Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone added a ACCUSUMP system to a 997 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Has anyone added a ACCUSUMP system to a 997 engine?

Has anyone added a ACCUSUMP system to a 997 engine?

I have read that is essentially makes a wet sump engine (like the 997 engine) into a dry sump (like the GT1 block).

Can this be done to a 997 (m97 engine)?

Anyone try this or done any research?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

This place sells an oil filter adapter that lets you easily plump in an accusump. http://www.lnengineering.com/spinonfilteradapter.html

I believe that they are site sponsers. You might try posting on the 996 forum. I've seen one of the owners post there.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen information about this on the LNEngineering site. They have a kit to fit the flat 6. It is not a dry sump conversion, if even possible, but an accumulator. It appears to work by storing a reserve of pressurized oil, which is released when needed. Looks like the stock oil filter is replaced with an adapter that supplies the device and takes a normal spin-on filter.

Google "accusump" for lots of info.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have used accusumps on all my race porsches and it is not a dry sump in any way. It has 2 parts.
Before you start the car, you first open the valve to presurize the oil system and give the car instant oil presure on startup. Most think this is the primry reason to have a system.
The main reason is that in long sweepers on the track, the oil pickup can and will suck air into the system as the oil moves to one side of the car. The accusump adds from one to 3 qts of oil under pressure as the engine oil drops. As the engine oil system brings back its own pressure the added oil from the accusump retreats back into the accumulator. No electric needed. You can do the same with installation of the x51 oil pan. No need for a accumulator.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by nosubt2
I have used accusumps on all my race porsches and it is not a dry sump in any way. It has 2 parts.
Before you start the car, you first open the valve to presurize the oil system and give the car instant oil presure on startup. Most think this is the primry reason to have a system.
The main reason is that in long sweepers on the track, the oil pickup can and will suck air into the system as the oil moves to one side of the car. The accusump adds from one to 3 qts of oil under pressure as the engine oil drops. As the engine oil system brings back its own pressure the added oil from the accusump retreats back into the accumulator. No electric needed. You can do the same with installation of the x51 oil pan. No need for a accumulator.
I may be wrong but haven't the Koni Cup 997's been using Accusumps?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I may be wrong but haven't the Koni Cup 997's been using Accusumps?
A pro friend, who's raced them since 06', said he's never heard of one being used. They do use the dual chamber AOS...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

The Porsche Motorsports X51 pan & baffle kit, like a deep sump, won't solve starvation issues. It's a band-aid and good enough for the weekend track excursion on anything but R-compound or stickier tires.

The Motorsports AOS has nothing to do with fixing oil starvation issues. It's a good upgrade for those going through the stock AOS with some frequency. The Motorsports one is way more heavy duty.

We have supplied our adapter to many racers and shops worldwide who have either experienced spun rod bearings on their Boxster or 911 or have seen oil pressure drop at high rpms when the car is experiencing significant G-forces. Addition of an Accusump eliminates these problems for sure. The main problem is that many do not recognize the problem or it is masked by other problems or failures associated with the M96 engine.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (05-06-2021)
Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charles is wicked smaht

Quick Reply: Has anyone added a ACCUSUMP system to a 997 engine?