Sponsored by:

PDK vs 6sp

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nice that Porsche can bring that joy to our faces in different flavors.
Amen.

There's no wrong choice, only the choice that's right for you as an enthusiast.

BTW - not P car related but I saw this video on Jay Leno's garage last night wherein he and Justin Bell discuss the new R8 V10. Justin Bell asks Jay why he prefers the "old school" three pedal, manual transmission and Jay does an excellent job of relaying how I feel. In a nutshell, we both agree the current dual clutch, 2 pedal tranny's are amazing and undeniably quicker than the human but not as fun to drive.

Here's a link to the video if anyone is interested:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...8-v10/1191694/
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Amen.

BTW - not P car related but I saw this video on Jay Leno's garage last night wherein he and Justin Bell discuss the new R8 V10. Justin Bell asks Jay why he prefers the "old school" three pedal, manual transmission and Jay does an excellent job of relaying how I feel. In a nutshell, we both agree the current dual clutch, 2 pedal tranny's are amazing and undeniably quicker than the human but not as fun to drive.

Here's a link to the video if anyone is interested:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...8-v10/1191694/
Great video. You know, I think Jay and Justin Bell have it nailed. There's absolutely no doubt that one can be faster in a modern dual-clutch automatic like the PDK, but, as Jay puts it, the level of involvement has to be less when the car can shift whether you're in it or not...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Manual? Go PDK. Faster is better. No offense to "classic" guys but AFAIK, Faster means MORE driver "involvement" not less.
Oh? Then why didn't you buy a Z06. Its far faster than even a Carrera S, so it must have more driver involvement.

An 89 G50 3.2 has arguably more involvement than a 996, and its WAY slower.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah that brings a good point. Get what you want but make sure you try it (PDK) first.

Remember the "old days" when we were younger, all excited and we'd run up to a cool car to take a look inside. "Wow, Lookit this! The speedometer goes to 160!" and then many times followed the lower tone of disappointment, "Oh, too bad, it's an automatic."

Also my first car as a kid HAD TO HAVE a manual: period!

Now, probably knowing the difference between slush buckets and PDK, kids will run up to car and say, "Wow, it's got PDK - paddle shifters!"

Sadly for us all (PDK and manual advocates) the next generation will have forgotten the manual, "Jay Leno who? Oh, THAT old guy!? So what?"
Old 01-15-2010, 07:41 PM
swajames
Racer

Now kids will run up to car and say, "Wow, it's got PDK paddle shifters!"
Only those who have PlayStations...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Amen.

I have the PDK and love it, but I totally get what Leno and all the 6-speed guys love about the manual too. Enjoyed the video. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Condor
Advanced

Re: Melbourne and SF...

- Similar climates (doesn't snow often in either; doesn't stick when it does)
- Live in the cultural shadow of a coastal juggernaut (Sydney and LA)
- Focus on food culture
- Iconoclasm
- Coffee
- It's what my friends from Mebourne always say when they're here and I'm there
Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 PM
LlBr
Drifting

More PDK data. For purposes of discussion.
I have this for the new 2010 Turbo compared to 997.1TT. Sorry I don't have the NA comp.

Just showing how PDK looks like some lasting fun. Best manual times are 3.9 and 3.6. PDK = 3.4

QUESTION: I seriously don't plan to beat the sht outta my car to get those advertised times. IOW, since I'm not a highly experienced trackster, and I don't want to get huge repair bills, consequently I will never get those max fun times with my manual. Is it safe to assume PDK guys will get those extremely cool times routinely without beating the sht out of their cars? If so, that's certainly sweetens the deal in favor of PDK. Again, no disrespect, to each his/her own.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Sadly for us all (PDK and manual advocates) the next generation will have forgotten the manual, "Jay Leno who? Oh, THAT old guy!? So what?"
this is very true. I don't expect my kids or grandkids to learn to drive manual cars.

this is actually good news, as they will not need to steal my car keys...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

More PDK data. For purposes of discussion.
I have this for the new 2010 Turbo compared to 997.1TT. Sorry I don't have the NA comp.

Just showing how PDK looks like some lasting fun. Best manual times are 3.9 and 3.6. PDK = 3.4

QUESTION: I seriously don't plan to beat the sht outta my car to get those advertised times. IOW, since I'm not a highly experienced trackster, and I don't want to get huge repair bills, consequently I will never get those max fun times with my manual. Is it safe to assume PDK guys will get those extremely cool times routinely without beating the sht out of their cars? If so, that's certainly sweetens the deal in favor of PDK. Again, no disrespect, to each his/her own.
Bet you couldn't tell the difference between 3.9 and 3.4 seconds to 60.

Also, using a manual tranny or the PDK to repeatedly do this type of acceleration run will result in clutch or transmission wear/damage.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It would be really interesting to see the MT backgrounds of everyone offering opinions for or against either MT or PDK.

For example, me:

6 years AT (daily drivers)
30 years of various ATs (occasional use/mostly rentals).
15 years of AT SUVs (occasional use).
20 years driving MTs (daily drivers)
3 years SMG (daily driver)
6 months PDK (daily driver)

All the pros and cons of MT are probably pretty well known to this group - maybe I'm going out on a limb with that assumption. PDK however, only the people who have driven them for the year or less they've been available are going to really know much about them in detail.

The posts I read about PDK test drives just don't seem very informed. I can appreciate that some drivers know they prefer an MT and that's fine - I totally get that, but most non-owners don't seem to understand much about PDK at all - inf fact many owners, including me, are still learning. I continue to be impressed and am still enjoying it.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Also, using a manual tranny or the PDK to repeatedly do this type of acceleration run will result in clutch or transmission wear/damage.
I wonder. Seems that the computer involved in PDK would avoid massive energy mismanagement and resultant damage and excessive wear much better than us amateurs (or even professionals?) furiously rowing thru gears. Just sayin' No biggie. Interesting.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder. Seems that the computer involved in PDK would avoid massive energy mismanagement and resultant damage and excessive wear much better than us amateurs (or even professionals?) furiously rowing thru gears. Just sayin' No biggie. Interesting.
If you have to use launch control, and I'm guessing yes, then even the manual suggests that it causes additional wear and stress on the components. No surprise really.

But for amateurs yes, I think PDK helps - that's why my service center doesn't have any MTs for loaners - people break them.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
If you have to use launch control, and I'm guessing yes, then even the manual suggests that it causes additional wear and stress on the components. No surprise really.

But for amateurs yes, I think PDK helps - that's why my service center doesn't have any MTs for loaners - people break them.
Yeah, you're probably right; it's depressing that "launch control" seems a likely euphemism for the controlled demolition of your drive train. There should be an asterisk next to 0-60 times saying, "only works on stolen cars."

BTW, I'm calling us all amateurs when it comes to trying to duplicate 0-60 times. You'd have to destroy how many trannys to achieve the factory's 0-60 time results and rank as a "professional" in that regard?

Last edited by LlBr; 01-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

I drove my mates Gallardo in auto and found I wasn't paying attention as much as I normally would in a manual. To me that's why I still prefer a manual car...

Quick Reply: PDK vs 6sp