Wiring for 997.2 self dimming mirrors vs. manual mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wiring for 997.2 self dimming mirrors vs. manual mirrors

This is a trivial matter, but it is raining hard in CA and I have the day free-so here goes:

I bought my 2009 911S off a N CA lot last March. I smile every day that I drive the car and look forward to finally making some time for driving lessons with Porsche this spring.

My car came with the colors (boring silver with the usual black interior) and basic options that I wanted (six speed, full leather, Bluetooth, navigation, power seats and universal audio interface) as well as several options that I would not have ordered (heated seats, cornering lights, Bose “high-end” sound) that I have come to enjoy and am glad they were on the car.

The one option that I wanted that was not on the list in the dealer's posting was self dimming mirrors. However, when I inspected the car it had the self dimming interior mirror. I checked the sticker and it was not listed but figured Porsche might have started installing them on all 997.2s. No such luck.

I quickly found that the auto-dim feature on the mirror did not work. I took it to a local dealer and they checked the vin and said that the car was not wired for auto dim. The local service manager knew the GM where I bought the car and he indicated that they had not changed the mirror and that's the way the car came off the truck last January. They offered to replace it with a manual mirror but I decided to keep it and try to wire it up. I had replaced the auto dim interior mirror on my M5 when it faulted so I know that the harnesses can be complicated as they also control the rail sensor- yes, my rain sensor works.

Two local dealers indicated that the wiring harnesses could not be modified to retro for a auto dimming mirror. My unconnected auto dim mirror actually works fairly well as the reflection default index (semi-dimmed) works for all but tail-gaters in traffic with high-mounted bright/Xenon lights.

My questions are:

Does anyone have a diagram and/or pictures of the wiring harness for both the auto dim and manual mirrors?

On cars with the auto dim feature, do the exterior mirrors also dim- as they do on many cars?

Has any one ever retro-fitted an auto dimming mirror?

Thank you,

T. Silnner
Los Gatos, California
Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
On cars with the auto dim feature, do the exterior mirrors also dim- as they do on many cars?
Yes, both sides. Maybe you should look into getting a Gentex mirror (off eBay) but I don't think it will have the oval shape as OEM. Most Gentex mirrors are rectangular.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is the dilemma that everyone has today--the ala carte Porsche. Most chose not to order these things unless they really know what they're doing. Most of these "spec" cars are ordered by a salesman at a dealership and he ordered what he knows will sell. They have to exercise caution, as they can get easily stuck.

There is considerable complexity with these mirrors. As you see, the side mirrors are also wired to dim with the central one. You would have to ascertain whether they are dimming mirrors or the non-dimming ones.

As you have discovered, the wiring harness is the long-lead item on all these cars. They only put in the circuits that will be needed for the accessories ordered. For the skilled home electrician it will still be a fairly complex job to retrofit. I'll check through my workshop manuals for a schematic but I suspect that it's going to require a controller module, all the wires, and then the right mirrors, to work correctly. Personally, I think this is a big undertaking, and I am one to usually try something like that. What I did instead was to check off 267 Self Dimming Mirrors when I ordered the car--a far easier solution.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am reading your post correctly, you have an auto-dim mirror (inside) but it is not connected. Some thoughts:

I retofitted an auto dim inside mirror to my 996. I did not care about the side mirrors.

This requires you to go through the self dimming mirror's wires with a 12 volt power source to determine which wires are your + and -. (If you put electrical tape over the sensor areas on the mirror, you will see when it dims.) The other wires are for synching with the side mirrors and "reverse-gear off" mode for the mirror. You will not need any of these if you are going for just the inside dim feature.

I then pulled down the overhead console and used my multitester to see which of the wires was a switched + (it was one of the wires leading to the sunroof but cannot remember which one) and used a clip to tie into that wire for the + of the mirror. I attatched the negative of the mirror to the screw clip for the overhead console. Put the console back in and you are finished!

If you have the side self dim mirrors as well, and want to get these working as well, you will need (on the 996) to route the long wires on the mirror down the driver's side A-Pillar into the wiring harness made for it - This is pretty involved and requires removing the driver's seat and a bunch of trim. I do not know how similar this harness is to the 997, so some investigation on your part would be necc.

Finally, if you do not want to tap into the overhead console, an alternative would be to run the + wire under the inside roof and A-Pillar trim and attatch it to an unused switched fuse (see other posts for "wiring a Valentine 1 radar detector.) This is pretty easy as well.

Good luck! The self dim feature is great!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The button on the bottom of the RV mirror has no effect (i.e. no green light). If no effect = no power.

If you look closely at the wing mirrors you can see the electrochromic film, if they are dimming variety.

Perhaps you could energize the central mirror to get it operational, sans wing mirrors?

Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is the dilemma that everyone has today--the ala carte Porsche. Most chose not to order these things unless they really know what they're doing. Most of these "spec" cars are ordered by a salesman at a dealership and he ordered what he knows will sell. They have to exercise caution, as they can get easily stuck.

There is considerable complexity with these mirrors. As you see, the side mirrors are also wired to dim with the central one. You would have to ascertain whether they are dimming mirrors or the non-dimming ones.

As you have discovered, the wiring harness is the long-lead item on all these cars. They only put in the circuits that will be needed for the accessories ordered. For the skilled home electrician it will still be a fairly complex job to retrofit. I'll check through my workshop manuals for a schematic but I suspect that it's going to require a controller module, all the wires, and then the right mirrors, to work correctly. Personally, I think this is a big undertaking, and I am one to usually try something like that. What I did instead was to check off 267 Self Dimming Mirrors when I ordered the car--a far easier solution.

