Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dustoff6
speaking of Durametric look at this
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/pro...291523e49bad7e
cost $94 and the question is does this do all the dura metric stuff that the $270 kit does
Looks like it does
any thoughts
I just mailed Durametric asking them the same question too ... it could be counterfeit ...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
If t is what I think it is - it is some guy in Toronto who sells (counterfeit?) self-made cables that do work with very old duramentric ver.3 or so. I got it 2 motnhs ago and it worked fine but then I tried to start it with latest durametric ver.5 and somehow this cable decided not to light up green led anymore. durametric software in info section was also saying something about cable being not original or something, and then I never could make it work again. It would light up red led but green one would not come up as it was supposed to.

I still do not know if cable died by itself or if new software killed it. That guy returned me my money.

You can try it and let us know if it will work for you.
Sure, that'd be great thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

BTW, I just emailed Durametric, their new v.6.0 software CAN disable modules (like airbag, TPMS, PASM), IF you paid for the Pro version ($735), which I think is outragous, as I don't wanna pay for unlimited VIN# of cars and extra cables for other cars, etc... the enthusiast version only reads codes and clears *some* codes... not much of a value IMO.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
BTW, I just emailed Durametric, their new v.6.0 software CAN disable modules (like airbag, TPMS, PASM), IF you paid for the Pro version ($735), which I think is outragous, as I don't wanna pay for unlimited VIN# of cars and extra cables for other cars, etc... the enthusiast version only reads codes and clears *some* codes... not much of a value IMO.
that pretty much pissed me too as it is same cable durametric sells for both versions but 'enthusiast' one has features disabled.

well, it is their business, after all. if they get enough profit from it this way - why not. I would buy prof version that would allow me to change some ecu parameters for $300, but $800 is too much.

essentially stuff you would need cable to reprogram in ECU is cheaper to achieve with mod4cars unit - passenger mirrow flop down, horn chirp on doors close/open, windows open/close with holding remote button, one touch windows/sunroof open/close operation. works great and not too expensive.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Sure, that'd be great thanks.
i still suspect ver.6 of software intentionally fried the cable.

ver3. that cable comes with will only allow you to see any error codes and erase them. perhaps it may worth $90. not sure. I am over it now, as my mechanic has his own PIWIS and he is 10 minutes away from me.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i still suspect ver.6 of software intentionally fried the cable.

ver3. that cable comes with will only allow you to see any error codes and erase them. perhaps it may worth $90. not sure. I am over it now, as my mechanic has his own PIWIS and he is 10 minutes away from me.
I don't believe a sofware can fry a cable, but maybe wrote something back to ECU NOT to recognize the 3.0 cable.

Well, 5.0 is pretty much the same then. I guess the other thing is that you can see over-rev indicators on the car, etc...

Again, I think they would sell a lot of their products if they provided the pro features in the enthusiast version.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I don't believe a sofware can fry a cable, but maybe wrote something back to ECU NOT to recognize the 3.0 cable.
Well, you can try to get cable from that guy and try it. essentially it is an enthusiast durametric cable. in my case it worked fine with ver 3.0 that came with it, then I upgraded software to latest version, whatever it is, started it, cable was alive, and during this session working with it green light went off and cable never worked again.

may be I did something wrong, who knows.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Originally Posted by dustoff6
speaking of Durametric look at this
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/pro...291523e49bad7e
cost $94 and the question is does this do all the dura metric stuff that the $270 kit does
Looks like it does
any thoughts
This is what I got from Durametric ... I would avoid that tool ...

Thank you for the heads-up. The tool you speak of is actually an illegal copy of our tool. They utilize a very old version of our software (version 3.x). It is not updatable, so the owner is forced to operate without any of our latest coverage. We have taken numerous steps to combat the duplication, but they persist.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With these OBD2-USB cables and diagnostic tools, the cable usually also acts as a traditional hardware-key-license for the software. That is, the software checks with the cable to know there is a license to run.

I'm sure Durametric is designing the new versions of their software to only work with their own cables, since the software is where the real value and cost is.

So I've got one OBD2-USB cable that works with VAG-COM software to work on my VW and Audi cars (no # of car restrictions), and another that works with Durametric software to work on my Porsche cars. If they stick with the flush at 3, or maybe reset every 10 years or something reasonable, I don't see running out of licenses before I die. However, for folks with multiple Porsches that rotate in and out of leases, the policy could be a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Ok, so I got the cable and tried version 6 of their s/w. I was able to find and clear some my error codes (CEL & airbag). I basically want to see if they come up again and then diagnose them (another topic).

However - I found an awesome feature ... I was able to enable my on-board computer ! My 996 didn't have that option and the durametric tool enabled it. Though right now it only shows me the outside temperature - I need to figure out some way of cycling the display through temp, avg speed, avg gas mileage etc. In anyone has tips, I'm all ears ...

BTW, for usual work (finding & clearing codes), I'd suggest sticking to version5 - the latest version 6 (it's beta as of today) is quite buggy (100% processor usage on Windows 7)
Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sids911
Ok, so I got the cable and tried version 6 of their s/w. I was able to find and clear some my error codes (CEL & airbag). I basically want to see if they come up again and then diagnose them (another topic).

However - I found an awesome feature ... I was able to enable my on-board computer ! My 996 didn't have that option and the durametric tool enabled it. Though right now it only shows me the outside temperature - I need to figure out some way of cycling the display through temp, avg speed, avg gas mileage etc. In anyone has tips, I'm all ears ...

BTW, for usual work (finding & clearing codes), I'd suggest sticking to version5 - the latest version 6 (it's beta as of today) is quite buggy (100% processor usage on Windows 7)
BTW - avg gas milage is not that useful - IMHO more useful one is gas milage since moment of last car startup.
But outside temperature is most useful thing you can have shown, so, I would stick to it.

Interesting thing about computer - you did not have that little short stick on left side of steering wheel below turn lights stick?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 AM
lanceb2009
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how'd you get the fvd ecu tune cable to work with the durametric software? I tuned with FVD and would also like to use the durametric software.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Rob G Kee
1st Gear

Default Warning Code

Greetings,

I just received a warning code on my 997. It is a yellow circle with and upside triangle. Any clues?

Thanks and cheers!

Rob
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

The symbol should be covered in the owners manual.

Here's a link to the 997 dash symbols but I see nothing like you describe.

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...hts_201496.cfm
Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM
A2b
Intermediate

PASM light? If you didn't shut it off, it means it's malfunctioned.

Quick Reply: OBD II reader?