OBD II reader?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OBD II reader?

Hi guys,

About 4 years back I knew folks were interested in the Durametric OBD II reader (connects to your PC and reads OBD-II + Porsche codes, airbag light etc).

Considering that is 4 yr old news, is there now another/better tool in the market? Something comparable or cheaper than the Durametric tool (which is at ~$270).

FYI, this is for my 996 C2 ... I'm hoping a single tool can work on the Porsche as well as my BMW (though the priority is certainly the 996).

Cheers!
Sid
Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Sids911
Instructor

BTW, Happy 2010 !! May you enjoy many more miles in your car with fewer tickets !!

Anyway, I don't necessarily need it to be "cheaper" ... but somewhere in the 200% or lower range ($0 to $500) range would be sweet - so please don't suggest the $25k official Porsche tool or the $30 OBD-II reader from Autozone (which is ok, but can't read Porsche codes for airbags and other sensors).

Cheers !!!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:57 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Every now and then the Durametric comes up on eBay. That may be a good choice.

There are some other tools but I'm not familiar with them (don't even know the names). I think there is some info over at Renntech.com on them.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the cable that connects the ODB to your computer. I do not use it so if anyone wants to buy it send me a PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
Hi guys,

About 4 years back I knew folks were interested in the Durametric OBD II reader (connects to your PC and reads OBD-II + Porsche codes, airbag light etc).

Considering that is 4 yr old news, is there now another/better tool in the market? Something comparable or cheaper than the Durametric tool (which is at ~$270).

FYI, this is for my 996 C2 ... I'm hoping a single tool can work on the Porsche as well as my BMW (though the priority is certainly the 996).

Cheers!
Sid
I use an Actron OBD code reader data viewer. It works with all cars except CAN. The Actron code reader I have is "old" bought back in the late '90's pre-CAN.

Newer Actron units support CAN and should work with all cars made for sale in USA since '96.

Compared to the Durametric product, the Actron and other non-specific make/model units do not provide as much access/control to the Porsche's OBD and non-OBD controllers and functions. The Actron units as most others are geared towards the emissions related OBD protocols.

With these devices you can read codes, clear codes, monitor OBD parameters like engine speed, MAF, O2 sensor voltages, fuel trims, etc. in "real time" even in some of these test devices capture this info for later downloading via a serial or USB cable to your PC. Some control of the test/diagnostics functions exported by the engine controller are supported and readiness codes are accessible as well.

I've used an Actron unit for years and it has paid for itself many times over. Durametric was not available when I bought my 02 Boxster (in 02) and I had the Actron unit even then and it worked so I stayed with it. It has worked with my '96 Mustang GT, my '01 Camaro Z28, my 02 Boxster, '02 VW Golf TDi, '06 GTO, '08 Cayman S and my '03 Turbo.

The '08 Cayman S was not CAN but KWP2000. (The CAN bus was labeled the comfort bus and used by Porsche to access things like the radio/stereo.)

All cars were supposed to be CAN in 08 but some automakers asked for and got exemptions and continue to offer OBD communication with an older protocol.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Macster,

Are you sure about the CaymanS through 2008? I've been trying to get the Race-Technologies DL1 CAN adaptor to work with it and no success (no CAN data read at all). If there is no CAN-bus in the OBD port, that would explain it.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
savyboy
Drifting

The Durametric cable that came with my FVD ECU flashing kit (997.2) will not only read and clear codes/CELS, but will turn on/off the various module and subsystem options. Like airbags, brake bleeding, etc.

I was quite happy with the functionality of the Durametric. Their site has all the info: http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Macster,

Are you sure about the CaymanS through 2008? I've been trying to get the Race-Technologies DL1 CAN adaptor to work with it and no success (no CAN data read at all). If there is no CAN-bus in the OBD port, that would explain it.

Thanks
My 08 Cayman S bought in April of 2009 (do not remember the build date) was not OBD CAN. OBD protocol was KWP2000, IIRC. (No longer have car.)

I watched tech hook up Porsche computer to the car to clear the oil change warning and to reset the radio/stereo on the "comfort bus" (CAN).

My memory is he had to activate the CAN bus via some command via the KWP2000 bus in order to then communicate with the radio/stereo over the CAN bus.

(I captured this bus traffic with a special monitoring tool/software I have on my laptop but shortly after I did this lost car to an accident and never bothered to study the bus traffic any further.)

The connector has (probably -- you can look -- pin locations 6 and 14) contacts at the CAN pin locations, but the CAN bus is probably not active until enabled by some other means as I mentioned above. Or it may be active but simply has no controller on it that responds to any OBD commands. The data logger you're trying to use does not recognize the CAN bus as the OBD bus, and apparently rightly so.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
My 08 Cayman S bought in April of 2009 (do not remember the build date) was not OBD CAN. OBD protocol was KWP2000, IIRC. (No longer have car.)

I watched tech hook up Porsche computer to the car to clear the oil change warning and to reset the radio/stereo on the "comfort bus" (CAN).

