Sponsored by:

Powerlet Socket Location for Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerlet Socket Location for Battery Tender

I plan to install a Low Profile Powerlet Socket somewhere down low on the front bumper, possibly in the air intake area or even in the center in the bumper cover. I need about 1" behind the panel which I install the socket in for it to fit flush. I don't have a good understanding of how much space I have behind these areas so looking to get some input. Here is a pic of another member's Powerlet Socket which he mounted in the frunk area. I am trying to be even lazier by installing this socket outside the frunk area so I can just plug in without even opening the hood. Of course also trying to mount it so it is not too visible. Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I put one just like that but on the driver's side (it aligns nicer for a small refrigerator I sometimes carry in the trunk).

Last edited by Edgy01; 08-05-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I put on just like that but on the driver's side (it aligns nicer for a small refrigerator I sometimes carry in the trunk).
Any details, part # or DIY on the install? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I used the standard Porsche socket (quite inexpensive from the dealer) and then tore up the front end (inside) looking for a good 12VDC source. Can't recall the specific wire I tapped off.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Thanks guys, now back to my question. Dan, I have been doing some research on the Forum and saw a post where u removed the front filler panel for your license plate bracket. I am considering installing my powerlet socket into the top part of this filler panel. How easy is it to remove this panel to check the space behind there or do you know for sure there is space ? Here's a pic where I would like to install the socket so it would be completely hidden. Thanks.
Neil
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Something wrong with using the lighter socket in the cabin?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Yes for me its inconvenient draping a wire across my garage floor, much prefer to plug right in up front, thanks for the reply though !!!

Originally Posted by MJones
Something wrong with using the lighter socket in the cabin?

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2010, 10:08 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if there is space I would be concerned about moisture causing a short - unless your outlet is made for outside use (properly gasketed). Maybe instead of the Porsche one (which I think is intended for interior use) look at Camping World or another supplier likely to have something with better seals. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Thanks, the Powerlet Socket I am going to use is designed for use in cars, boats, motorcycles etc. I have used them on previous cars and motorcycles without a flaw. Here's the product :

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ket-kit-36/166

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Even if there is space I would be concerned about moisture causing a short - unless your outlet is made for outside use (properly gasketed). Maybe instead of the Porsche one (which I think is intended for interior use) look at Camping World or another supplier likely to have something with better seals. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscheman1963
Thanks, the Powerlet Socket I am going to use is designed for use in cars, boats, motorcycles etc. I have used them on previous cars and motorcycles without a flaw. Here's the product :

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ket-kit-36/166
Good call -- seems like a great solution if it will fit.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I agree with p-cardriver. You should want to avoid any plug that could easily short out your entire electrical system. Perhaps a true militarized one with a cannon plug screw in cover (with gasket) and a captive (ball/chain) cover. If you were in Alaska I would suggest you look around shops there to see what they use for block heater connections. I like your thinking, but the Porsche OEM one is no good for your use and application outside in significant weather (and subjected to the force of driving rain, etc. when the car is underway). Unfortunately, most of these types of units are cheaply made, so selecting the outlet is critical. I don't think the one you have in mind is robust enough.

To gain access to the center panel you really need to remove the front bumper first. (There are guides to that linked on Rennlist). Once it is out you can pop that off. I would not attempt it with it installed on the car or you may break off critical retention clips that would sacrifice the center filler panel.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be wary of tapping into any old 12 volt source you find under there; too many sensitive electronics going on; who knows what can happen with all those microprocessors?! In the trunk area I'd only feel safe attaching directly to the pos battery terminal. You'd want to put a fuse in that line to the socket too I'd imagine. Just my two cents.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Thanks Dan, question is do u know if there is room in the upward position of that panel ? No sense removing the bumper if u can tell me there isnt enough space. I need about 1" of clearance behind that panel. The Powerlet brand Socket is made for this type of application and as I said I have used it many times before with no problems, it has a rubber boot on the back side to seal it from weather.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I agree with p-cardriver. You should want to avoid any plug that could easily short out your entire electrical system. Perhaps a true militarized one with a cannon plug screw in cover (with gasket) and a captive (ball/chain) cover. If you were in Alaska I would suggest you look around shops there to see what they use for block heater connections. I like your thinking, but the Porsche OEM one is no good for your use and application outside in significant weather (and subjected to the force of driving rain, etc. when the car is underway). Unfortunately, most of these types of units are cheaply made, so selecting the outlet is critical. I don't think the one you have in mind is robust enough.

To gain access to the center panel you really need to remove the front bumper first. (There are guides to that linked on Rennlist). Once it is out you can pop that off. I would not attempt it with it installed on the car or you may break off critical retention clips that would sacrifice the center filler panel.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Thanks, I plan to go all the way back to the battery and it has an inline fuse as well.

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'd be wary of tapping into any old 12 volt source you find under there; too many sensitive electronics going on; who knows what can happen with all those microprocessors?! In the trunk area I'd only feel safe attaching directly to the pos battery terminal. You'd want to put a fuse in that line to the socket too I'd imagine. Just my two cents.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

If you search here (and on 6Speed and Renntech) for installation of remote radar/laser detectors (like the k40), you'll find some threads with pics of the car with the bumpers off. That may help -- I think there is enough room for a third radiator back there (think turbo), but I'm not really sure about the configuration or the dimensions of the part you're putting in.

Quick Reply: Powerlet Socket Location for Battery Tender