Sponsored by:

Got A Memorial Day Ticket - A Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Got A Memorial Day Ticket - A Question

Well I got popped today for 90 in a 70 while coming back from Indy 500. Should have known better not to speed too much on Memorial day but as you all know this car feels the same at 70 and 100+. The V1 went to full blast Ka band in a instant and that was it.... Its actually a cheap ticket only a $ 120 bucks but he didnt have me sign the ticket. Should I just pay it and forget about it or ????
Old 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Pay it.
My feeling is that if you are doing something wrong and get caught, then you simply pay up.
The only time I contested a ticket was when I felt the cop made up what I was doing (failure to stop at a stop sign),....ticket was thrown out as officer was out of his jurisdiction (thus supporting my feeling that he was full of poop).
Old 05-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn911
Well I got popped today for 90 in a 70 while coming back from Indy 500. Should have known better not to speed too much on Memorial day but as you all know this car feels the same at 70 and 100+. The V1 went to full blast Ka band in a instant and that was it.... Its actually a cheap ticket only a $ 120 bucks but he didnt have me sign the ticket. Should I just pay it and forget about it or ????
I would. What's your time and aggravation worth. If you were truly going 90 in a 70 zone, you were 'speeding' and you know those guys are out to nab you on holidays.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

I would plead for deferred adjudication (if available) and pay it.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn911
Its actually a cheap ticket only a $ 120 bucks but he didnt have me sign the ticket. Should I just pay it and forget about it or ????
My $0.02

If the jurisdiction is really far away or your driving record is otherwise impeccable, you could consider just pleading guilty and paying the $120. Me personally I negotiate every ticket to reduce the points against my license, even if it means paying more in fines.

Signing the ticket makes no difference, the ticket is still valid.

The hidden cost of the ticket are the points accrued against the license which may increase insurance rate and/or risk license suspension if more points are accrued in the future. It's impossible to know how many points I may get in the future and I don't like to wait until I am facing suspension before contesting points.

The way to deal with this is to check "not guilty" on the ticket and request a hearing. Then either hire a local traffic court attorney or represent yourself. The object is not win at trial, but to negotiate a guilty plea to a zero point infraction with the prosecutor just before the hearing (or a lesser point infraction), pay the fine and keep the license clean. Everybody wins, the prosecutor clears a case, the municipality gets paid, the judge has one less case to hear, my license has no points. Some jurisdictions have may have a diversion program whereby the driver goes to traffic school and the ticket is reduced/expunged.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense fellas, but I disagree with the posts and I say fight it. Why? Because these things are accumulative. Hire an attorney from the jurisdiction in which you got the ticket. He will likely get you out of the ticket. May cost you a little more now, but it will save you in the long run (insurance) and will preserve your clean record so the next time you get pulled over, the police will be more likely to give you a break. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish . . .
Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 978 Likes on 547 Posts

If your home state accepts out of state tickets as points against your license - fight it.

If not, if you can just pay the fine and walk away - pay it.

Quick Reply: Got A Memorial Day Ticket - A Question