Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I hope we have the opportunity to meet sometime in real-life. [...]
And you as well Mr. Stevepow.

Now, can we get on discussing the correct break-in procedure, Red vs PCCB "breaks" and looking at the latest 20" wheels from South Florida suppliers? lol...
I second the motion. And it would be a pleasure to meet. I've enjoyed Reno very much in the past, but haven't seen that big little city for a couple of decades now. Past time. Or if you're anywhere near the southern part of the San Andreas Fault, please drop me a note.

Gary
Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Boxster G please keep us updated. My CPO 09 997.2 also had the High Pressure Fuel Pump, replaced afterjust 3-4months of being put into service.
My non scientific gut tells me that issues w/ the HPFP will only rise and all the parts involved will have to get better.
I've read in the Porsche book at the pressure is north of 1700psi! Good thing im covered for 5yr/100k!

BTW is seems like these problems are not specific to P. Audi has some issues too.

Last edited by kosmo; 02-16-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Boxster G please keep us updated. My CPO 09 997.2 also had the High Pressure Fuel Pump, replaced afterjust 3-4months of being put into service.
My non scientific gut tells me that issues w/ the HPFP will only rise and the all the parts involved will have to getter better.
I've read in the Porsche book at the pressure is north of 1700psi! Good thing im covered for 5yr/100k!

BTW is seems like these problems are not specific to P. Audi has some issues too.
BMW as well!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, yes, but you're wrong. That's we keep trying to explain politely why. I do realize we're pitting nothing more than a hundred-plus years of engineering experience against a well-established old wives' tale, so I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But every time you say it, it goes into an archive, so we owe it people considering Porsches to give them the facts of the issue. Every time you say it.

Gary
I don't wanna continue this debate, but you are absolutely wrong and no matter how you try to rationalize your claim, it is NOT established hundred-plus of engineering experience (unless you're over 100) , and just based on the fact that you bought a 2009 model and don't wanna hear anything against it.

Even a multi-billion dollar engineered Airbus A380 is recalled to fix issues, where those issues are fixed in the models released later. It's an absolute fact in engineering, and there are hundreds of examples of it.

AGAIN, I did NOT say first year model is unreliable, but pointed out that later models WILL have LESS issues than earlier models, as all of the issues reported here WILL BE ADDRESSED and fixed not to cost Porsche more moeny.

If you disagree with just the ^above statement^ , I really would lose respect in your opinion in other matters too, as you've been very helpful and knowledgable in a lot of other threads!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

There's no need to continue this discussion in negative terms and make it personal. Gary and I have one perspective and Alex has another. The arguments were made and I suggest just leaving it at that.

And to Alex - if you think later model cars have no issues (sometimes worse problems than previous years) you do not follow the industry. I can give you several examples of that. And I repeat, you should not put down the decisions of first-year buyers - after all they paved the way to allow you to buy later year ones.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
There's no need to continue this discussion in negative terms and make it personal. Gary and I have one perspective and Alex has another. The arguments were made and I suggest just leaving it at that.

And to Alex - if you think later model cars have no issues (sometimes worse problems than previous years) you do not follow the industry. I can give you several examples of that. And I repeat, you should not put down the decisions of first-year buyers - after all they paved the way to allow you to buy later year ones.
Agreed, thanks for taking the plunge, enjoying an amazing car before any of us can either afford or take the plunge!

BTW, I never said later model won't have issues. I said generally there will be issues based on prior experience.

I don't even know why we came to this point... 997.1, 997.2, 993, and the rest are all amazing cars and have and will bring a lot of enjoyment to its drivers while having some flaws that are expected from a complex sports car.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed, thanks for taking the plunge, enjoying an amazing car before any of us can either afford or take the plunge!
Was that a Freudian slip?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Was that a Freudian slip?
LOL! Actually no.

I honestly cannot be happier with my car. It seriously has exceeded ANY expectation I had before buying it. It is as amazing on the street, as it is on track. I am sure 997.2 is even better, but for now, this does it all for me. I am a manual guy anyways, so PDK which is probably the best selling point for 997.2 is not much of a value for me.

I posted my first impression to the Audi forum I used to visit. No matter how much I improved my S4, I just couldn't possibly correct the inherent family car design of the car. 911 comes out of the factory designed for street/track usage and is very well balanced to achieve both and they've done an incredible job making the car track worthy, while it's still perfect for daily (if you're single)!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
... 911 comes out of the factory designed for street/track usage and is very well balanced to achieve both and they've done an incredible job making the car track worthy, while it's still perfect for daily (if you're single)!
We kind of know that.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diagnosis on my car is the HPFP as originally thought. The part was ordered and should be here today. I may get it today but definitely tomorrow if that resolves my issue.

Adias made me think of something that I dismissed earlier during startup Sunday morning when my car began to fail. I usually have my car in a warm garage so and this is the first time it was started in a cold environment. It was parked in the hotel parking garage and it started slower than normal. I am referring to ignition and not cold cranking. I dismissed it as I thought it was just because it was cold that morning and was normal. However, when I began to accelerate the car did sputter when I was accelerating out of the garage. Once again, I thought it was just cold weather related. It began to respond after a short bought with that issue. The rest of the day it ran great and performed well until I felt it "missing" or lack of acceleration that evening.
In short, I guess I didn’t acknowledge the symptoms that were there and quickly dismissed them since they went away very quickly.

Thanks Adias for jogging my memory on this one.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as somebody in the market soon for an 09 or a 2010, these discussions are very helpful. my conclusion is that there are very few issues with the 09s and i'd happily buy one. i have a great relationship with my dealer and they didn't hesistate to fix any little nit on my 2007.

OP - congrats (?) on finding what seems to be a relatively simple fix on your pcar. sorry for the trouble it caused you but thanks for the report...

brendan

Last edited by brendo; 02-16-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

assuming there is a redesign of the HPFP, whats the likelihood that P will replace the part before a failure? A recall of sorts.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kosmo
assuming there is a redesign of the HPFP, whats the likelihood that P will replace the part before a failure? A recall of sorts.
My understanding is that only a small (early) batch of 997.2 DFI HPFPs had a component out of tolerance.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
as somebody in the market soon for an 09 or a 2010, these discussions are very helpful. my conclusion is that there are very few issues with the 09s and i'd happily buy one. i have a great relationship with my dealer and they didn't hesistate to fix any little nit on my 2007.
Smart decision, Brendan.

Gary
Old 02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
On a side note, my car burned oil during this trip. I made sure the oil level was correct and filled before leaving and upon arrival I was a little over 1/4 of a quart low. I think that it was bit much for a 600 mile trip. I didnt have any performance issues. I will just have to watch it closely until it get more miles on it. Reminds me of one of my 993s so i dont mind the history lesson.
I have experienced the same thing - and in other cars as well. I always carry two qts in the frunk - old habit I got into with an e39 M5 that really used to use oil on the highway, probably for the same reason. And that car sometimes would go through 1-2 qts on a 500 mile trip. The 911 so far is more like 1/2 qt.

Originally Posted by Onwer's Manual
If the vehicle is used for repeated short trips, and
consumes a normal amount of oil, the engine oil
measurement may not show any drop in the oil
level at all, even after 600 miles (1,000 km) or
more. This is because the oil is gradually becoming
diluted with fuel or moisture, making it appear
that the oil level has not changed.
The diluting ingredients evaporate out when the
vehicle is driven at high speeds, as on an expressway,
making it then appear that oil is excessively
consumed after driving at high speeds.