with one early supplier or possibly one revision number of theirs, but obviously they originally spec'd the HPFP correctly because the problems never appeared for most of us and for the others they went away once the HPFP was replaced. That sort of issue is what manufacturing engineers live or die on, and I'm a design engineer, but I flat guarantee it makes life easier working in either role for a company that has the much higher margins that Porsche enjoys.

[Oops. I apologize for resurrecting a dead issue. I forgot we discussed this months ago and when I flipped back a page to check something, I forgot to check the date. This makes the second time I've responded to Fahrer. Consistently it seems, but I don't mean to beat a dead post. Sorry, all.]

Gary

Last edited by simsgw; 01-31-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added the 'oops' comment.

Quick Reply: DFI engine issues