Sponsored by:

Some idiot has bumped into me in Parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Meteor_Carrera4S
Now, I got a $500 deductible, but the accident won't affect my insurance as it's hit&run (although they said the insurance company may still raise insurance if they SUSPECT it's my own fault, like I hit it somewhere).

The question is, is it worth paying $200ish more to do it privately and not have a $1000 paintjob on the car record (for resale values), or should I claim and don't worry about it? The second shop said if I wanna do privately, he could do a bit less $100 or so to help me out.

What do you guys suggest?
I wouldn't use insurance for something this small. In fact one thing I'd do is get a quote on your insurance if you raised your deductible to $1k on your car and home. Thought was I likely wouldn't claim anything under $2k. The amount you save on insurance may help chip away on your bumper repair.

What I hate about using insurance is that once I make a claim, I feel paranoid about the next accident even if neither are my fault. I did make a claim on $5k worth of stolen camera equipment taken out of my car against my home owners insurance. My rates did go up and for the next couple years I was paranoid about having to make a larger claim for some other issue and getting dropped or screwed on the rates.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelL
If you are going to use your Porsche, instead of just storing it, something bad will eventually happen to it. The unfortunate possibilities are legion. Your choices are to obsess over & endlessly detail the car or take it out & drive it.
So, you mean NOT to fix it? It's my daily drive actually...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

My rear bumper has been repainted twice. My front bumper was just replaced and painted. The first time I was really upset and distraught. Now it is like getting an oil change.

I strongly recommend you ensure your chosen body shop is capable of getting the paint tint exactly correct and will commit to not blending your rear body panels. This is possible. I know from experience. But some body shops are lazy or incapable and will just routinely spray your rear fenders to blend a mismatched color on your rear bumper. You want to avoid this!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by JW911
My rear bumper has been repainted twice. My front bumper was just replaced and painted. The first time I was really upset and distraught. Now it is like getting an oil change.

I strongly recommend you ensure your chosen body shop is capable of getting the paint tint exactly correct and will commit to not blending your rear body panels. This is possible. I know from experience. But some body shops are lazy or incapable and will just routinely spray your rear fenders to blend a mismatched color on your rear bumper. You want to avoid this!
They are NOT going to blend-in the rear body panels. They're gonna take off the bumper, repaint the whole thing and put back on. These guys ONLY work on "premium" cars, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, MB, Range Rovers. They are one of five in town that are designated as premium body shops and charge more per hour. They gaurantee their work for life of the car.

The other shop is even more famous, usually wait list of 2-3 weeks, however I've never worked with them in the past, and with them I have to go through insurance since they quoted a higher price and I don't have a personal relationship to get a discount.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

If I do take my car to the mall, I usually park in an area where there are no cars around. I mean no cars anywhere around my parking area. If I have to do some walking, that's ok. This just goes to show some people could care less about other people's property, or go out of their way to vandalize nice cars.
I feel bad about your situation. Just remember it can be repaired. There some places I will not park my car period. For these times I take my Camry.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks. I just went out and got some quotes from the two BEST shops in town. Both use Standox paint for Porsche.

One is quite famous, but I've never worked with them. He quoted around $900-$1000 for the job, and said it maybe a bit more, if the bracket underneath that holds the bumper is broken, and that's like $100.

The other place which is just as good, and I know the owner and have had my Audi done there twice. He quoted $750, and the same question mark for bracket.

Now, I got a $500 deductible, but the accident won't affect my insurance as it's hit&run (although they said the insurance company may still raise insurance if they SUSPECT it's my own fault, like I hit it somewhere).

The question is, is it worth paying $200ish more to do it privately and not have a $1000 paintjob on the car record (for resale values), or should I claim and don't worry about it? The second shop said if I wanna do privately, he could do a bit less $100 or so to help me out.

What do you guys suggest?
If a hit and run if you file a police report I would think this would go a long way towards convincing your insurance company the damage didn't arise from you backing into something.

