Sponsored by:

Some idiot has bumped into me in Parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It can certainly be fixed. Removing the rear bumper is a no brainer for a shop. They can blend it in and you'll never know it. This happened to me years ago with my first Porsche, at an airport parking lot. Someone hit is and ran. There are low class unethical people everywhere today. They breed like rats.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by CC911
Take it to an accredited Porsche panel shop in your area for an assessment; Rennlisters closer to you will be able to offer names. Its likely the only way to get a perfect finish will be to redo the entire bumper cover.
+1.

Same thing happened to me with my 40th anni. Parked in a wide spot and some guy parked so close to me (illegally) that I had to get in via the passenger door. When I got home I noticed scratches down to the paint. I was furious and incredulous. People don't care.

Had to redo the whole bumper - good news was it came out looking perfect.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CC911
Take it to an accredited Porsche panel shop in your area for an assessment; Rennlisters closer to you will be able to offer names. Its likely the only way to get a perfect finish will be to redo the entire bumper cover.
I agree. No time to dime store repair the car. Find a qualifed repair shop and let the body shop advise you what's a suitable repair: If the bumper can be sanded and repainted have it done.

It may have been pushed in hard enough that it has to be replaced.

A factory bumper will have to be ordered and then painted and fitted.

Shop wants to use Standox paint and paint system (Spies-Hecker and Glasurit ok too. These paints and paint systems recognized by Porsche as suitable paint and paint systems. Standox used at the factory.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

So, gotto use Standox to get perfect results?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
red89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Repaints don't hold up to road rash nearly as well as factory baked paint. I wish it weren't so.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, gotto use Standox to get perfect results?
A very knowledgeable body shop owner tells me Standox is a real good paint and is used at the Porsche factory.

Furthermore, he thold me this paint/paint system required by any shop that wanted to have a chance to qualify for Porsche's Approved Collsion Center certification program. (Standox along with Spies-Hecker or Glasurit paints/paint systems.)

Secondly I confirmed this cause I have the Porsche Approved Collision Center requirements and the paints are specified. One of these 3 paints/paint systems must be used by the shop.

However, even the best paint and paint system is no better than the painter, but a real good painter should be able to deliver a very good paint job.

In fact in some respects the paint job might be a better paint job because the paint will be smoother and have less orange peel that the factory paint.

Even the factory paint is not perfect.

But one should get a good enough paint job which can be as good as or even better than factory paint. That should be the goal and there should be no reason to accept less. If the shop can't deliver on the paint job then the wrong shop is being used for the paint job.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Obviously it's time to trade it in.
Yeah, now you have a good excuse to buy that new GT3!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Yeah, now you have a good excuse to buy that new GT3!
Wish I could... this is all I can afford comfortably now. Was hoping to keep it for at least 3-4 years! It's a horrible feeling to know it's not perfect anymore. Car's got only 8K miles on it even it's 2007!

How much typically it costs for re-paint of whole bumper vs. blend-in? I am not sure what my deductible is for hit-run, but it's $500 for accident. I assume the paint cost is more.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meteor_Carrera4S
Wish I could... this is all I can afford comfortably now. Was hoping to keep it for at least 3-4 years! It's a horrible feeling to know it's not perfect anymore. Car's got only 8K miles on it even it's 2007!

How much typically it costs for re-paint of whole bumper vs. blend-in? I am not sure what my deductible is for hit-run, but it's $500 for accident. I assume the paint cost is more.
It cost me just over $1000 get my rear bumper heated to take out a slight dent and then to repaint it. I know it's expensive, but the people we use do a terrific job and I'm willing to pay the extra for the quality.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Meteor_Carrera4S

I could be wrong but I believe the entire bumper will have to be resprayed, so the spot doesn't stand out. In some cases adjacent body panels are prep'ed and resprayed a distance back from where they adjoin -- in this case the rear bumper -- so the paint blends better, so there is no visible jump from a newly painted panel to an original panel. It depends upon the color of the car.

I do not have cost of a rear bumper but my 03 Turbo's front bumper cost $651 for the bumper proper, $310 (labor to remove damaged one and install (after painting new one).

Painting cost $199 and then $81 for clear coat.

