PDK vs 6sp

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Wrong? Not likely!
More driver involvement and interaction is a combination of physical and mental activities, and PDK adds to the weight of the complexity.... because of the increased speed.
Perhaps we agree to disagree here.

On a racetrack where every fraction of a second matters, I can somewhat... somewhat... see your point.

But in real world, public road driving, where 99% of us spend 95+% of our time, I still don't agree.

Put any human with modest eye hand coordination behind the wheel and he/she can push the puttons on the PDK and execute perfect up and downshifts every single time. Put that same person behind the wheel of a manual transmission equipped car and there's a significant amount of time, effort and energy put into executing smooth, quick up and down shifts.

That... THAT... is the driver involvement that I'm talking about.

To be clear... I'm not bashing the PDK. Far from it. It's an amazing piece of technology. But to me, it's not as visceral, not as involving and therefore not as attractive to me as a standard transmission.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the
I've been using the gear **** rather than the steering shifters which is why I have the tendency to want to pull rather than push to go from 1st to 2nd. After 2nd it's no issue.
I'm not saying that it's a big issue anyway. Most times I'm fine with it, but every now and then I get it wrong. I'm not used to shifting at the wheel yet. I used to do some rally races in Europe (nothing major) and always ind myself going back to the gear **** shifter rather than the wheel.

Getting back to the original post. PDK is great. I was just formulating a personal preference, but that has nothing to do with the performance or convenience of the system. Like everyone has said, try both and keep an open mind about the PDK.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK with the Sport Crono Plus can keep you very busy when you wish to be. In traffic PDK auto mode is outstanding. About now if you order a new car you can get paddle shifters but I find that it is more fun to use the shifter. On the standard PDK wheel you will get used to it in a day or so. Push up and pull down. If you drive a demo for 1/2 half an hour, you will probably not like it, but if you drive it for a couple of days you will love the PDK. For those existing PDK owners who want paddles, Champion will install them. You send them the steering wheel and they convert it.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

It's interesting to note that every driver tends to prefer and to defend his/her choice of what they are currently driving. In the end, there is NO correct choice. Both transmissions are GREAT ! Get what you prefer. End of story.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dave, both Pogue and I have one of each, RS with 6 spd and 997 S PDK. We aren't tiptronic(yuch) converts

Best,
Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
PDK with the Sport Crono Plus can keep you very busy when you wish to be. In traffic PDK auto mode is outstanding. About now if you order a new car you can get paddle shifters but I find that it is more fun to use the shifter. On the standard PDK wheel you will get used to it in a day or so. Push up and pull down. If you drive a demo for 1/2 half an hour, you will probably not like it, but if you drive it for a couple of days you will love the PDK. For those existing PDK owners who want paddles, Champion will install them. You send them the steering wheel and they convert it.
Wow so many options and options. I will go drive both cars within the next week or so and see what I prefer. The champion paddle shifter options sounds interesting. Anyone with any more info or pics on that?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dave, both Pogue and I have one of each, RS with 6 spd and 997 S PDK. We aren't tiptronic(yuch) converts

Best,
I have the tiptronic in the Cayenne Turbo too! I can't wait for the PDK in the new Cayenne based upon the Panamera experiences.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to flame any particular POV but FWIW, PDK has a solid punch and grip to it. There's nothing "slush bucket" about it. People who haven't tried one, or subconsciously equate it with an automatic, should really not decide and declare "I like the involvement of a manual" until they try PDK.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed, nothing slushy about PDK at all, esp. in Sport or Sport Plus. And yes, Sport Chrono is a MUST for any PDK car. I took mine out today for a little drive - it is fun working the gears, but I'd still prefer a manual when it's my weekend/fun car.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 AM
vrnkc
Advanced

Default Favor Manual

I like to "row" the shift lever with the 6 sd manual. I like the physical effort of doing so!!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too went in for a 6 speed C4S and came away with a C4S PDK launch car. Having a blast...It's Aliiiiiiiiiiiiive!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Fifth 911 in 38 years. First Auto (PDK). With Sport Chrono, perfect for me!
I no longer stew in heavy traffic and totally enjoy manual sport mode.
PDK, electronics upgrade and a super deal made me leave my 2nd love.(6 speed 06S).
Has to be 2nd or wife would kill me.
She was already unhappy with my trading in the 06S without her OK. :>)
Don't tell her PSE goes on next week, I can turn it off and she will never know.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I have to respectfully disagree with many of the adamant pdk supporters here, but of course, I bought a 6-speed!

I found PDK to be a great automatic, but an automatic in terms of the experience it creates for you in driving the car. It will, in normal auto mode, shift into 6th gear so seamlessly by 30 mph you won't know until you need power and find, doh, it has to kick down 4-5 gears - this lag was to me unacceptable.

So, ended up in sport or sport plus mode all of the time to get it to drive as I would normally on the street (fairly slowly BTW, but not lugging the motor) - which then means aggressive shifting particularly downshifts - a feeling that seems over the top for street driving.

If the car would learn your driving style more and learn to not shift at 2K rpm in auto and auto/sport then I could see it being more fun to drive - otherwise I'm always at odds with where the tranny is as it tries to save gas. I drove one for an hour and couldn't detect it adapting.

If it were a city or track car, there's no doubt PDK is it! My wife wants one For me though for weekend and 2-3 drives a week, I want to shift it manually rather than push a button.

It's all what you like, and what you're paradigm of driving is!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave in Oregon
It's interesting to note that every driver tends to prefer and to defend his/her choice of what they are currently driving. In the end, there is NO correct choice. Both transmissions are GREAT ! Get what you prefer. End of story.
bingo
Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
And lastly,

The less sweat when you get out of the car the greater the involvement (and interaction), even though the physical activity may have been less!

The fast guys are always calm and relaxed!
Not sure about this theory. I've had numerous 45-50 continuous minutes of open track time in a 6 speed car and came out calm and relaxed, but just tired.

Had a 15 minutes test drive in a paddle shift Ferrari California and came out too calm and bored.

Agree with others that said this is about driver's preference only. It has nothing to do with whether PDK or stick shift is better or not.

Yes, we all know that PDK shifts faster. This is a fact. But don't fool ourselves that we are race car drivers. Just because the other guy drives the same car with a PDK does not necessarily mean he can be faster than me in a 6 speed on the track. And even if he is, then thats OK.

I do not disagree with PDK for daily use for its convenience. But 6 speed for me any day for fun driving.

Quick Reply: PDK vs 6sp