(I filed a police report when I hit a deer for the same reason and took pictures that clearly showed mule deer hair caught in the fragments of the smashed headlight.)

But insurance companies are always seeking reasons to raise premiums and could I guess still dismiss the report.

Generally, I pay "small" damages/repairs out of my pocket rather than turn them in to my insurance.

When I hit road debris with my Boxster I paid to have the radiator repaired and other damage fixed. Front bumper cracked but still servicable so I didn't have that replaced. Repairs cost me around $1600.

Thankfully the above is the only out of pocket repair I've had to fund in years and years of driving.

I would advise you to take high res pics of the damage and then have the damage repaired to its pre-collision condition.

Choose the shop that promises to do the best job. A few hundred dollars difference is not that important as long as the higher priced shop's rep warrants its consideration even with the high repair estimate.

When you go to sell the car you have to divulge any body/paint work -- at least when I traded in a car recently the dealer required I sign a form stating the car had no body/paint work done -- and were I selling a car privately I would want to disclose this. If one doesn't then there's a chance of the buyer coming back maybe with a small claims lawsuit especially if he has a bit of buyer's remorse and seeks to recoup some of his purchase of the car via a settlement.

With the pics you can show the damage confined to just the bumper cover and a bracket and thus the car should experience no stigma from the "accident" and subsequent repair. If you try to hide the repair it might get spotted and that you didn't mention it could be interpreted as a sign there was more serious damage.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd have to see that up close, but it could very well be that the black spots that look like missing paint are actually a smear of black plastic from the car that hit you. The damage is extremely light otherwise, you could take all of the paint transfer off with some compound and a few minutes of elbow grease.

It's obviously very saddening that someone would do this to your car and not stick around to make you whole. At the same time, this is such a light tap that whoever hit you may not even know they did (think soccer mom in the family SUV filled with kids).

Here's how I would approach this:
1. polish off the paint transfer yourself.
2. if there's missing paint or scratches underneath, bring it to a reputable detailer and let them try fixing.
3. if the results aren't satisfactory, take it to the body shop. Really, this should be your last step. Repainting a bumper cover is easy work, but why spend the extra money if steps 1 or 2 result in a finish that looks good as new?

Dealerships and individuals constantly sell cars that have had bumper covers repainted. On any modern car, the bumper cover is a purely cosmetic and aerodynamic part and doesn't need disclosure. I would tell whoever I was selling it to that the cover was refinished because of a scratch, but calling it body work would take it too far. If a dealer asked me to sign a paper stating my trade-in had no body work (even if it hadn't) I'd take my business elsewhere--your car will not suffer ANY drop in value over this.

There is literally nothing under the bumper cover in the damaged area that could be bent or broken with a hit like that. Get out a torx driver, take the cover off and see for yourself. It takes 10 minutes.

Absolutely no big deal.

Mark
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

Thanks Mark.

The black mark you see is actually paint missing, not from the other car. You can liteally see some layers of paint in the spot through the gap.

The one shop said I could just polish, touch up, and it would look "ok", but obviously would look like a touchup and definitely won't go back to original until you repaint.

I am on the fence on what to do... touch it up, claim insurance, or just do it myself out of pocket (regardless I gotto pay $500 dedeuctible)!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mark.

I am on the fence on what to do... touch it up, claim insurance, or just do it myself out of pocket (regardless I gotto pay $500 dedeuctible)!
IMHO? DIY touch up and forget about it. Wait until the next damaging incident then decide if it's worth it to get serious about "restoration."

Meanwhile take a tip from Buddha; the minute you drive off after delivery start calling your new car, "My old Porsche" because everything new wears out and gets banged up no matter what we do.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by number9ine
I'd have to see that up close, but it could very well be that the black spots that look like missing paint are actually a smear of black plastic from the car that hit you. The damage is extremely light otherwise, you could take all of the paint transfer off with some compound and a few minutes of elbow grease.

