Sponsored by:

Which Radar Detector to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
When I last checked the Russian Arctic exploration (a limited one) is larger than the Saudi fields and enough to fuel the planet alone for at least 40 years.
I'm glad for your country, Russia! I hope you don't get too rich and start taking advantage of us Americans.

We here in the USA should maybe start planning to use alternative fuels to power our homes and businesses, ПРАВИЛЬНЫЙ?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Yes. I like how some infotainmentnews channels have been reporting "I want _MY_ America back."

Would that be America of the 80s? 70s? 60? 50s? What's the difference? In terms of feeling insecure, vulnerable, wanting, threatened: they all were some very difficult times!
Would be any America where common sense was the major guidance force and interests of any minority groups would be respected BUT not take an advantage and preference over interests of the majority of the population. In most broad terms as possible.

It hurts my heart to see St Louis and Detroit artificially converted into modern day black slums, it hurts me me to see 'heritage' of our beloved Mr. Ted Kennedy in the form of face-tattooed Mara Salvatrucha gang members who polluted whole north MA and all the rest of non-sense that our beloved leaders created after they stripped us citizens from being able to form militias and hang those same especially politically active local leaders on nearby trees as a reference for new generation of politicians.

Any given social experiment of recent 30 years was a disaster. And what happens now destroys whole country, politicians simply do not care at all anymore what happens for what reason, it only matters to them to act contrary to what other party is doing. It`s Friday, I am tired and need my weekend rest.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
. It`s Friday, I am tired and need my weekend rest.
Yep. Rx: Stay away from the news for a couple days. Who knows what will happen? The fact everybody seems so angry and divided can't help.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So they are going to make an illicit police radar jamming device solely for the purpose of breaking the law, illegal? And you think that's an infringement of your freedom?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Ive had a K40 running along side a V1 on a 5 hour drive through highly patrolled streets of varying types - save your $1500 on a K40 and get the V1. The difference is amazing. I would have blown thru 2 speed traps if not for my wife out ahead with the V1 hitting the brakes - I saw this several times.

All of our cars have Valentines now, more than pays for itself in revenue hungry AZ
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how is it that many people here with a V1 have reported getting a ticket and no one yet with a K40 has done so?

BTW when I had the unit installed K40 had a guarantee that if you recieved a speeding ticket (excepting school or construction zones) they would pay for it.

Does V1 make the same guarantee?

Why not?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Ive had a K40 running along side a V1 on a 5 hour drive through highly patrolled streets of varying types - save your $1500 on a K40 and get the V1. The difference is amazing. I would have blown thru 2 speed traps if not for my wife out ahead with the V1 hitting the brakes - I saw this several times.

All of our cars have Valentines now, more than pays for itself in revenue hungry AZ

I'm driving with a K40 for 4 years and get zero tickets and this guy takes a Sunday drive and claims he would have gotten TWO in one afternoon.

Boy, I have to call bull**** on this one.

Any comment BTW on the people who have actually GOTTEN a ticket (not thought they may get a ticket or shoulda, coulda, wouda got a ticket like the dude above) and who had a functioning V1.

Like the people below??????

https://rennlist.com/forums/5447683-post1.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/5391622-post4.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/4693599-post39.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/3293817-post51.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/3293817-post51.html
Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
VC74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a beltronics sti driver and it worked great in my bmw, i had t on the windsheild and it actually fell a couple times on the dash (its heavier, all magnesium). they re illegal here (sti driver is un-detectable). But id like to keep it as hidden as possible, is there a better way to install it? or where? so its hidden and dosent fall and damage the dash?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm glad for your country, Russia! I hope you don't get too rich and start taking advantage of us Americans.

We here in the USA should maybe start planning to use alternative fuels to power our homes and businesses, ПРАВИЛЬНЫЙ?
You see, sad irony of the situation is that if you research the issue you will find that importing of foreign oil was artificially made more profitable than local drilling thanks to enormous taxation and legislation generated over the years against any local manufacturers in USA. Pile just got too big in the end and the end is now.

It is not if America has no resources, we have PLENTY - America lost an ability to use her own resources as ANY job that involves ANY manual labor in America was artificially made non-profitable compared to similar job that can be done ANYWHERE overseas.

Only reason our agriculture still exists is due to illegal hiring of illegal immigrants who agree to work for peanuts and do not have power hungry Washington backed unions behind their backs.

All those glorious generous liberal ideas that we all so proud of in the end buried us compared to rest of the world and that tiny sector of population that still works and provides tax base for rest of the country is not longer able to feed all the hungry mouths. And be sure world will not have a shortage of hungry people any time soon. Time is to think about survival, not about 'generosity' and remember what Darwin laws actually say and how do they apply in the real world to some monkeys who are too lazy to climb up high for bananas when it is not enough bananas out there for everybody.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Only reason our agriculture still exists is due to illegal hiring of illegal immigrants who agree to work for peanuts and do not have power hungry Washington backed unions behind their backs.
No illegal workers work on my land. I'd guess that is fairly typical in GA - or at least as far as I have observed. I suspect the issue of illegal workers is regional and also probably depends on the crops grown.