Good luck.

Thanks Dan. I would be interested in taking a look at the schematics for the two mirror types. Are they in Pdf? It looks like my best bet is to just power up the inside auto mirror.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven B
If I am reading your post correctly, you have an auto-dim mirror (inside) but it is not connected. Some thoughts:

I retofitted an auto dim inside mirror to my 996. I did not care about the side mirrors.

This requires you to go through the self dimming mirror's wires with a 12 volt power source to determine which wires are your + and -. (If you put electrical tape over the sensor areas on the mirror, you will see when it dims.) The other wires are for synching with the side mirrors and "reverse-gear off" mode for the mirror. You will not need any of these if you are going for just the inside dim feature.

I then pulled down the overhead console and used my multitester to see which of the wires was a switched + (it was one of the wires leading to the sunroof but cannot remember which one) and used a clip to tie into that wire for the + of the mirror. I attatched the negative of the mirror to the screw clip for the overhead console. Put the console back in and you are finished!

If you have the side self dim mirrors as well, and want to get these working as well, you will need (on the 996) to route the long wires on the mirror down the driver's side A-Pillar into the wiring harness made for it - This is pretty involved and requires removing the driver's seat and a bunch of trim. I do not know how similar this harness is to the 997, so some investigation on your part would be necc.

Finally, if you do not want to tap into the overhead console, an alternative would be to run the + wire under the inside roof and A-Pillar trim and attatch it to an unused switched fuse (see other posts for "wiring a Valentine 1 radar detector.) This is pretty easy as well.

Good luck! The self dim feature is great!
Steven:

Thank you for your reply.

I agree that I only need the inside mirror to be auto.

It also sounds like connecting just the inside auto mirror is (famous last words) a fairly simple job.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
The button on the bottom of the RV mirror has no effect (i.e. no green light). If no effect = no power.

If you look closely at the wing mirrors you can see the electrochromic film, if they are dimming variety.

Perhaps you could energize the central mirror to get it operational, sans wing mirrors?

Thank you for the photo. I can not see a film on the wing mirrors of my car. The outside mirrors look far more bright/ silver than the inside mirror in it's unconnected state. I agree that the best bet is to just power up the inside mirror.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Steven B
Racer

Let us know how your project goes/ends up!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a Techequipe retrofit kit for this. I need to warn you that it isn't going to be easy. You need the center mirror/rain sensor, each of the outside mirrors and 3 wiring harnesses. It isn't mounting the mirrors that is the issue, it is the wiring harnesses. The doors have to be completely re-wired. Hence most just get an aftermarket inside mirror and call it a day.

This is a trivial matter, but it is raining hard in CA and I have the day free-so here goes:

I bought my 2009 911S off a N CA lot last March. I smile every day that I drive the car and look forward to finally making some time for driving lessons with Porsche this spring.

My car came with the colors (boring silver with the usual black interior) and basic options that I wanted (six speed, full leather, Bluetooth, navigation, power seats and universal audio interface) as well as several options that I would not have ordered (heated seats, cornering lights, Bose “high-end” sound) that I have come to enjoy and am glad they were on the car.

The one option that I wanted that was not on the list in the dealer's posting was self dimming mirrors. However, when I inspected the car it had the self dimming interior mirror. I checked the sticker and it was not listed but figured Porsche might have started installing them on all 997.2s. No such luck.

I quickly found that the auto-dim feature on the mirror did not work. I took it to a local dealer and they checked the vin and said that the car was not wired for auto dim. The local service manager knew the GM where I bought the car and he indicated that they had not changed the mirror and that's the way the car came off the truck last January. They offered to replace it with a manual mirror but I decided to keep it and try to wire it up. I had replaced the auto dim interior mirror on my M5 when it faulted so I know that the harnesses can be complicated as they also control the rail sensor- yes, my rain sensor works.

Two local dealers indicated that the wiring harnesses could not be modified to retro for a auto dimming mirror. My unconnected auto dim mirror actually works fairly well as the reflection default index (semi-dimmed) works for all but tail-gaters in traffic with high-mounted bright/Xenon lights.

My questions are:

Does anyone have a diagram and/or pictures of the wiring harness for both the auto dim and manual mirrors?

Has any one ever retro-fitted an auto dimming mirror?

Thank you,

T. Silnner
Los Gatos, California
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

After some research and with your helpful comments I had come to the conclusion that it would be a simple matter of connecting my auto mirror to a local power source. However, I just noted a very old blog that mentions that auto dimming mirrors are also wired to turn off when the car is in reverse. That function would require a longer and more complicated connection. Perhaps I could just forget the reverse connection and just turn the mirror off if there is a problem backing out of my garage. I would appreciate any comments from those with auto dimming mirrors re the reverse function.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see much difference when the car is in reverse. The subtle change that I could see is when my car is in my garage and I am backing it out to a bright-lit, sunny sky. But it's not really a biggie.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Steven B
Racer

I would appreciate any comments from those with auto dimming mirrors re the reverse function.
Can't say I missed that function after I installed the A-D mirror on my 996. I would vote to not bother - you will rarely miss it.

Quick Reply: Wiring for 997.2 self dimming mirrors vs. manual mirrors