Sponsored by:

997.2 GT3 questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 questions.....

been waffling back and forth on ordering a GT3 but a few things are bothering me...

A: Interior can ONLY come black or natural grey?

B: I know its a "purists" car and thats why its 6speed, but i heard rumors from a few different people that they might introduce a PDK version? does anyone have more info on this? i am a 6speed lover.. but my 997.2 converted me to LOVE PDK!... so this would be a big big plus for me.

C: the standard suspension is how much lower than base carrera? i know the pasm is 10, the sport pasm is 20, isnt the GT3 like 30?

D: i never for sure understood the widths of the 997.1 GT3 vs GT3RS.. isnt the RS wider? is this still the same now? (i know the site says all carreras' are 71.18 even the 4's but they are not.. just a mistake on the site.. GT3 is a narrow body and RS is widebody or they are all narrowbody?

E: Sport Chrono mode is listed in "audio and communications" and only really mentions the timer and personalized features.. so does this mean they all have sport mode? or sport mode doesnt change the mapping at all but just is timing and personal setting?

thats it for now..... im hoping the PDK thing is a yes for like 2011 and then im good to go for another year and surely getting that.. my PDK feels 100x better than my manual 997.1.... i cant even imagine 435hp N/A in a PDK... wow!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:23 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 144 Posts

A: Yes.

B: Consensus is that there won't be PDK with the old Metzger GT1-derived motor currently running in the GT3 and GT3RS (that the new Turbo PDK no longer uses this motor is an indication).

C: The GT3 is probably about 10mm lower than S-PASM as you state, however the front splitter creates an extremely narrow approach angle compared to the Carrera models, which is what makes the GT3 difficult to use daily, and prompted the new nose-lift option.

D: C2, C2S, and GT3 are narrow body; C4, C4S, T4, T4S, GT3RS, GT2, and Turbo are wide body.

E: Sport Chrono doesn't do much on the GT3. It has a 'sport' mode regardless of the SC option.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A) Only Black

B) Doubtfull

C) It's the splitter which is 3 ft. in front of the wheels that causes decreased approach angle

D) Sport Chrono = just a wart.

PDK, last I read, had a RPM limit on operation which the GT3 exceeds
Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

PDK, while by many accounts an amazing achievement, goes against everything in the GT3 ethos. The car is about driver involvement more than anything else. If you want a faster car than C2S with a PDK, the new Turbo should be right up your alley.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 130 Posts

PDK, while by many accounts an amazing achievement, goes against everything in the GT3 ethos. The car is about driver involvement more than anything else
While I agree with your comment regarding the GT3 for the street... don't forget that the Porsche 962 prototype racers had PDK... and I'd say those cars were also about driver involvement...

Matt
Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if the lack of PDK in the GT3/RS has more to do with the increased weight and "placement" of that weight, than it has to do with driver involvement.

The drivers posting the great lap times, at PSDS and elsewhere are pretty damned involved, if you ask me!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

PDK, while by many accounts an amazing achievement, goes against everything in the GT3 ethos. The car is about driver involvement more than anything else. If you want a faster car than C2S with a PDK, the new Turbo should be right up your alley.
I dont agree with this at ALL. I have had TWO GT3s so I know of what I speak. GT3 race cars have had
suquential boxes for a awhile. The PDK is billed as a Manual box thats shifts automatically. This has
been on the wall for a long time. If you need any more proof look at what Ferrari has done. There 430 cars are almost all F1 boxes. The GT3 is about getting around the track the fastest. Not going around the track while performing the most physical work of any other car. The PDK was FIRST used on the track WON LeMans in the mid eighties, its ALL about the track. How many manual boxes are in Formula One?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:45 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
So the Ferrari scuderia is not about driver involvement.. hmmm. Dont agree with this statement.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:17 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
While I agree with your comment regarding the GT3 for the street... don't forget that the Porsche 962 prototype racers had PDK... and I'd say those cars were also about driver involvement...

Matt
No. 962s were about winning races. The GT3 is a street car, for people who enjoy the maximum mechanical interaction without worrying about losing .2 seconds per lap. PDK is a brilliant achievement more suited to C2S and TT (as evidenced by Andreas Preuninger rejecting PDK for GT3...I will accept his judgement).

And F1 Ferraris (street legal versions)...are primarily for posers who put 500 miles/year on their pride & joy, for fear of excessive depreciation. The GT3 is for drivers, not investors.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

the 2010 GT3 is not DFI? (in response to the second reply)
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Rijo
So your going to have the GT3 and a new C2S? WOW I wish I could afford that.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Rijo
So your going to have the GT3 and a new C2S? WOW I wish I could afford that.
my C2 is non-S... considering i want a white GT3 i think it would almost be pointless to keep the White C2 PDK.. would be very redundant... which is why the debate is hard.. if they had PDK GT3 i would do the deal right now.. but I'm hesitating because now that I've been driving PDK for months i really don't want to step back into 6speed... (although i would say the porsche 6speed trans is a very easy to drive 6speed... other 6speed can become monotonous over time, but the porsche 6speed you never even think about)

so, to summarize i would trade the 911 in for GT3.. but i do want a second car and I've always wanted a cayenne.. so I'm hoping both the cayenne and Gt3 come PDK in 2010 and that will make my life VERY easy.

side note: its funny how ive become so used to PDK... ive been a 6speed guy my whole life.. never had an automatic and never had a 5speed manual.. i love.. well LOVE 6speed's... they just are very full of life and make you feel one with the car, but on the other side PDK is amazing in everyway and more..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 AM
AJBoston
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had my first PDK car (09 C4S coupe) for about a month now. Man those shifts in sport+ mode are something else! Truly impressive. I'm going to retrofit the new paddle shifter steering wheel if/when available in 2010 but now that I'm used to the PDK "buttons", they aren't that bad.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the 2010 GT3 is not DFI? (in response to the second reply)
Nope.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
No. 962s were about winning races. The GT3 is a street car, for people who enjoy the maximum mechanical interaction without worrying about losing .2 seconds per lap. PDK is a brilliant achievement more suited to C2S and TT (as evidenced by Andreas Preuninger rejecting PDK for GT3...I will accept his judgement).

And F1 Ferraris (street legal versions)...are primarily for posers who put 500 miles/year on their pride & joy, for fear of excessive depreciation. The GT3 is for drivers, not investors.
well, now that we have THE spokesman representing all GT3 drivers, life will be easier.

"maximum mechanical interaction?" where in hell did that come from?

i can understand an intelligent debate on the pros and cons of PDK - in fact I enjoy it - but i would challenge you to be a more thoughtful in your generalizations.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 questions.....