Even at that, I don't reckon labor is a very significant expense compared to equipment, fuel, seed, and chemicals (fertilizer and growth management). Again, it probably depends on the type of agriculture.

What makes it profitable, in general, is farm bills; the government subsidizes US agriculture. All the while, chemical/seed companies charge several times more in the US for same products used in South/Central America, where labor is already cheap, pushing down prices and creating more need for subsidies (and beneficiaries of subsidies). It is a very convoluted business - the business of food/agriculture - go figure. There is plenty of "power hungry" in Washington behind it, though - way plenty.

Hmmm - a RADAR detector that would warn of large farm equipment up ahead in the road - that would be handy.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It is not if America has no resources, we have PLENTY -
Say that maybe we do have plenty. And if you were a long term strategist, would you rather use up your local supply first, putting you solely at the mercy of others, or use the supply of others up first, as long as you can afford to do it? And then, if it other supplies do run out, you still have your local supply to hold you over while you shift to alternate sources that you have been dabbling in over the past 1/2 century or so?

Fittest doesn't necessarily mean climbing the tree, although it might...getting the bananas down is what counts.

So a RADAR detector for Bananas, Oil, and large slow vehicles blocking the road...
Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

A few years ago there were some farm tractors equipped with radar speedometers. The radar systems have been superseded by GPS. A few of the neighbors had them. A Passport would pick them up from about 2 miles. They used K-band IIRC.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

"This too is totaly urban bull **** myth. They don't get a code that says "Jammer." They just do not get a clear reading. You've been watching too many sci fi movies."

Not totally true. Many of the guns get a jamming code but yes, they do not say, "jammer".
For Example:
Laser Atlanta- JA3
Traffic Patrol- E14

As for the K40. It's pretty much a piece of junk. Rates very poorly in all testing I have seen. You would be much better served with a V1 and Laser Interceptor. But do your own research. You may want to start here.
http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008...mmer-test.html
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that this thread is about RADAR DETECTORS. Somehow, the topic changed to jammers. I will say this, with my V1 I have gotten a ticket. Of the 3 times I got hit with Laser, one got me. Even at that, I did get a short enough warning to hit my brakes so it wasn't that bad. The other 2 times they were scanning and I must have picked up reflection from another car. The time they did get me, they were Ladaring about 1/8 to 1/4 mile in front of me on the side road on the highway on my right. I had a car that was a car length in front of me in my immediate right lane. I was doing 75-80 when the V1 started going off. I hit brakes immediately and they did lock me in...at 60 mph. It was only a 15 over versus 30-35 over. As a detector, K40 would have not performed any better.

What could have prevented it? That's what I have in another one of my cars. I have a LaserBlinder M20 installed in the front of my daily. I've multiple times I've been hit at point dead range with Laser and they never got a clean reading. One time I was all by myself in the left lane and there was a motorcycle cop using Ladar right over a hill on the left shoulder. He had a perfect bead on me. My V1 and my Blinder both went off at the same time. It was so fast, I didn't have time to brake and slow. You can pretty much guess what was going through my head. I went right by him and I could see the pissed look on his face. As I went by, he just started looking down at his radar gun like something is wrong. So, why no LaserBlinder in my 911s? Airflow. If I mount them in the radiator openings, they are going to block airflow and create turbulance that could not only effect cooling; but much more importantly airflow to the brakes.

...and by the way if you think you can't get a ticket with a V1 and a K40, you are definitely wrong. I have a friend who ran the 1 Lap of America twice with both in his car. The first time he did One Lap, he was speeding in Louisiana and got pegged around 100. The first thing the officer said to him was, "have you ever been arrested before." Yes he went to jail and K40 was one of his sponsors. Here is a hint, it is the "One Lap Supra." You ALWAYS take a risk speeding.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab;7233319....
As for the K40. It's pretty much a piece of junk. Rates very poorly in all testing I have seen. You would be much better served with a V1 and Laser Interceptor. But do your own research. You may want to start here.
[url
http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html[/url]
My contention is that these tests of range etc are worthless. The reason is that the police officer has to make positive identification of the car he is targeting. This is not possible beyond a range of 1000 - 1500 feet. Having a radar detector with "excessive" range will only guarantee too many false alarms and, in fact, I suspect that this is the reason why V1 drivers seem to be ticketed so often. Either these alarms are simply being ignored as they can't seem to see the forest for the trees OR they are simply turnng off the instant-on detection to avoid them altogether.

Not sure exactly what the problem here is but as I posted above it was very easy to find 5 people on RL alone who have been ticketed with the V1 largely by Ka band.

To suggest to someone that he should abdandon a system that worked for him for the past 4 years and, instead, replace it for one that has failed so many people here on RL alone is just plain dumb advice.

Quick Reply: Which Radar Detector to Buy?