Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OcBen Erased ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There are always many points of view....and thats okay as long as you know my point is always the correct one.
I think most would agree that a bann on someone who violated rules or who got out of hand is fine. But to errase them completely as if they never existed given the fact there was probably useful and valuable information....well, IMHO that was just a little too much.
I think it would be great if the administrators would un-errase OCBen unless OCBen himself asked to be errased.
Long Live the Revolution Comrads!
abe
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 PM
koalaslim
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

I recently joined RennList and have been very much enjoying reading about my dream car the 911. This is my first post on the site.

Reading of activities such as banning an individual and then erasing every post in their entire history makes me very reticent to contribute or continue frequenting this site. I am a moderator on another popular online forum (to remain un-named) and I am quite sure deleting a posters history has never and will never happen on that site. The backlash of such questionable moderation is far reaching, and sets a poor environment for compiling useful information on our wonderful cars that can be used by others for many years to come.

I'd like to offer some advice to moderators on this site: Listen to your members. We are all here because of a common love of automobiles and flat six motors and we want the site to be the best it can be. Please do not erase member contributions and not offer explanations when asked by your members EVEN IF you have written policies that support your stance on the issue.

Off soap box.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
That's not exactly true--exactly one poster has been banned from RW since its inception. It was a guy that "crashed and burned" here almost immediately before "crashing and burning" there.
W3rd.

And the beauty of RW is that there are no Mods, only staff ( ~50 ). JD learned from years of running this site. One staff member can't ban someone. It has to be done by the person receiving multiple infractions - voted off the island.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Thank you...now you better run before the angry crowd with pitchforks says you're a witch and tries to burn you at the stake....save yourself while you still have a chance.
..I mean...hey! evil overloards aren't supposed to be funny.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Leader: Ben broke the rules. He has been banned three times before and received multiple infractions for his behavior. That's why he was banned. The rules are in the Terms of Service and even easier in the posting guidelines which is in its own forum.

To post more than that would not be BENeficial.

I am also aware that Ben is sending emails looking for support. Thank you PTpeecar for your effort.

Edgy - and others, I am surprised that more of you are not bemoaning the fact that mdrums (Mike) a well liked contributor is no longer here since he asked that his account be canceled and his posts deleted. I will miss his contributions. I suppose that Mike is not sending emails to various people.

Odd coincidence don't you think?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
..I mean...hey! evil overloards aren't supposed to be funny.
This is my part time unpaid job.
My full time paying job is security guard at the top secret FEMA camps.

In order to "moderate" OT P&C, you really need a good sense of humor....and a pair of pajamas with the arms that tie in the back...and the little feet sewn in....
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Leader: Ben broke the rules. He has been banned three times before and received multiple infractions for his behavior. That's why he was banned. The rules are in the Terms of Service and even easier in the posting guidelines which is in its own forum.

To post more than that would not be BENeficial...
Beneficial to whom? My previous post stands.
From out here, it appears management exercised the ultimate sanction against a prolific, albeit troublesome, contributor. And now, refuses to explain itself beyond "he broke the rules."
If you're surprised that some of us find frustration in that uninformative response, then we differ.
Ban him? Fine. Erase his significant history of posts? Overkill.
I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

To post more than that would not be BENeficial.

I am also aware that Ben is sending emails looking for support. Thank you PTpeecar for your effort.

Edgy - and others, I am surprised that more of you are not bemoaning the fact that mdrums (Mike) a well liked contributor is no longer here since he asked that his account be canceled and his posts deleted. I will miss his contributions. I suppose that Mike is not sending emails to various people.

Odd coincidence don't you think?
Just to bring this conversation down a level... I think in general most agree that moderators have the right to ban/remove users who violated the terms of use, whether or not we/some agree with the reason behind it (as nobody knows why).

What I think most are complaning about is the fact that all of his posts were removed (without his request), and we all agree that removing valuable posts from a discussion forum affects the integirty of site negatively and lowers its value to contributors. This action is not common on any forum and is some sort of censorship, which I hope won't be repeated as this forum does not have any value without a good amount of user posts...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Wonder why MDRUMS decided to say good bye??
This is a very sad byproduct of this whole fiasco.
Mike is a great enthusiast and made copious contributions. I hope that he decides to return some day.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I am drawn to the comment by the new visitor who now questions the entire issue of contributing posts to the benefit of all.

I knew Ben more than I knew MDrums so I can better relate to his explanation than that of an administrator. Had I been tossed of this site you can BET that I would be highly vocal off-line with my many friends herein. I would not sit back and take it.

The bottom line is that everyone should be here looking to make Porsche ownership less of a mystery and more fun. I think we've lost some of that today.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I am drawn to the comment by the new visitor who now questions the entire issue of contributing posts to the benefit of all.

I knew Ben more than I knew MDrums so I can better relate to his explanation than that of an administrator. Had I been tossed of this site you can BET that I would be highly vocal off-line with my many friends herein. I would not sit back and take it.

The bottom line is that everyone should be here looking to make Porsche ownership less of a mystery and more fun. I think we've lost some of that today.
Agreed...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Carrying this a bit further, what doesn't add up for me is that after OCBen's statement was posted, instead of us hearing from moderators' sober statements to the membership about not being 'quick to judge' based on what sounds like obvious slanderous statements meant to undermine the integrity and authority of moderators and administrators herein, the first thing we hear from a moderator is a laughing response about what a great piece of creative fiction it is. And then the very next moderator to chime in quotes the first moderator and says, "Indeed!" It appears to me that the moderators are contributing to the confusion, and not resolving the problem.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Edgy - and others, I am surprised that more of you are not bemoaning the fact that mdrums (Mike) a well liked contributor is no longer here since he asked that his account be canceled and his posts deleted.
Bob, what's there for us to bemoan about mdrums? You stated he asked for his account to be closed and all his posts to be removed. His purging from RL isn't at the hands of the mods, unlike OCBen's, which is what most of us are questioning. Banning is understandable, but what rule/policy did OCBen break to warrant a complete erasure?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ucube - we do not reveal specifics about indiscretions. I'm sure you understand. With all the wild speculation going on here, I am surprised that nobody has connected the two events. If you read the thread (did you) Ben's posts have been archived and will be restored shortly.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think it is silly to get all fired up about something based on rumor and hearsay. If that's what we're looking for, maybe we could all have a grand debate about death panels or Obama's lack of legitimate citizenship instead.
Mike, I doubt that's what we are looking for. But absent the facts and clarity from the mods, rumor and hearsay are all we're left with. Most of us can probably infer why OCBen got banned -- again. However, a complete purge from RL leaves much to the imagination.

Quick Reply: OcBen Erased ?