If my math's any good that comes to $1241. Rear bumper almost certainly would be less at least if a new rear bumper needed to be purchased.

If there is any damage to the bumper attachment points, brackets, etc., then the cost can only go up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

We took our 997s up to calistoga last week and parked to get lunch. I caefully picked out a spot next to a MB that carefully parked his car off to one side alowong for a larger that adverage space bewteen our cars. Score! I just happened to go out to the car to get my kids jacket out of the trunk when this 20 something kid in a dirty *** bird crap covered car with three other people drives up and starts to squeeze into the gap bewteen the two nice cars. Now, he could have squeezed in but would only have had maybe 6 inches per side to open the doors. I just stood in front of his car and shook my head with a "awe hells no!" expression on my face. Shamed, he backed up and the. Appoligized. I just don't think people think a out what they are doing until it's too late. Then the hit the car and panic and flee.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Might be worth checking if the mall has cameras in the parking lot. That just sucks.

Last summer I walked out to my car parked at a garage to see a suburban backing out in the opposite spot behind me. It was a tight parking lot and the suburban was filled with passengers but nobody bothered to get out and spot. I watched the suburban slowly back out towards my car. I unlocked my doors remotely so they could see the parking lights blink. It still kept going back. I thought for sure it would stop but it just kept going. Just before it hit, I yelled, "STOP!!!!". Everyone in the suburban just gives me this stupid clueless look. No apology. I just shook my head.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Might be worth checking if the mall has cameras in the parking lot. That just sucks.

Last summer I walked out to my car parked at a garage to see a suburban backing out in the opposite spot behind me. It was a tight parking lot and the suburban was filled with passengers but nobody bothered to get out and spot. I watched the suburban slowly back out towards my car. I unlocked my doors remotely so they could see the parking lights blink. It still kept going back. I thought for sure it would stop but it just kept going. Just before it hit, I yelled, "STOP!!!!". Everyone in the suburban just gives me this stupid clueless look. No apology. I just shook my head.
some hillbillies could easily hit your car on purpose. do not underestimate those people. they drive $1.5K worth car and they do hate your guts. no one 'accidentally' rear ends into porsche, maserati or ferrari.

there are a lot of good folks out there but also there are also some #ssholes out there and it should not be just forgotten or underestimated. I hope you called police and requested image copy from mall cameras. I would do it. They most likely should have info about this accident on tapes.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Meteor_Carrera4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by Macster
I could be wrong but I believe the entire bumper will have to be resprayed, so the spot doesn't stand out. In some cases adjacent body panels are prep'ed and resprayed a distance back from where they adjoin -- in this case the rear bumper -- so the paint blends better, so there is no visible jump from a newly painted panel to an original panel. It depends upon the color of the car.

I do not have cost of a rear bumper but my 03 Turbo's front bumper cost $651 for the bumper proper, $310 (labor to remove damaged one and install (after painting new one).

Painting cost $199 and then $81 for clear coat.

If my math's any good that comes to $1241. Rear bumper almost certainly would be less at least if a new rear bumper needed to be purchased.

If there is any damage to the bumper attachment points, brackets, etc., then the cost can only go up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks. I just went out and got some quotes from the two BEST shops in town. Both use Standox paint for Porsche.

One is quite famous, but I've never worked with them. He quoted around $900-$1000 for the job, and said it maybe a bit more, if the bracket underneath that holds the bumper is broken, and that's like $100.

The other place which is just as good, and I know the owner and have had my Audi done there twice. He quoted $750, and the same question mark for bracket.

Now, I got a $500 deductible, but the accident won't affect my insurance as it's hit&run (although they said the insurance company may still raise insurance if they SUSPECT it's my own fault, like I hit it somewhere).

The question is, is it worth paying $200ish more to do it privately and not have a $1000 paintjob on the car record (for resale values), or should I claim and don't worry about it? The second shop said if I wanna do privately, he could do a bit less $100 or so to help me out.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to use your Porsche, instead of just storing it, something bad will eventually happen to it. The unfortunate possibilities are legion. Your choices are to obsess over & endlessly detail the car or take it out & drive it.

Quick Reply: Some idiot has bumped into me in Parking lot