Sponsored by:

Which Radar Detector to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
+1, I have a V1 but hardly use it since its so big and heavy. I hate it when it falls off the windshield mount and puts a nice divot on your leather dash! You'd think that by now V1 could do some miniaturization and use some LED technology.
It is very odd why your V1 falls down plus I would hardly call it 'large'.
I installed mine 4 months ago or so and it sits there as it was glued to the glass.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
.....Having an installation that's completely hidden is a nice cosmetic feature as well, although $1500 seems a little pricey. But we P car owners have it to burn.

Which would you rather have, Mike? The top pic is yours, the bottom is my "installation." The left blue light is for forward threats, the right one is for threats from the rear. Tone and/or verbal warnings can also be programed.
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
All I'm saying is that of all the people on this forum who have installed the K40 I have yet to hear of a single one that has gotten a speeding ticket. If there is someone out there (or someone who knows someone who may thinks they may know someone) who has gotten a ticket with the installed K40 I would like to hear about it.

Is the K40 better at instant on? I don't know enough about the electronics to judge. I'm not claiming it is. As I recall you have to program the V1 to detect instant on because by default it would give you too many false positive alarms. Not very reassuring.

What I am claiming is that in a practical sense you bought the radar detector in order to avoid speeding tickets. If you're not getting speeding tickets then I don't give a hoot how many bells, whistles, arrows, green flashing lights, theoretical range, electronic sophistication etc you claim for the unit. If it works to avoid speeding tickets then it works. The rest is just propaganda.

One keeps hearing over and over how the V1 gives directional information. Well the K40 gives directional information too so how is that a distinguishing feature?
Thanks for the response. I was just trying to point out that, in my opinion, the best that any radar detector can do when faced with the use of instant on radar is to alert you when someone else has been targeted. YMMV.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the distinguishing feature of the K40 is it's sensitivity. Could be wrong, but it seems like I remember reading on their site (for whatever thats worth) that they have about a 2 mile range, whereas the best windshield mounted units maxed out at 1.5 miles - most of them considerably less.

What good is that? Well, if the cop in the weeds is using instant on, and he shoots you, along with ****ting your pants when everything lights up, you might as well pull over, since you're getting a ticket. Your only hope is you detect him shooting a car in front of you, and that's where the extra sensitivity/range comes in and at least theoretically would be helpful.

On another related point, Calibre offers a laser diffuser/jammer in the form of a license plate bracket. Anyone know of something less conspicuous and equally effective?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
boolala
Race Car

I have the front K40 jammer. I don't even know how well it works to be honest. But I've gotten laser warnings at the absolute last second while passing a cop at 75 mph on 294 and have not been ticketed. The K40 jammer is just a small recetangular box. mounted in front. In my case it's almost invisible because it sits below the front license plate frame. If you don't have a front license plate then you will probably see it. Here's the fornt install. Do you see it?
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On another related point, Calibre offers a laser diffuser/jammer in the form of a license plate bracket. Anyone know of something less conspicuous and equally effective?[/QUOTE]

Just answered my own question...
Calibre has a non-license plate version - it's only double in price
$329 vs. $650
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V1 wasn't to exp and it serves it's purpose well. Detectors are never full-proof, but used in combination w/ smart driving can help you avoid tickets. On a recent road trip, it worked perfectly. From what I know, the Ka-band detectors are in wide use in CA. The V1 has probably saved me from 6-7 tickets. Crazy enough, my only ticket in the past several years was a "failure to signal upon lane change". BS...
Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the front K40 jammer. I don't even know how well it works to be honest. But I've gotten laser warnings at the absolute last second while passing a cop at 75 mph on 294 and have not been ticketed. The K40 jammer is just a small recetangular box. mounted in front. In my case it's almost invisible because it sits below the front license plate frame. If you don't have a front license plate then you will probably see it. Here's the fornt install. Do you see it?
well, the question is not if we see it or not - the question is what will cop do to you after he gets message 'jammer' on his laser after double-hitting you and then stopping you and discovering this device in the state where it is forbidden.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V1 hands down. I have a couple of them with remote displays wired in all my cars. The GT3 is getting wired next week.

As far as the V1 falling down, it never happens for me. I always wire it in to hang from the passenger side visor using the visor clip. I put it here for a very key reason. It prevents theft. If you place it high behind the tint band, it can be easily seen from the outside making the car a target. Putting it on the does does not hinder performacne and it is very hard to see from outside.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM
keenan9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a picture of the K40 mounted without the license plate.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't Valentine One recommend that the V1 be mounted to have a clear view of the rear? Up high like that obscures the rear view doesn't it? I usually use mine just on long trips anyway.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Low-mounted receivers deny the driver substantial reaction time. They do this for stealth. However, reaction time is critical. There is a substantial line of sight (LOS) loss between a unit mounted near the rearview mirror, and the front plate.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

V1
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, the question is not if we see it or not - the question is what will cop do to you after he gets message 'jammer' on his laser after double-hitting you and then stopping you and discovering this device in the state where it is forbidden.
This too is totaly urban bull **** myth. They don't get a code that says "Jammer." They just do not get a clear reading. You've been watching too many sci fi movies.

Have any anecdotes to share where this has actually happened?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

Which would you rather have, Mike? The top pic is yours, the bottom is my "installation." The left blue light is for forward threats, the right one is for threats from the rear. Tone and/or verbal warnings can also be programed.
Which would you rather have, Boolala? The bottom pic is your front end with a license plate frame and the top is mine without. Ok, I admit I'm being facetious and the K40 probably doesn't need a plate to hide behind. The point is, you won't have a detector attached to your windshield and don't mind spending the extra $1100 for that, I'd rather spend the $1100 on something else and won't have a front plate even though they are required in CA. I respect different choices.

My OP was a reaction to your comments about supposed evidence of K40 owners getting fewer tickets than V1 owners, "unAmericanism", a "cult of personality" surrounding the V1, and V1 performance capabilities being an "urban legend". Those comments seemed off the wall and IMO deserved to be challenged. Your choice of the K40 obviously need not be challenged, and the installation (except for the license plate ) is quite cool.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Which Radar Detector to Buy?