Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What MODS would you perform first on your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Sorry Alex, but when anyone claims 12hp with an air intake, they lose credibility in my eyes.... Show me as many dyno graphs as you like....

Now as a sound enhancer, absolutely!! and by the looks alone, which is far better than the POS Fabspeed dreamt up for the GT3, their 997.2 system will definitely do that in spades.

I had an EVO S-flow intake on my 997.1 C2S and for several weeks, before it was drowned out by some 200 cell sport cats, it had a VERY sweet up-tick in the auditory dept. But EVO's claimed 10-12hp??..... BS!!

Edit: thanks Edgy1.... Freudian slip??!!

Last edited by NVRANUF; 10-28-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Question about suspension mods - does Porsche make the x74 option for the 997 like the 996?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Carrera06997S
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, take your time and decide what is really important to you. I have had my car for almost three years now and I have done a few mods along the way. After I had the car about 10 months I added,
HRE Wheels and Fabspeed sport cats and exhaust. I love the sound, it is just right, you know that it is not stock but it is not too loud. Just this month I added the cold air intake and BMC filter, had the chip remapped plus added the Fabspeed headers. All I can say is wow! The sound is a bit more throaty and I noticed a lot more low end torque.

I have thought about doing some tasteful body mods, just not sure which ones. I have talked to some of the locals that do the mods and they say that techart have some of the best quality mods they have installed.

If you are going to track the car I suggest the suspension mods first and get some DE. Your ability to drive the car within its max limits will do more for you on the track than any mod in the beginning.

You also have to ask yourself how long are you going to keep this car. You will never recoup the cost of the mods when you sell it, so keep that in mind. You also do not want to do what a friend of mine did with his C4S. He spent about $20k getting his car supercharged etc... he should have just bought a used turbo or GT3 when it was all said and done.

Bottom line is, it is your car, do what you want and enjoy it. Don't worry what the others think! Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Carrera06997S; 10-29-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with others in this thread. What you learn about your car and your abilities at either an autocross or HPDE will drive the decisions you make about mods. I don't subscribe to appearance mods if they are non-functional. However others do and that's their choice. Follow your own path. Oh, and about not recouping your investment in any mods you make . . . it's all true.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Aside from doing drivers ed which I did down in Birmingham, the mods that I felt were of most value were improving the exhaust sound with Fabspeed headers, cat converters and the wheels. The former added great sound with the PSE, that my dealer absoulutely loved when I traded my car in. The only other mod that did not add performance but added a great look to the car where the Iforged Seneka wheels. Without question I got the most complements with these wheels than anything else I added to the car. As many have said, however, the power these cars possess is awesome. And you would be hard pressed to utilize all 385 HP even on a track. So choose your personalizaions wisely and enjoy a great car that has tremendous value and performance right out of the factory.

Jay
Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Whats really important that he take all this info and do what HE wants with it. Sure there is a decorum on taste but in the end its what Boxster wants to do and what makes him happy. I still contend that if you are going to track then Aero should be up there with suspension mods. Right now I am pretty happy with the way the Porsche suspension works. Its better than my 996 GT3 was. So I would have to have significant skills to tell the difference between say a PSS10 for PASM and the regular Porsche PASM suspension. I CAN tell when at 160 the front end gets light and I $hit my pants. So I believe Aero is not only of appearance value but VERY functional. I wouldnt do over 130 in my S as it sits, with out front and rear spoilers.
But like everyone else says GT3 bits and pieces for your suspension would be of great value.
What I am doing is really trying to get a handle on how this car performs before I go to the Mod
page. Plus my wife said I cant spend any money till after Christmas.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dump the back seat.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

In the 997.2 the rear seat just lift out
Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Whats really important that he take all this info and do what HE wants with it.
Hey, he did title the thread "what mods would you perform first..." Seems fair to tell him.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Tom N
Instructor

[QUOTE=sandwedge;7025683]1. Short shift kit. $199 from Eric at bumper plugs. Why the car isn't fitted with this at the factory I'll never know.

+1

I had the dealer install the Porsche short shift kit prior to delivery. Much better feel than the stock unit, but not as tight as the SS unit on my GT3.

Top of the list of mods that cost $.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Default Multi-quote a meaasge

How do you pick the portion of a prior message to quote ?

I tried above but the code shows.

TIA
Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
rdv
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 101 Posts

Interesting question, and the large number of responses and the variety are helpful. Me? My 2007 997 is finally out of warranty, and I'm about to add H&R sport springs (mostly for aesthetic reasons - it's a DD and not a track toy) and have the chip reprogrammed, and will probably add a cat-back exhaust. That's about it for me. I share the opinion of others that aero kits and other body parts look, well, tacky IMHO. But, hey, to each his own. And yeah, my mods may reduce the resale value of my 997 a bit, and I'll never get the money back, but that's not what this exercise is about, is it? It's how would we personalize our own 997s because that's what we like. So, think carefully, then do what you want and don't worry about resale, etc. If that's what you're worried about, you should probably not drive it (much). Hope this helps.....
Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

How can a MY07 car be out of warranty? My 06 is still in.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:53 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

First mod was the clear lenses at the dealership.

I did HRE C97s, H&R springs / alignment, Tubi exhaust at the same time.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have had some very interesting responses...

However, some are assumptions that really had me laughing. I asked which MODS would you perform first on your 997? I really appreciate the feedback that all of you have provided except that angry guy ABE. LOL (j/k ABE)

No, I can’t really drive this car and it is due to the fact that I haven’t attended enough DE's to have attempted to master the art of driving yet. In that regard, all who suggested that are dead on. It is not my first rodeo in the 993, 996, 986, or 987 arena and I have had them all so I understand that basics.

So my thought this time was to do something I have never done before and change the look of this car so as not to look like all the other cars in town. I am really looking for an exhaust that is not loud all of the time but will respond when I go WOT or close to it. I am not looking to increase the HP as I feel this car has more that I need at this time. I really don’t fall into those claims any as they are usually exaggerated. In addition I thought it would be fun to make a cosmetic change on the outside so the T/A stuff seemed a likely direction.

I am going to move to the short shifter and I really dislike the long throws and it should be a standard feature of the car.

I am seriously looking into trying to make the weekend for the HPDE 11/7 but i can’t confirm yet.

Anyone from Houston going up as I may tag along with them if I do attend?

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Quick Reply: What MODS would you perform first on your 997?