My memory is he had to activate the CAN bus via some command via the KWP2000 bus in order to then communicate with the radio/stereo over the CAN bus.

(I captured this bus traffic with a special monitoring tool/software I have on my laptop but shortly after I did this lost car to an accident and never bothered to study the bus traffic any further.)

The connector has (probably -- you can look -- pin locations 6 and 14) contacts at the CAN pin locations, but the CAN bus is probably not active until enabled by some other means as I mentioned above. Or it may be active but simply has no controller on it that responds to any OBD commands. The data logger you're trying to use does not recognize the CAN bus as the OBD bus, and apparently rightly so.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks! That makes sense and I do have the pins you mention (I've spent plenty of time verifying pin-out). I have bought the Durametric so I'll hook it up to see what it allows, but from your post I'm thinking there is no way to permanently enable the CAN so that the DL1 will be able to talk to it. If true, I'll go to their non-CAN OBDII cable or just grab the feeds from the ECU wiring. Of course all of this has to wait until the car returns from the body shop...
Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Sids911
Instructor

This is a very good discussion ... my only issue with the Durametric tool is their artificial castration of the tool. The tool does OBD-II as well as Porsche specific codes. But even though OBD-II is standardized (in all respects barring vendor specific extensions), it appears that I cannot hook it up to my BMW to read it's OBD-II codes.

The other thing I dislike is that they limit us to only 3 cars ... the h/w unit stores the VIN of each car. Now I don't have 3 Porsches (yet) but in my current state, 2 VINs would be consumed and I hate to think of "oh, I've only got 1 VIN left!". Yes, I could buy the more expensive version (professional), but I'm not a professional car mechanic. I'm an enthusiast. If they really want to prevent the shops from buying the enthusiast package, how about 10 VINs per month? A garage seeing less than 10 porsches a month is either not interested in Porsches or isn't doing good business.

EDIT#1: I'm reading snippets on how one can make a PST2 (or PIWIS?). The gist appears to be: PST2/PIWIS s/w + laptop (IBM 600E) + some PCMCIA diagnostic card (Bosch p/n 0 684 400 401) + a diagnostic lead (bosch p/n 1 684 462 386) = PST2. But I couldn't find a good DIY with a decent step-by-step on building it ...

EDIT#2: BTW, I do respect Durametric for giving the enthusiast's a tool to play with - and for trying to make money off the product. I'd like to champion their product, I'd like them to be successful and compete with Bosch (PST2, PIWIS etc). I just don't want the feeling of getting artificially fleeced!

Last edited by Sids911; 01-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the Durametric guys. They're really nice and friendly by the way, even on a monday just after a long vacation! Kudos to them.

Anyway, so I ordered the Durametric tool. I ordered the enthusiast package (3 VINs only), just option1 ('D' type cable for 1996+ cars). They had some refurbished cables, so I snagged one for ~25% discount off the non-refurbished ones. That's not a killer deal but not a raw deal either - I'll call it fair.

He also clarified that "as a one time free-service" they can remotely clear the 3 VINs on the cable if/when you run into that limit (if you buy/sell your Porsche or the Durametric tool). After that they might charge you but no enthusiast has hit that limit yet so they haven't decided on that fee.

I'll post back regarding the tool itself - more when I actually get the tool. In fact, if I get enough time I'll clean up the 1st post to be informative instead of inquisitive.

I would have loved to pursue the build-your-own PST2/PIWIS but between family, work, school and business plans there is little time for my garage life!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The Durametric cable that came with my FVD ECU flashing kit (997.2) will not only read and clear codes/CELS, but will turn on/off the various module and subsystem options. Like airbags, brake bleeding, etc.

I was quite happy with the functionality of the Durametric. Their site has all the info: http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx
So, if I wanna disable TPMS for my winter tires (without TPMS), it won't work, right? or if I wanna swap seats to no-air bag seats...
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
dustoff6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of Durametric look at this
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/pro...291523e49bad7e
cost $94 and the question is does this do all the dura metric stuff that the $270 kit does
Looks like it does
any thoughts
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dustoff6
speaking of Durametric look at this
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/pro...291523e49bad7e
cost $94 and the question is does this do all the dura metric stuff that the $270 kit does
Looks like it does
any thoughts
Looks like it IS Durametric?!?!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Looks like it IS Durametric?!?!
If t is what I think it is - it is some guy in Toronto who sells (counterfeit?) self-made cables that do work with very old duramentric ver.3 or so. I got it 2 motnhs ago and it worked fine but then I tried to start it with latest durametric ver.5 and somehow this cable decided not to light up green led anymore. durametric software in info section was also saying something about cable being not original or something, and then I never could make it work again. It would light up red led but green one would not come up as it was supposed to.

I still do not know if cable died by itself or if new software killed it. That guy returned me my money.

You can try it and let us know if it will work for you.

Quick Reply: OBD II reader?