Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCS tow-hook license mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:14 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Where do you buy this JCS thing? Can't find it on the internet anywhere...
Old 02-14-2010, 03:42 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Where do you buy this JCS thing? Can't find it on the internet anywhere...
The bracket is designed/sold by forum member Rolf Stumberger. He can be contacted at stumberger_r@msn.com, cost is $ 37.50 including shipping in US.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The bracket is designed/sold by forum member Rolf Stumberger. He can be contacted at stumberger_r@msn.com, cost is $ 37.50 including shipping in US.
It is the bracket I use and I can say it works perfectly well. Looks good too.
No complaints whatsoever.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the ROW Porsche puts on this plastic bracket, ofcourse holes are made in the bumper, but we have to have front licence plates
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think that the JCS solution is simpler, more flexible, lighter and half the price.
I would agree and have the JCS unit for my 997, however he does not make one for Cayenne's. Therefore it depends... Gominigo is the proper unit to get for those looking for a Cayenne solution.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:29 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Reviving an old but most useful thread... anyone know if Rolf is still selling these?

Side note to share- Our CA tax dollars at work - as I was going 65-70 mph from express lane to 4 lanes to the right getting ready to exit, saw a CHP in my rear view coming on ramp into the freeway... he changed lanes to the furthest left going 101 Southbound, and right when I exited he came 4 lanes across to pull me over for no front plates! Essentially , he made all that effort - crossed into the express lane, sped up just to see if I had plates on his rear view and pull me over on a Saturday at 11a for just that, no front plates.. must of made his day ! Looks like a 22 year old straight out of the academy. Bay Area drivers beware
Old 09-10-2018, 05:15 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fix it

Originally Posted by vg247
Reviving an old but most useful thread... anyone know if Rolf is still selling these?

Side note to share- Our CA tax dollars at work - as I was going 65-70 mph from express lane to 4 lanes to the right getting ready to exit, saw a CHP in my rear view coming on ramp into the freeway... he changed lanes to the furthest left going 101 Southbound, and right when I exited he came 4 lanes across to pull me over for no front plates! Essentially , he made all that effort - crossed into the express lane, sped up just to see if I had plates on his rear view and pull me over on a Saturday at 11a for just that, no front plates.. must of made his day ! Looks like a 22 year old straight out of the academy. Bay Area drivers beware
I got a fix it in SF a few months ago. If you opt for a different route aside from the tow hook mount, I would suggest Skene Design license plate brackets as drilling is done under the bumper and not upfront, so you dont see holes on the face of the bumper.

https://skenebrackets.com

here is how i mounted mine and can easily be adjusted upward or downward depending on your liking. I adjustment mine further upward after I took this photo.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:46 PM
vg247
Pro

Thanks JQ.. Rolf did reply to me via email and said he had stopped making them for a few years now, bummer
Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by JQ911
I got a fix it in SF a few months ago. If you opt for a different route aside from the tow hook mount, I would suggest Skene Design license plate brackets as drilling is done under the bumper and not upfront, so you dont see holes on the face of the bumper.

https://skenebrackets.com

here is how i mounted mine and can easily be adjusted upward or downward depending on your liking. I adjustment mine further upward after I took this photo.

If you feel you have to have that ugly assed plate in front, I think this is the route I would go.
The tow hook mount looks like plate is on display like a billboard and ugly.

Down low looks 100% better.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM
JQ911
Racer

Originally Posted by groovzilla
If you feel you have to have that ugly assed plate in front, I think this is the route I would go.
The tow hook mount looks like plate is on display like a billboard and ugly.

Down low looks 100% better.
A lot of people I see in SF with new cars have no plates and the 997.2, I got did not have front plates either when I got it. I thought to myself, if previous owner did not run front plates from 2009 to 2018, then its not an issue. Unfortunately, I got a fix it 4 months into the ownership and was pulled over again a few weeks thereafter but got out of the 2nd one as I showed the officer the Skenes bracket I installed and showed him the DMV invoice on the new plates I ordered since I only have one plate when I bought it.

The 2nd pull over I had was the same as what VG247 experienced but mine was on 280S bound for Half Moon Bay. I was minding my own business at the rightmost lane doing less than 65mph and CHP was merging at my rear from one of the exits I passed then went on my left blind spot for a few minutes overtook me and was ahead 3 cars length and a few moments slowed down as as soon as I passed boom lights on. I told him I got a fix it a few months ago and bought the front license plate bracket which I told him was installed at the front (mounting brackets only) and was just waiting for the plates I ordered and pulled out my DMV print out on the plates I ordered. He looks straight out of college looking to keep up with his quota
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM
JQ911
Racer

The 2nd pull over I had was the same as what VG247 experienced but mine was on 280S bound for Half Moon Bay. I was minding my own business at the rightmost lane doing least than 65mph and CHP was merging at my rear from one of the exits I passed then went on my left blind spot for a few minutes overtook me and was ahead 3 cars length and a few moments slowed down as as soon as I passed boom lights on. I told him I got a fix it a few months ago and bought the front license plate bracket which I told him was installed at the front (mounting brackets only) and was just waiting for the plates I ordered and pulled out my DMV print out on the plates I ordered. He looks straight out of college looking to keep up with his quota
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 PM
vg247
Pro

Yeah that’s too bad the CHP love our cars, and lock on them for a reason to pull us over for a citation like heat seeking missiles.... I’ve had a silver MB coupe for over a decade with no plates and nothing (fingers crossed), same with my newer white MB coupe as well.

The good fortune is they’re only fix it tickets lol I may just purchase the nice one from Renn $100 I think. Definitely not leaving it on ;-) just when parked in the city from those San Francisco meter maids and for future fix it tickets ...
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

I went 13 yrs on my 964 without a front plate, even had a replica euro plate, and never had an issue. My current 997 is a lifelong CA car and did not have a front plate when I bought it not long ago. The front bumper was never drilled in its 12 yr life.

I decided to not tempt fate and did the Skene bracket just like JQ911. I can take the plate off in less than 5 min and the bracket is not visible unless you look for it.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 PM
JQ911
Racer

Originally Posted by 911URGE
I went 13 yrs on my 964 without a front plate, even had a replica euro plate, and never had an issue. My current 997 is a lifelong CA car and did not have a front plate when I bought it not long ago. The front bumper was never drilled in its 12 yr life.

I decided to not tempt fate and did the Skene bracket just like JQ911. I can take the plate off in less than 5 min and the bracket is not visible unless you look for it.
This is how it looked now. I decided to take it off and just tell incase I get pulled over again that I am painting the brackets black. I will plastidip it black so it won't be seen from afar.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JQ911
This is how it looked now. I decided to take it off and just tell incase I get pulled over again that I am painting the brackets black. I will plastidip it black so it won't be seen from afar.

Great idea on the Plastidip black. It will blend in better against the 3rd radiator on my car. Also of note before I mounted my plate I curved it slightly to go match the front then mounted the Skene brackets.

Quick Reply: JCS tow-hook license mount