Sponsored by:

Got it!!!!!!!!! 2009 997 C2S!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey, I only jumped in this thread to defend your use of the notation for velocity.

Some people can be so ungrateful.
Which I appreciate. And your input really increases the general knowledge level on this board, especially in the natural sciences. I was just pointing out the obvious irony of that statement.

Peace.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Which I appreciate. And your input really increases the general knowledge level on this board, especially in the natural sciences. I was just pointing out the obvious irony of that statement.
Well, if you were paying attention, I was forced to respond to an uncalled-for rude comment leveled at me. If you noticed, I didn't respond by retaliating in kind (which your pot meet kettle comment alludes to) such as saying he should lay off the sauce as he had to be drunk out of his mind to post such drivel when he said I had to be tripping on something to post what I did. Instead I posted a general comment about it seemingly never fails that some a-hole always seems to want to take his best shot at me, without directly calling him an a-hole. I realize that the risk of being subtle is that it's often lost on quite a few.

But yeah, I thought your comment was uncalled for, seeing that I was only coming to your defense in this thread.

But it's okay, I have thick skin. Enjoy your beautiful new ride. And make sure to include your son on many of these rides as these will be memories that will last a lifetime.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm surprised that no-one has used the third derivative of position with respect to time in this series of retaliations. It is simultaneously nerdy and witty:

d^3x/dt^3 = JERK!

SNB
Old 11-07-2009, 01:40 PM
GHills
Instructor

Hey Ben! How's your one dimensional space treating you?! Done any more pontificating about constants and variables?
I'm surprised you don't have an opinion on jerk, above. Concept is widely used in engine design.....you know, by engineers and science types.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Boy oh boy... why did I ask the OP what he meant by D? it started a sorry controversy.

The OP stated that D is distance, others used x and s for distance variables (which is common). Why argue about nonsensical details?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shahrukh_bakar
d^3x/dt^3 = JERK!
The limit as x->JERK! is infinite in both directions, therefore f'(x) = DNE.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
boolala
Race Car

I think that the use of abbreviations has confused the matter.

X as used above is not a constant but a function of time and technically is written as x(t). Under those circumstances d x(t)/dt is the velocity. You can use any variable name interchangably for x. X is also the distance traveled as a function of time. As long as an object moves in a straight line you can always adjust your x axis to be along the direction of travel. This is an arbitrary choice. If the path is not a straight line then x(t) becomes a 3 dimentional vector and its first derivative is the velocity vector and is tangent to the direction of travel.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Moderato
Racer

This thread should win an award. I've never in my entire Internet career seen a "got my new car thread" get hijacked over a Calculus debate. If someone here has a PhD in math then please settle this otherwise we should all
Old 11-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

ironically once the limit of civility was reached.......

much ado about notational differences..
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moderato
This thread should win an award. I've never in my entire Internet career seen a "got my new car thread" get hijacked over a Calculus debate. If someone here has a PhD in math then please settle this otherwise we should all
Yeah, otherwise they might add calculus to the list of thread topics that get moved to the "Politics and Controversy" forum.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

OC I am not wrong the acceleration is the 2nd derivative of the first equation of distance.
thats the difference between physicists and Engineers. Engineers are employed.
the velocity is the first derivative of the distance equation .
I suppose I could be wrong I havent used that in 25 years and its off the top of my head.
But I doubt it.
Its the classic problem given to first year physics students They are given the distance equation
and asked to find the firs derivative of that which is velocity and the 2nd derivative of that is
Accelleration.

Last edited by OldGuy; 11-07-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

That first picture is priceless, I love it!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
OC I am not wrong the acceleration is the 2nd derivative of the first equation of distance.
thats the difference between physicists and Engineers. Engineers are employed.
the velocity is the first derivative of the distance equation .
I suppose I could be wrong I havent used that in 25 years and its off the top of my head.
But I doubt it.
Its the classic problem given to first year physics students They are given the distance equation
and asked to find the firs derivative of that which is velocity and the 2nd derivative of that is
Accelleration.
I'm Professor Stephen W. Hawking and I approve this message.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GHills
Hey Ben! How's your one dimensional space treating you?
Yeaaaahhhh, I should have known the concept of a linear dimension would be way over your head. Who was I kiddin'? I'm actually surprised you even know how to use a computer -- after your son logs you in and lets you use it.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
...thats the difference between physicists and Engineers. Engineers are employed.
Wow. The brilliance of your logic astounds me.

Old Guy, why don't you stick to your rocking chair. And leave the thinking to trained professionals.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Car's great. 500 miles. Son and I still love it.

Carry on....

Quick Reply: Got it!!!!!!!!! 2009 997 C2S!