Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DFI engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tvbucks, were you charged labor to install the PSE? I'm guessing not or you got a big discount since there was labor overlap. tks
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
kosmo
Race Director

is P using VW coils?!

anyhow, 2 things:
1. My friend had a similar situation on his 07 audi a6. It was later deemed to be the ethanol in the gas.
2. my 09 had the fuel pump replaced after < 1,000 miles. My feeling/guess/prediction is that this part will need to be more robust to handle the stress and whoever makes the part (Bosch?) will need to redesign it. I think i heard the pressure is North of 1000psi.

good thing my wrrty is good for 5yr/100k miles!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
tvbucks, were you charged labor to install the PSE? I'm guessing not or you got a big discount since there was labor overlap. tks
Not much labor overlap, the muffler install was the least time consuming thing with PSE install. Vacuum hoses and wiring are more trouble.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

ah right. its get wired to the button on the dash.
what vacuum hoses tho? tks
Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hoses to muffler valve actuators from electrically operated solenoid, wired to DME and switch.
Unless you wire to solenoid with off/on switch, like I did for complete control, bypassing the DME.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
tivbucks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening all,

Got the car back on Saturday - all is well, no issues engine wise so happy with that.

My initial impressions with the PSE were somewhat underwhelming, but after driving through a tunnel under the freeway I completely changed my mind - fantastic noise.

Have since covered 250 miles and it is getting better and better noise wise, lots of burble, crackle and 'pop' and the tunnel experience sounds better each time - dare I suggest a hint of Italian V12..........

To those who asked I received a total discount on the parts and install of 10% which equated to approx $400.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tivbucks
... Got the car back on Saturday - all is well, no issues engine wise so happy with that. ...
So what was it? spark plug coils or HPFP?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weekend we ddecided to go to New Orleans for Madi Gras in the 09 997.2 S. The drive going was great and no issues at all. My wife commented that she liked this car and would like to do a road trip.
Last night on the way home about 200 miles from home, i felt the car sputter a bit on the gas peddle. I asked my way if it was the road and did she feel that, she said no, so I turned of the radio and listened closer. After about 30 seconds later, I got a Reduced Engine Power light come on. I am in the middle of what i would like to call nowhere. It is dark and I definately did not want to stop there. I limped into Beaumont, TX and pulled in a gas station and called Porsche who proceeded to attempt to locate a wrecker for me. The wrecker had to come from Houston and to pick me up. I waited 2.5 hours before we could get moving again but I didnt want to wait until the AM to locate someone to bring me to Houston.
While waiting I shut the car down and the tried to start it later after it cooled off and it would not start without me giving it gas. It went dead after I took my foot off the pedal so I think I must have the HPFP issue as well.
I had it towed to the dealer today around noon and waiting on a callback on what they think the issue is at this time. I didnt have time to talk to a tech yet to get his input on it. It would be interesting to see what they find on this.

I will keep you posted.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
This weekend we ddecided to go to New Orleans for Madi Gras in the 09 997.2 S. The drive going was great and no issues at all. My wife commented that she liked this car and would like to do a road trip.
Last night on the way home about 200 miles from home, i felt the car sputter a bit on the gas peddle. I asked my way if it was the road and did she feel that, she said no, so I turned of the radio and listened closer. After about 30 seconds later, I got a Reduced Engine Power light come on. I am in the middle of what i would like to call nowhere. It is dark and I definately did not want to stop there. I limped into Beaumont, TX and pulled in a gas station and called Porsche who proceeded to attempt to locate a wrecker for me. The wrecker had to come from Houston and to pick me up. I waited 2.5 hours before we could get moving again but I didnt want to wait until the AM to locate someone to bring me to Houston.
While waiting I shut the car down and the tried to start it later after it cooled off and it would not start without me giving it gas. It went dead after I took my foot off the pedal so I think I must have the HPFP issue as well.
I had it towed to the dealer today around noon and waiting on a callback on what they think the issue is at this time. I didnt have time to talk to a tech yet to get his input on it. It would be interesting to see what they find on this.

I will keep you posted.
Are you manual or PDK?

These are not good reports... I was flamed earlier when I said one should wait at least a year before buying a new model (so kinks are fixed), my rational was that I DO NOT want to be in this EXACT same position, stuck in the middle of nowhere!

I understand ALL cars have minor issues here or there, but complete engine shut down on a long road trip is simply not acceptable for a $100K+ car!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I will keep you posted.
It's probably the HPFP. When was you car built? Can you please check the XX/YY code on the top right corner of the tag on the driver door? Something like 03/09 for March 2009.

Of all the cars out there only a few who had this problem. If I had one of those cars I would have worked with my service manager and have the pump fixed before a failure. I know it is tough to do that, but that is why it is key to have a good service relationship.

Last edited by ADias; 02-15-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Correct code format.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
Are you manual or PDK?

These are not good reports... I was flamed earlier when I said one should wait at least a year before buying a new model (so kinks are fixed), my rational was that I DO NOT want to be in this EXACT same position, stuck in the middle of nowhere!

I understand ALL cars have minor issues here or there, but complete engine shut down on a long road trip is simply not acceptable for a $100K+ car!
It can easily happen to you on your 997.1 car, with a spark plug coil failure, a disconnect of gear lever cables and more - and these things have occurred to people in the middle of nowhere. You can only buy a second or later year car if others bought the 1st year.... Incidentally, I have a '10 second year.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It can easily happen to you on your 997.1 car, with a spark plug coil failure, a disconnect of gear lever cables and more - and these things have occurred to people in the middle of nowhere. You can only buy a second or later year car if others bought the 1st year.... Incidentally, I have a '10 second year.
Good for you, well worth the wait!

It can easily happen on any car, but did it on 997.1? I had coil failure on my GTI before, it worked in limp mode until I took it in, didn't have to tow. So far I've heard PDK software glitches that shuts down the whole car and a few DFI issues causing engine shut down.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Are you manual or PDK?

I have a manual 6.

I dont worry about first issues as all cars have some issues. Since it was night time, raining and dark, I didnt want to take a risk with my wife in the car as well. I simply limped into a small town that had adequate safety. I am just happy that I could limp along.

I am not afraid to be stranded because it could have happened in a $28K car. The cost of the car doesnt matter as much as how reliable it may be to me. What can one do about this? When it happens it happens, so they will repair it and i will move move on and start driving again.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ADias;7315513]It's probably the HPFP. When was you car built? Can you please check the 3 digit code on the top right corner of the tag on the driver door?QUOTE]

ADias,

I will have to check on build date when I get my car back as it is now at the dealer.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I have a manual 6.

I dont worry about first issues as all cars have some issues. Since it was night time, raining and dark, I didnt want to take a risk with my wife in the car as well. I simply limped into a small town that had adequate safety. I am just happy that I could limp along.

I am not afraid to be stranded because it could have happened in a $28K car. The cost of the car doesnt matter as much as how reliable it may be to me. What can one do about this? When it happens it happens, so they will repair it and i will move move on and start driving again.
You are absolutely right. It should be the HPFP and chances are you'll be good to go once that is remedied.

Quick Reply: DFI engine issues