Got it!!!!!!!!! 2009 997 C2S!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Incorrect on both counts.
Velocity is the first derivative of distance with respect to time: V=dD/dt in English terms. Or, as most physics students learned it, V=ds/dt
I learned it as V = dx/dt. Or first derivative of position.
Oh, Acceleration is the first derivative of velocity, not the second.
which is the second derivative of position. dave
Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I learned it as V = dx/dt. Or first derivative of position.
Well then you learned incorrectly, or you don't remember your learning. Take your pick.

The derivative with respect to time is defined as the change in value of a quantity divided by the change in time in which that quantity changed, as that interval in time is reduced infinitesimally such that it approaches a value of zero.

Position is just a point in space. It doesn't change. It is constant. Hence there is no derivative of position. Now the change of position is indeed a quantity that can be measured. And in one dimensional space, change of position is measured by distance between the two points being measured.

Originally Posted by dasams
which is the second derivative of position. dave
See above.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, step away from the blackboard.

One dimensional space!? My son in Grade 7 can call bs on that. One dimensional space is a point. Not interesting.

Also you're wrong on whatever blather you're tripping on about position being a constant......
Constants are constants, typically denoted a,b....n. Certainly not position or x

v =dx/dt is perfectly valid notation.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite color, very nice
Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by GHills
Ben, step away from the blackboard.

One dimensional space!? My son in Grade 7 can call bs on that. One dimensional space is a point. Not interesting.

Also you're wrong on whatever blather you're tripping on about position being a constant......
Constants are constants, typically denoted a,b....n. Certainly not position or x

v =dx/dt is perfectly valid notation.
I figured some a-hole would jump at the chance to try his darnest to find fault with my post and make some lame sarcastic remark. Never fails.

Maybe you should ask your seventh grader to help you understand these abstruse concepts that apparently escape your ability to grasp and understand.

A line occupies one-dimensional space. A plane occupies two-dimensional space -- basic Euclidean geometry stuff, nothing complicated. So what does that make a point? (No, you can't cheat off your son.) It makes a point ............... zero-dimensional.

What I was saying is that position is defined by a point in space, an assigned address location. In one-dimensional space the address would take on only one value to properly locate position, in two-dimensional space two values, in three-dimensional space three values. The space between two position points is simply the distance between them.

Velocity is a concept of motion, of traversed distance over some time interval. Speed is its scalar component that even you might be able to grasp. Average speed is simply the total traversed distance divided by the total time. Instantaneous speed at a particular position along this traversed distance is simply the scalar component of the velocity vector for that position point.

And like I said before, you can call it what you want and annotate it how you want so long as you stipulate your definitions a priori. But the concept of velocity is distance over time, not position over time.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Nope, standard thickness. I agree it looks thick, but it feels a bit thin.
OK - same as mine. As you say it feels a bit thin at first but after a while I've grown to prefer it.

Enjoy!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
V=dx/dt and then Acceleration is the second derivative dv/dt
Incorrect on both counts.

Velocity is the first derivative of distance with respect to time: V=dD/dt in English terms.

In Latin terms (as used by Galileo et al.), Velocita=d(spatium)/d(tempus)

Or, as most physics students learned it, V=ds/dt

But the term for distance can be anything so long as it's meaning is first stipulated.

Oh, Acceleration is the first derivative of velocity, not the second.
If you guys are so smart then figure out the equation of the tangent line which points directly to your closest Porsche dealer.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Moderato
If you guys are so smart then figure out the equation of the tangent line which points directly to your closest Porsche dealer.
I know this one.
P = d$/dt or in English, the change in money as it relates to time.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
I know this one.
P = d$/dt or in English, the change in money as it relates to time.
I can't believe someone got the correct answer this quickly. If you need me to write a proof, I'm an expert on that subject. It's the precise reason I haven't been able to buy a P-car yet!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then you learned incorrectly, or you don't remember your learning. Take your pick.

The derivative with respect to time is defined as the change in value of a quantity divided by the change in time in which that quantity changed, as that interval in time is reduced infinitesimally such that it approaches a value of zero.

Position is just a point in space. It doesn't change. It is constant. Hence there is no derivative of position. Now the change of position is indeed a quantity that can be measured. And in one dimensional space, change of position is measured by distance between the two points being measured.

You fail
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by _Nathan
You fail
And you fail even worse, not to understand what I said about how terms are defined.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Great Color...best of luck
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, it's my thread, so I'm going to jump back in for a moment:

I figured some a-hole would jump at the chance to try his darnest to find fault with my post and make some lame sarcastic remark.
Pot, meet kettle.

Dave, you're so right about that. d$/dt approaches infinity as the check changes hands. Anyway, I'd thank everyone for the compliments on the color, but alas, I can't really take credit. All I did was recognize it as pretty and pick it from the lot. I think it's fabulous. Understated, but different.

Over 400 miles so far and doing great. Reading the owner's manual cover to cover over the course of a few evenings. Love having a new p-car... nothing else like it in the world.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Pot, meet kettle.
Hey, I only jumped in this thread to defend your use of the notation for velocity.

Some people can be so ungrateful.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Moderato
Racer

Love having a new p-car... nothing else like it in the world.
Sounds like both sides of the limit as x-->911 are infinitely positive. So that means the limit as x-->911 is defined.

Quick Reply: Got it!!!!!!!!! 2009 997 C2S!