It's obviously very saddening that someone would do this to your car and not stick around to make you whole. At the same time, this is such a light tap that whoever hit you may not even know they did (think soccer mom in the family SUV filled with kids).

Here's how I would approach this:
1. polish off the paint transfer yourself.
2. if there's missing paint or scratches underneath, bring it to a reputable detailer and let them try fixing.
3. if the results aren't satisfactory, take it to the body shop. Really, this should be your last step. Repainting a bumper cover is easy work, but why spend the extra money if steps 1 or 2 result in a finish that looks good as new?

Dealerships and individuals constantly sell cars that have had bumper covers repainted. On any modern car, the bumper cover is a purely cosmetic and aerodynamic part and doesn't need disclosure. I would tell whoever I was selling it to that the cover was refinished because of a scratch, but calling it body work would take it too far. If a dealer asked me to sign a paper stating my trade-in had no body work (even if it hadn't) I'd take my business elsewhere--your car will not suffer ANY drop in value over this.

There is literally nothing under the bumper cover in the damaged area that could be bent or broken with a hit like that. Get out a torx driver, take the cover off and see for yourself. It takes 10 minutes.

Absolutely no big deal.

Mark
Do not think you'd trade a car in here in CA then, cause my understanding is the signing a form stating there is not body or paint work to the car being traded in is either a law or a requirement that dealers have implemented to avoid the risk of taking a car in on trade and selling it only later to find out the car had major body/paint work when the buyer brings the car back with his lawyer.

Next time I'm at dealership I'll see if I can get more info on this. I'd like to know for sure if it is a requirement or just a car dealer being well a car dealer. If I find out there is no requirement to sign this form next time I take a car in for a trade in and am asked to sign the form I'll tell the dealer to stuff it.

I like your suggestion to polish the blemish out provided doing so doesn't make the damaged area worse and more noticable.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

I am in Canada, here you HAVE TO declare damaged over $2000, but not under.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mark.

The black mark you see is actually paint missing, not from the other car. You can liteally see some layers of paint in the spot through the gap.

The one shop said I could just polish, touch up, and it would look "ok", but obviously would look like a touchup and definitely won't go back to original until you repaint.

We are all different, but for me, when my bumper had a blemish, I couldn't help but stare at it, and let it bug me. Making the decision to get it fixed was a no brainer for me. I paid cash for my repair, because rates go up, whether or not it's your fault. The fact that you are still posting on this tells me that you should bite the bullet and have a professional fix the bumper properly. You won't think about it anymore, and can enjoy the car again, without torturing youself every time you look at your car.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CC911
Meteor, I keep a beater for this very reaon - shopping malls, beaches and restaurant parking lots are no place for our cars these days - people simply do not respect others property - sad but reality. hope you get it all fixed soon.
This is compounded by the fact that parking lots seem to be designed by 5th graders these days. I've seen quite a few lots that cram as many cars in as tight as possible, or make the 'lane' so narrow that while you have plenty of side room, it still takes a 5 point turn to get in or out of a space cleanly. With so man boat sized SUVs and extended pickups out there (especially those with 6" long trailer hitches), I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Mark.

I would take it to the shop you took your Audi to, and offer him cash to repair it under the condition he doesn't Carfax it. He may even give you a better deal. You're out $500 anyway, and you'll recoup the extra $250 out of pocket when you eventually sell with a clean Carfax.
My $.02
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by red89
Repaints don't hold up to road rash nearly as well as factory baked paint. I wish it weren't so.
What you get done over here at a reputable shop will probably be better than the factory. Porsche paint tends to be a bit soft these days.

Last Sunday I was at the depot and got into my truck and looked up and saw a shopping cart blow by and nail a brand new mustang in the rear quarter. It was a hard hit with two deep long gouges. It continued along scrapping between a couple of more cars and only stopped when it was caught by a mirror. I loath shopping carts.

Quick Reply: Some idiot has bumped into me in Parking lot