Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End to the oil change after break-in debate

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for sharing your analysis - I don't expect changing the oil more frequently then Porsche's recommendations is harmful to the car, but at the same time, I struggle to see a connection between doing that and reduced maintenance costs down the road.

For 997/996 boards, we can read hundreds of posts on failed MAFs, window regulators, ignition switches, minor oil leaks, leaky coolant reservoirs, a hole in the radiator, failed radio, etc, but I can't recall a post where an engine rebuild/major service was brought on early because someone stuck to, and did not exceed, the manufacturer's oil change recommendations.

But maybe the goal isn't to reduce longterm engine maintenance costs, maybe the OP's goal is to be satisfied that he keeps his engine in as perfect a condition as he can, and this makes him enjoy the car more - in that case, the goal is being met.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK the catastrophic engine failures on the 997 have largely been the result of IMS issues which are not oil related. RMS failures, again not oil related. Typically what goes wrong in these cars are the electronic compenents i.e., absolutely nothing related to the frequency of oil changes.

Granted there are all sorts of people on this board who are smarter than the Porsche engineers (they told us so themselves) so who are we to question them?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
Particle size is an important consideration, and the report does not give information on this.

For example, if these metal contaminants average 10 microns in size, and typical engine clearances are 100 microns, I would expect the metals to do little damage - they would flow around with the oil. On the other hand, if the particulates are comparable in size to the engine clearances, then there would be more abrasion.

I would expect that engine designers have thought this through. "If engine clearances are X, then we should specify engine oil filters that remove particles greater than Y to minimize engine wear." The manufacturers should know what X and Y are.

Particles much smaller than Y may be indicative of engine wear, but they do not necessarily contribute to additional wear.

The test lab should also be asked for a particle size distribution, but I suspect that this is difficult to obtain at the concentrations we are talking about.
Engine clearances are not fixed. While statically the clearance a main bearing has between itself and its journal may be between 0.001" to 0.0005" under operation this can vary as the crank whips a bit. There can even zero clearance as anyone who has torn down an engine can confirm due to the very clear evidence of metal to metal contact by the journal and the bearing.

Then one must consider the cam lobe and valve lift bucket. The only clearance this interface has is the thickness of the film of oil that manages to develop between the lobe and the bucket face. At this interface pressures can approach 170,000psi (and higher for other engines with heavier valve springs). The oil film is not exceptionally thick on a good day.

The oil film at the upper end of the cylinder between the rings and the cylinder wall varies considerably too. And the oil film that must exist between the piston ring groove walls and the sides of the ring.

And God only knows what oil film thickness exists in the zero lash hardware and the VarioCam Plus oil operated pins that lock the two camshaft followers together or unlock them.

Then there is the oil film thickness between the chain rollers and the chain sprocket, the oil film thickness between the rollers and the inner pin, and lest we not forget the zero thick oil film between the bearing ***** of the IMS bearing the the bearing races.

Lastly we have an oil pump that has to pump this oil, over 60 liters of it per minute, and the oil pump gets the oil before it is filtered. Over the life of the engine the oil pump could pump nearly 36,000,000 liters of oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM
mulepacker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing the interesting data. At what point do you plan to change the oil again? I hope you analyze the oil from you next oil change for comparison and post the results. I would anticipate much more normal levels of contaminants which will support that the cost of the oil change is well worth the expense. It's intuitive to believe that it's helpful to get rid of the assembly debris as soon as possible. How much does the analysis cost? $20? Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
AFAIK the catastrophic engine failures on the 997 have largely been the result of IMS issues which are not oil related. RMS failures, again not oil related. Typically what goes wrong in these cars are the electronic compenents i.e., absolutely nothing related to the frequency of oil changes.

Granted there are all sorts of people on this board who are smarter than the Porsche engineers (they told us so themselves) so who are we to question them?
Lala - Oil change intervals vary with use. People who track their cars change the oil more frequently than Porsche specifies in the manual.

Consider, the manual for a cup car using a nearly identical engine calls for oil changes much more frequently, in fact a Cup car used for racing is supposed to have the engine rebuilt every 40 hours (996 Cup). A 996 GT3 using the same engine has a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. Does this suggest that perhaps track use stresses the engine and its lubricants more than a cruise on the highway?

Sustained operation at high revs is normal on track and virtually impossible on the street. All manufacturers recommend more frequent oil changes based on severe service. I suggest you inform yourself of change intervals suggested by those same engineers for cars used for racing. Cars used for both street and track should use change intervals between the two extremes which is what those of us who own and drive these cars do. What do you drive?

