Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 PSM FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 2009 997.2 PSM FAILURE

I am putting this out here in hopes that someone especially with in Porsche (the company) or a high end Porsche tuner can shed some light on this and help.

I had PSM Failure this weekend during a DE at Daytona Intl Speedway. I was not the only 2009 997S that had this problem. This pretty much ruined my entire expensive track day!

This was my 1st time to Daytona and on the 1st day I did not get PSM Failure. However on my 2nd day as I got up to speed I got this failure on each and every run.

I have 8 track days with my 09 997S at Sebring with no issues. I talked with a few people at Daytona this weekend and they believe it is the high banking at Daytona causing this. Weird thing is the 05-08 997 cars are not affected! There was anothe 09 997S that had the same problem. It does not matter if PSM is ON or OFF...I still get the PSM Failure issue.

On my last run I kept my speed on the NASCAR Turns 1-2 and 3-4 (31 degree banking) under 125mph. I went full bore in the infield. I got no PSM failure. As soon as I go up to 130+mph on NASCAR 1-2 or 3-4 (31 degree banks) I get PSM failure.

I am hoping someone from Porsche or any of the tuners out here knows of a solution. I believe the accelerometer that PSM is connected to and the PSM software "thinks" the car is in trouble and overloads and goes into failure mode.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

No clue Mike,...sorry to hear this.
When the car goes into PSM failure mode, does the performance go away like a so called 'limp' mode? Out of curiosity, did the other 09 that had the problem also have PDK?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Yes the other car had PDK. What happens is Sport Chrono Plus features turn off and you can not turn them back on. PDK shifts slower, shocks are not stiff ect. This effects track performance especially with the slower normal PDK shift mode. I pull into the pits and turn the car off nd turn it back on and everything works again but as soon as I hit 130mph PSM Filure comes on again.

I know Porsche preaches PSM and how great it is but it is really a pain in the azz.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mike, do you have Sports PASM or the regular suspension. Interesting problem, I can see this being a software "oops" by engineers who never figured a car would be driven at high G loadings on a banked race track! I wonder what would happen on our local test circuit which features a 4 mile track banked 37 degrees. I ran my boxster S there, you can drive the corners (one mile long) with your hands off the wheel at a measured 273 KPH. It's the goverment test facility, like DOT in the USA. Called PMG if you want to google it
Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know if this helps but, I was driving the pace car at Daytona, a Cayanne V6 and several times while in Nascar 2 and 4 I got the PSM failure light . It would stay on for several seconds and then go out. I did not notice any performance degrade.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Mike, do you have Sports PASM or the regular suspension. Interesting problem, I can see this being a software "oops" by engineers who never figured a car would be driven at high G loadings on a banked race track! I wonder what would happen on our local test circuit which features a 4 mile track banked 37 degrees. I ran my boxster S there, you can drive the corners (one mile long) with your hands off the wheel at a measured 273 KPH. It's the goverment test facility, like DOT in the USA. Called PMG if you want to google it
You are probably right. It's going to be interesting to see how PAG reacts to this.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Make sure you feed this real world experience to your Porsche dealer and make sure they route it to PCNA and on to PAG. As I have learned with Porsche, only until units get out into the field into the hands of regular owners/drivers do they get a chance to discover conditions or scenarios that they never dreamt up! Stay on top of it with the dealership. Ask for periodic status updates.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe this is why GT3 and GT3RS dont have PSM
Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I spoke with and sent an email to my dealer. He said he would look into it.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by nosubt2
Don't know if this helps but, I was driving the pace car at Daytona, a Cayanne V6 and several times while in Nascar 2 and 4 I got the PSM failure light . It would stay on for several seconds and then go out. I did not notice any performance degrade.
I my or the other guys PSM failure light would not go out. The only way to reset the system was to turn the car off and restart it. But as soon as I hit 130 on the banked turns the PSM failure light would come back on and the Sport setting for PDK and PASM would go away.

I was VERY frustrated with this problem this weekend. The Vipers, Corvette, BMW's, Audi R8, Ferrari's and so forth had zero issues like this.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to hear mike, very unfortunate... i know the car has an angle sensor in the car so im guessing its just reading the insane angle and the wheel speeds higher on inside and saying "WTF, PSM PSMPSM FAIL"
Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike, in my post above I incorrectly thought it was a PASM failure. You clearly refer to PSM. Interesting how it would give you a failure in spite of being turned off! I guess the fault monitoring function is always on and fails to understand the steering angle, speed and lateral acceleration data it is seeing since the software never considered steeply banked tracks. Oops!

Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Bob, everyone I have spoken with highly believes it has to do with the PSM gyro's/accellerometer and PSM software thinking the car is in serious trouble and faulting out.

What would really suck is if a guy in a Cabriolet went out to a DE at Daytona and the roll over protection popped up! This this is highly likely to happen I feel Porsche should look into this.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mdrums
Bob, everyone I have spoken with highly believes it has to do with the PSM gyro's/accellerometer and PSM software thinking the car is in serious trouble and faulting out.

What would really suck is if a guy in a Cabriolet went out to a DE at Daytona and the roll over protection popped up! This this is highly likely to happen I feel Porsche should look into this.
Mike, yeah, I think the theory makes sense. It also makes sense that the monitoring function remains "on" in spite of PSM being turned off. I could see liability issues otherwise. I can also imagine that the software guys who engineered the code never considered Daytona and the conflicting data a sharply banked track would produce. I wonder if there will be a patch or whether Porsche will stone-wall the issue. Considering the small number of cars which will be affected, I bet they ignore the problem. Ugh!

Also agree with the cab issue, replacing those pyrotechnic roll bar thingies is no doubt very expensive.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
bbrc76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I was told (voluntarily by my M3 salesperson) that this once happened on an M3 convertible due to crossing train tracks too fast, and that BMW N/A replaced everything at no cost to the customer. Car did not roll, but the pop up roll bars went thru the canvas top.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 PSM FAILURE