Sponsored by:

JCS tow-hook license mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts
Default JCS tow-hook license mount

Recently I have seen various posts showing evidence of a renewed enforcement of the front license plate requirement in some states. This is why I just purchased JCS' tow-hook mounting plate. I looked at several designs and selected this one. Why?

1 - It is well made. Well machined metal parts and good fasteners
2 - Great (light) black stiff plastic backplate - warp-free
3 - Flexible post mounting attach points, offering multiple offsets
4 - And most important - light weight as compared to other heavier designs.

I will keep it in the trunk. But, if the pressure is on I will put it on permanently. Off-center is not a bad thing. Many classic cars have off-center front plates.

Here are some pics I borrowed from another thread:

I have no affiliation with JCS (who BTW is a forum member - name: Rolf Stumberger), just a satisfied customer.

Note: The bracket is designed/sold by forum member Rolf Stumberger. He can be contacted at stumberger_r@msn.com, cost is $ 37.50 including shipping in US.

Last edited by ADias; 02-14-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Contact info.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the broke state of CA, I plan on getting one myself.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like a good solution.

But from an examination of the parts in the photo it looks like the plate would mount perpendicular to the mounting stud and thus parallel to the front of the car, and not tangential to the bumper cover at the point of attachment.

I suspect there is quite a gap between the plate and bumper on the passenger side. That may explain why no photos from above are shown.

But still, in a pinch, just to pass muster with the authorities, it's a simple and quick solution.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
Looks like a good solution.

But from an examination of the parts in the photo it looks like the plate would mount perpendicular to the mounting stud and thus parallel to the front of the car, and not tangential to the bumper cover at the point of attachment.

I suspect there is quite a gap between the plate and bumper on the passenger side. That may explain why no photos from above are shown.

But still, in a pinch, just to pass muster with the authorities, it's a simple and quick solution.
You are correct. The plate's plane is perpendicular to the car axis, and I think it is the way it should be. If one wants to tilt it I imagine JCS could supply a wedge (replacing the large washer) as an optional item.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been noted in other threads and explained -but just a reminder the plate mounting screws are long, they will likely come through to the bumper side. This is because a frame around the plate may require the longer length. If this is the case, get shorter screws or grind them off. Also a rubber bumper foot (as you'll find at Radio Shack) on the back of the black plastic mount works well on the area farthest from the tow hook mount if it pushed against the bumper.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ADias
You are correct. The plate's plane is perpendicular to the car axis, and I think it is the way it should be. If one wants to tilt it I imagine JCS could supply a wedge (replacing the large washer) as an optional item.
You would actually need two "wedge washers" with the mounting plate in between.

Also, having it at an angle may help hinder the effectiveness of photo enforcers, if that's of any interest to anyone.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RH512
It's been noted in other threads and explained -but just a reminder the plate mounting screws are long, they will likely come through to the bumper side. This is because a frame around the plate may require the longer length. If this is the case, get shorter screws or grind them off. Also a rubber bumper foot (as you'll find at Radio Shack) on the back of the black plastic mount works well on the area farthest from the tow hook mount if it pushed against the bumper.
With a frame or a thin plastic cover, the supplied screws are spot on. As you stated, the screw tips are easy to grind off.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

You would actually need two "wedge washers" with the mounting plate in between.

Also, having it at an angle may help hinder the effectiveness of photo enforcers, if that's of any interest to anyone.
One wedge is enough to tilt the plate to one side.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

One wedge is enough to tilt the plate to one side.
But how are you going to return that tilt back to a normal (or orthogonal) plane for the mounting screw to apply its grip?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

But how are you going to return that tilt back to a normal (or orthogonal) plane for the mounting screw to apply its grip?
The post is mounted and tightened on the tow hook hole first. Then you mount the plate with the wedged spacer.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

The post is mounted and tightened on the tow hook hole first. Then you mount the plate with the wedged spacer.
I understood that. But you didn't answer my question.

Here, go through it mentally to see what I'm talking about.

The post has a flat surface perpendicular to the axis of the threaded hole. The wedge washer that butts up against that surface must have a surface normal to that axis, as well as one on an angle to provide the "tilt." The plate mounting bracket, being flat, rests against the wedge side of the washer providing the angled orientation. With me so far?

Now, in order to use that mounting screw that screws into the threaded hole and secures the plate bracket to the post, another identical wedge washer is needed to complete the transition. The wedge side of the second washer presses against the plate mounting bracket and the orthogonal face butts up against the head of the mounting screw so that it can apply a normal compressive load.

Does that make sense now?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I understood that. But you didn't answer my question.

Here, go through it mentally to see what I'm talking about.

The post has a flat surface perpendicular to the axis of the threaded hole. The wedge washer that butts up against that surface must have a surface normal to that axis, as well as one on an angle to provide the "tilt." The plate mounting bracket, being flat, rests against the wedge side of the washer providing the angled orientation. With me so far?

Now, in order to use that mounting screw that screws into the threaded hole and secures the plate bracket to the post, another identical wedge washer is needed to complete the transition. The wedge side of the second washer presses against the plate mounting bracket and the orthogonal face butts up against the head of the mounting screw so that it can apply a normal compressive load.

Does that make sense now?
You can use a single wedge with a hole drilled perpendicular to the wedge surface butting against the post. You just need a longer bolt given the wedge's extra thickness.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 PM
OCBen
Banned

You can use a single wedge with a hole drilled perpendicular to the wedge surface butting against the post. You just need a longer bolt given the wedge's extra thickness.
Sketch it out, that's all I can say.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I recently got the gominigo products - very well made and complete kit, with a metal backing plate and mounting hardware for the plate included. I haven't mounted it on the TT yet, but I put one on the wife's Cayenne S.

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-main.html
Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I recently got the gominigo products - very well made and complete kit, with a metal backing plate and mounting hardware for the plate included. I haven't mounted it on the TT yet, but I put one on the wife's Cayenne S.

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-main.html

I think that the JCS solution is simpler, more flexible, lighter and half the price.

Quick Reply: JCS tow-hook license mount