Sponsored by:

PDK vs 6sp

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts
Default PDK vs 6sp

Am considering 997.2 S and have options for PDK cars as well as 6sp cars so am wondering for those of you with PDK any regrets or thoughts? Regrets? I've only had 6sp cars since my 1st Nissan Sentra in 1986 and love the feeling of a manual car shifting and control it gives. However have driven BMW's DCT dual clutch offering at their driving school in SC and do agree that it was a very nice transmission...very smooth and on the track/course allowed me to do things I don't think I could have done or done as easily in a manual car. So am interested in both sides of the story especially from those who've owned and driven the cars.

Am planning a test drive this week of the PDK car and a manual 09 to compare both engines as my last car was an 05 Carrera base.

Anyway any reported PDK problems with ownership? PDK Transmission problems? Driving lag or problems? Like I said am interested in hearing from owners and not just magazine reviews as I've seen those all and while helpful I think have a certain amount of biases in hand.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

PDK definitely faster for gear changing and tracking. 6 speed is more fun though, at least in my experience... I just love the 6 speed Porsche gearbox. End of the day, drive both and see what appeals to you most.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

My '84 Carrera was a 5sp and my '99 Carrera and '07 Boxster S were 6 speeds. I drove for 20 years before I even owned an automatic in any vehicle. That said, I couldn't be more pleased with the PDK in my 2009 Carrera S. The PDK in standard mode is quick to upshift for reasons of economy but Sport mode is perfect for most street driving. The blips of the throttle for rev matching on downshifts sound great with the PSE and windows down! Save Sport Plus (with Sport chrono) for the track. I find the dual steering wheel toggles that allow you to upshift or downshift manually with either hand very convenient and at least as practical as the more common right/upshift left/downshift paddles on my V8 Audi S4 Avant. When dead cold, the 1-2 upshift can be abrupt, but once warmed up even a little, shifting is smooth and lightning quick in virtually all situations. I have experienced no problems with the PDK so far.

Yeah, sometimes I miss the clutch and manual gearbox. But PDK has it's own charms, and I would definitely make the same choice again. As others have said, drive both and decide for yourself.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-29-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As above - drive both back-to-back. Having owned a PDK car for almost a year now, I have zero complaints. I do want a manual on my next 911 for the involvement, but if my 911 were my daily driver, PDK is a winner.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 AM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2009 C4S PDK with Sport Chrono. My thoughts are: you definitely lose something by going to PDK, but you gain other things. It's almost an apples-to-oranges comparison. Sometimes I miss being able to use a clutch, but I love the lightning fast upshifts and downshifts that PDK gives. On balance, I feel that the benefits of PDK outweigh the loss of the clutch. This car rips through the full rpm range so fast that I'd spend all my time working the clutch and attempting not to bounce off the rev limiter if I did not have PDK.

Also: I know this isn't very sporting of me, but the car has so many doo-dads and entertainment options that I am somewhat relieved to have the shifting done for me.

One thing though: Make sure you get sport chrono with PDK if you choose to go that way.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

similar thoughts as everyone; I went in looking for a stick shift, came out with a pdk. You get two transmissions in one really. The fun factor of the standard (albeit a bit toned down from no clutch), and the convenience of an automatic if stuck in traffic or other such situations.
I really like the pdk. no regrets. Shifting is also faster than anything you could do yourself... but that's not necessarily the point of the involvement with a stick shift.
No issues so far (still recent though - 595 miles this AM with close to another 200 by this evening)
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Have PDK - and love it. This is my 4th Porsche and 1st PDK. Really dont miss the manual (yet?). With SC and SPASM you have a car that you can adapt to how you want to drive it. Ranging from DD to track. I wouldn't get a manual again unless I really only drove it occassionally (maybe a 3rd car). I have a DD but hardly use it anymore since I got the 997.2S. I now use the 997.2 much more often than my older Porsche as you can just drive it in any situation.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

My DD 4S is a PDK and I love it. In traffic it is a no-brainer. When not creeping in traffic, I shift it manually. I find it as nearly as involving as the manual in my RS. I have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Condor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize it's unfair to compare the Porsche drivetrain to any BMW, but I got rid of my 2008 M5 because of the dual-clutch SMG. It's not in the same league as PDK based on nearly all accounts, but it was wildly frustrating to have the electronic brain make decisions I disagreed with. I also live in San Francisco, and therefore do a lot of city driving. I find that I can do much better perched at the top of a very steep hill with my C4S than I could with the M5.

So as I shopped for an 09, I passed on a number of great cars solely based on the lack of clutch pedal. Based on the other answers here, it seems hard to go wrong.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The PDK will certainly be quicker, smoother, and easier to drive. There's really no argument about that. Many, like myself, find the driver involvement of a proper manual transmission too important to the sports car experience to give up for those benefits.

At the risk of offending anyone... Chris from Cali has already provided all anyone needs to know in this quote:

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
... I do want a manual on my next 911 for the involvement, but if my 911 were my daily driver, PDK is a winner.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Griswald
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll offer a Porsche newbie perspective. I've always had 6 speed American sports cars, mostly Vetttes and Vipers. When I bought my '09 Carrera S Coupe I started looking with intention of buying another 6 speed. Then, I drove a 6 speed and a PDK back to back and, for me, it was a clear choice. I love the lighting fast shifts I get with the PDK (I sure can't shift a 6 speed this fast) and I also love the option of not having to shift in heavy traffic. As someone else said, Sport Chrono is a must, at least in my opinion.
That all being said, however, many people prefer the increased involvement that comes with using the clutch and using the shifter, which is great as well. Drive them both and decide but I love the PDK.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor
I realize it's unfair to compare the Porsche drivetrain to any BMW, but I got rid of my 2008 M5 because of the dual-clutch SMG. It's not in the same league as PDK based on nearly all accounts,
For the record... the SMG gearbox (even the latest iteration on the current M5 and M6) can't hold a candle to the DCT gearbox that BMW now offers on the M3 (which it sounds like the original poster has some familiarity with).

The SMG is absolute crap compared to the DCT. The DCT, on the other hand, is reportedly very good... nearly as good as the PDK.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual? Go PDK. Faster is better. No offense to "classic" guys but AFAIK, Faster means MORE driver "involvement" not less.

Last edited by LlBr; 12-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
For the record... the SMG gearbox (even the latest iteration on the current M5 and M6) can't hold a candle to the DCT gearbox that BMW now offers on the M3 (which it sounds like the original poster has some familiarity with).

The SMG is absolute crap compared to the DCT. The DCT, on the other hand, is reportedly very good... nearly as good as the PDK.
+1000. The main reason I didnt get the m5 (e60)

I went looking for a spd and would up buy the PDK. I've only had it a short time, but I love it.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

had a 6 speed 997.1 and traded it for PDK 997.2 and i am more than happy with the change, only qualm i have is i wish u could set a default for manual mode which would force me to drive in manual mode more often and therefore get used to it more.. i find myself driving in auto more than i would like, but the car is super adaptive in auto..

get the pdk, youll like it.

Quick Reply: PDK vs 6sp