Regards,
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
While there's a lot of apples-and-oranges going on in this thread, it really all comes down to - who do you believe.
I've always tried to evaluate the advice I get (on any subject I might not be well-versed in) based, in part, on the agenda of the person giving the advice.
Just because a carpenter might recommend a hammer to solve every problem, doesn't mean the discussion has to end there.
As quantifiable as these "elements" in oil may be, what the amounts mean to the way you drive is still a matter of interpretation. It's not a fact/fiction dichotomy.
Of course, I could be wrong. It's happened before (earlier in this thread, apparently).
do you not get a blood test every 6 months for preventative maintenance?

....magnetic drain plug and oil analysis is exactly that.... and I think blackstone has enough experience in the game to tell us what the threshold values are.... but that's a good point you may want to contact them directly concerning this... however... if you don't analyze your oil... your playing in the dark...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by c70Pete
....magnetic drain plug and oil analysis is exactly that....
BTW the magnetic oil plug is only good for ferrous based metals i.e. iron, steel, etc. not aluminum, copper, brass, lead, nickel, etc. The point being that you could develop a false sense of security if you depend upon the presence or absence of material on the plug as an indicator of engine health.

These engines have cylinder sleeves so they're not like the old Vega engines where the pistons are running in aluminum cylinders. The crankshafts are either cast iron or forged steel (I don't know which) so the only sources of ferrous metals are the cylinder sleeves, crankshaft, camshafts and oil pump.

Last edited by CarGuy21; 12-21-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: additional data
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
BTW the magnetic oil plug is only good for ferrous based metals i.e. iron, steel, etc. not aluminum, copper, brass, lead, nickel, etc. The point being that you could develop a false sense of security if you depend upon the presence or absence of material on the plug as an indicator of engine health.

These engines have cylinder sleeves so they're not like the old Vega engines where the pistons are running in aluminum cylinders. The crankshafts are either cast iron or forged steel (I don't know which) so the only sources of ferrous metals are the cylinder sleeves, crankshaft, camshafts and oil pump.
that's a great point!... I know during the first 1,500 km break in there was lots of metalic dust around magnet plug .... but the whole point here is to send the oil away for stuff that doesn't collect.... I rely more on the oil analysis than the drain plug... the drag plug is only there to pick up chunks... if you've got a chunk attached you know something is going down... lol...
Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21

Actually the 997 engines do not have sleeves ( unless they were repaired). The cylinders are aluminum with Nikosil(?) ( for the 997.2) or Lokasil coating on the aluminum cylinder surfaces ( for the 997.1). Both have proved to be durable. I think the Vega invloved a number of design fiascos.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, Porsche allows a huge amount of variation in oil consumption from engine to engine. Up to 1.6 qts per 622 miles!!!? What does that mean? I don't know but maybe it's safe to bet that every NEW engine is different as far as clearances (and quality and longevity?) are concerned. So there may not really be a standard from which to judge a 95% good brand new engine from a 75% good brand new engine: both will wind up in cars at factory.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Actually the 997 engines do not have sleeves ( unless they were repaired). The cylinders are aluminum with Nikosil(?) ( for the 997.2) or Lokasil coating on the aluminum cylinder surfaces ( for the 997.1). Both have proved to be durable. I think the Vega invloved a number of design fiascos.
Thanks!! I wasn't aware of that. Yes, the Vega had a number of design issues, etc. Not on my list of cars I've ever owned.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually the 997 engines do not have sleeves ( unless they were repaired).
FYI - some 997.2 do have steel lined cylinders (e.g. 3.8L).
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by mulepacker
Thanks for sharing the interesting data. At what point do you plan to change the oil again? I hope you analyze the oil from you next oil change for comparison and post the results. I would anticipate much more normal levels of contaminants which will support that the cost of the oil change is well worth the expense. It's intuitive to believe that it's helpful to get rid of the assembly debris as soon as possible. How much does the analysis cost? $20? Thanks again.
More than likely, it will be a year before the next oil change. I don't drive the GT3 that often (weekend toy) so I will struggle to get 2-3k in that time frame. I will still send the oil in for analysis and I would expect the high ppm counts to begin to level off and return to normal levels.

Blackstone's basic test is $22.50 - worth it to see the health of an engine.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
FYI - some 997.2 do have steel lined cylinders (e.g. 3.8L).
I missed that info. Which ones have the liners?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Clifton
Pro

I missed that info. Which ones have the liners?
As stated above, the 3.8Ls, specifically the GT3s.

Porsche added steel liners because they reached the bore limit of the motor. They did so to reinforce the walls which also came with a 7.7lbs weight gain.

Quick Reply: End to the oil change after break-in debate