Sponsored by:

997.2 GT3 questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche won LeMans with the 962 in 86 I believe. I have been hearing so much about the PDK since the 80's and I eagerly awaited it. I never thought I would buy one but I really wanted to drive one. Once I drove it I was gobsmacked, it was that good. Its very Formula one in my opinion. Coming in hot to the corner and downshift, blip, blip bilp. Its so much fun. The 6 speed will have its supporters and they will dwindle quietly, and the PDK will the overwhelming choice in the future.Just like Ferrari. Regardless of what you think about Ferrari, they have a small group of hard core track guys and they love the F1 box.
I mean really it will become antiquated and people will wonder why in the hell did they have a MANUAL??!! Like I said before most race cars have sequential boxes which is like a PDK but you push a lever instead of pushing a button. F1 has all automatics. Now Porsche offers the best auto tranny in the world. Better than the F1 box and better than the Mercedes AMG speedshift I had in my AMG. That tranny was the first one I liked (even after driving the F1 Box in a 430) But this one is amazing and so quick!! There is no way I would have bought one if I didnt think it was da bomb. If it didnt give me the same excitment as the GT3 I would not have got it. IN fact, I was going to buy an RS later if the C2S wasnt so good. I had no intentions of buying anything but some sort of GT3, used RS new GT3 or Nes RS. But after that test drive last summer with the C2S, it just stayed in my mind. gnawing at me. Tormenting me, calling my name. So once I figured out the price difference between the 2 there is a lot more CASH difference than performance differences. I though that the PDK is faster than my 993 TT and my 996 GT3. I think its close to the 997 GT3. Then I saw a video where a C2S smoke a 996 TT so it must be almost as fast at the 997.1 GT3.
Rijo I think you should get a C2sS and send it to Sharkwerks or GMG racing and they will be able to be a GT3 killer withoug causing death to your wallet, with the money you save from not buying the GT3.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dunno about maximum mechanical interaction .... I love my RS but I love my PDK 4S and would welcome a GT3 with PDK. I suppose the sequential gear box on the Cup car has more "mechanical interaction" No lift upshifts, like the PDK.

I think there is a more obvious reason. The PDK transmission does not fit on the GT1 derived engine. It was designed to fit the new DFI which uses a different block.

As to notions about PDK being unable to handle the torque, I submit the 2010 Turbo and the Panamera. I guess we will have to wait for the next generation of RS which I suspect will be a 4.0 DFI and I hope a PDK option.

Regards,
More precisely, from the 8/2009 issue of Excellence:

"The other bit of new Porsche technology not considered for the GT3 was the PDK-double clutch gearbox. "Apart from the fact that GT3 drivers want a manual and the GT3's short shifter selects ratios faster than a normal manual, PDK adds 66 pounds to the wrong end of the car," offers Preuninger. "Mechanically, it does not fit the GT1 block anyway; a special flange would have to be made. Beyond that, the PDK box is longer and would create a packaging issue.""
Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
More precisely, from the 8/2009 issue of Excellence:

"The other bit of new Porsche technology not considered for the GT3 was the PDK-double clutch gearbox. "Apart from the fact that GT3 drivers want a manual and the GT3's short shifter selects ratios faster than a normal manual, PDK adds 66 pounds to the wrong end of the car," offers Preuninger. "Mechanically, it does not fit the GT1 block anyway; a special flange would have to be made. Beyond that, the PDK box is longer and would create a packaging issue.""
no GT3 for me then,
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

The PDK will come in the next generation when the 9A1 motor is used (like on the new TT) is implemented.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The PDK will come in the next generation when the 9A1 motor is used (like on the new TT) is implemented.
but isnt the 2010 the next generation i.e 997.2 GT3? considering it has a whole new look? so we'll have to wait for the 998 version GT3 before we get PDK?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I mean really it will become antiquated and people will wonder why in the hell did they have a MANUAL??!!.
Nah, we see the same stuff in high end audio. Remember perfect sound forever when the CD came out? Was going to put the record player/records by way of the dinosaur. Didn't. People still make them, people still buy them, and recently in ever increasing numbers. There will always be the latest and greatest. And there will always be a place for things of quality. The manual wont go away unless it is legislated away...

All that said, I don't get the vociferous prosecution, or defense, of tranny choices in general around here ?? The fact that we all have a "choice" is great news - that it is a debatable proposition is better yet, IMHO. There really should not be a 'this is better than that' in the equation as "better" is subjective at best and each of us is best suited to making that decision for ourselves, I think.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Nah, we see the same stuff in high end audio. Remember perfect sound forever when the CD came out? Was going to put the record player/records by way of the dinosaur. Didn't. People still make them, people still buy them, and recently in ever increasing numbers. There will always be the latest and greatest. And there will always be a place for things of quality. The manual wont go away unless it is legislated away...

All that said, I don't get the vociferous prosecution, or defense, of tranny choices in general around here ?? The fact that we all have a "choice" is great news - that it is a debatable proposition is better yet, IMHO. There really should not be a 'this is better than that' in the equation as "better" is subjective at best and each of us is best suited to making that decision for ourselves, I think.
Amen!
It's like being a little kid again listening to some of the arguments around here these days.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
but isnt the 2010 the next generation i.e 997.2 GT3? considering it has a whole new look? so we'll have to wait for the 998 version GT3 before we get PDK?
No, no, and yes. The 997.2 is a facelift; new bumper caps, wheels, and center console...not a "whole new look".
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No, no, and yes. The 997.2 is a facelift; new bumper caps, wheels, and center console...not a "whole new look".
i was associating it as..

997.1...--->997.2

997.1GT3 would be --->997.2 GT#(diff engine) just like the 997.1 turbo and 997.2Turbo..

dont get why they wouldnt put the new engine in the GT3 but oh well.. im not hans and frans so i dont know why they do a lot of things..
Old 11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think you forgot about DFI and PDK... my 997.2 smokes my 997.1 (X51) in every way, including handling.. and I loved that X51 package, except it didn't have heated seats!!!.

It is a whole new car.. just drive to figure out why!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I think you forgot about DFI and PDK...
Subject is the GT3, and the response was quite clearly to the "whole new look" comment.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 997 forum..Oops!

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 questions.....