Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fight Fight...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a finish to the end in GT2

That was some ending!!! This is what happenes when a challenge is made and someone knows how to drive around it!

Great work from the Flying Lizards and Bergmeister!

Deanski
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Patrick Long/Jörg Bergmeister wins Laguna Seca

The Flying Lizard Motorsports 911 GT3 RSR driven by Patrick Long/Jörg Bergmeister wins Laguna Seca and the 2009 ALMS GT2 championship.

The last 5 laps were a battle royale with the No. 3 Vette which was a total bully. The Vette was coming strong but in my view it has an unfair advantage as it was allowed to race the LS7 7L GT1 engine. OTOH, the Porsche has a mandated 55lb extra weight penalty !?!

This Porsche victory was their 100th Series class victory, a first for any manufacturer!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

That was amazing, it reminded me of the finish to the 2007 12 hours of sebring where J. Melo did the same thing to Jörg Bergmeister on the last lap.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hamotee
That was amazing, it reminded me of the finish to the 2007 12 hours of sebring where J. Melo did the same thing to Jörg Bergmeister on the last lap.
I think it was quite different. At Sebring, Melo was the bully who shoved Bergmeister aside. At Laguna Seca, Magnussen shoved Bergmeister from the rear, unsettled the RSR and Bergmeister defended his position. Quite different, don't you think?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No

tino
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Smile Last lap video...

Laguna Seca Oct 2009 last lap video.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Beatiful !
Old 10-12-2009, 06:05 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I think it was quite different. At Sebring, Melo was the bully who shoved Bergmeister aside. At Laguna Seca, Magnussen shoved Bergmeister from the rear, unsettled the RSR and Bergmeister defended his position. Quite different, don't you think?
Perhaps a bit different but Jorg was clearly in the wrong here. You can block to a certain degree...you can't keep pushing left and run someone into the wall. I am a FL fan (have the tshirt and fleece) but I don't feel good about a win like that.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Perhaps a bit different but Jorg was clearly in the wrong here. You can block to a certain degree...you can't keep pushing left and run someone into the wall. I am a FL fan (have the tshirt and fleece) but I don't feel good about a win like that.
Did you miss the bump the Mag gave Berg?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russo
Did you miss the bump the Mag gave Berg?
Saw them both. Next to last lap and the final lap. When you bump the driver directly in front of you on the rear bumper, it gernally means you're faster than him. Then you as the lead car have the right to block but once the driver that bumped you is on your rear quarter you CANNOT continue to ride him into the wall. Watch the video, that's what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwXugrQXaM
Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Saw them both. Next to last lap and the final lap. When you bump the driver directly in front of you on the rear bumper, it gernally means you're faster than him. Then you as the lead car have the right to block but once the driver that bumped you is on your rear quarter you CANNOT continue to ride him into the wall. Watch the video, that's what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwXugrQXaM
Of course you could be using the bump to slow you down into a corner and not be faster.

That's why it's generally, right?

tino
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soltino
Of course you could be using the bump to slow you down into a corner and not be faster.

That's why it's generally, right?

tino
I say generally because there are some that will brake check when they indeed may still be faster but what to create more space coming out of a turn.

I drive a Porsche and was pulling for the FL team but at the end of the day, I just want to see good hard fair racing. I'm no fanboy of any manufacturer. I love the competition in this series with Corvette now in GT2 and BMW added. I love all the cars in the series.

Just to clarfy an early post --- the Vettes are not driving the Katech 7.1 litre GT1engine in these cars. They are completely different than those that were in GT1. These cars are built by Pratt and Miller and contain the 6 litre engines. They have full dashborads, etc. The car is modeled after the ZR1 production car.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

...Just to clarfy an early post --- the Vettes are not driving the Katech 7.1 litre GT1engine in these cars. They are completely different than those that were in GT1. These cars are built by Pratt and Miller and contain the 6 litre engines. They have full dashborads, etc. The car is modeled after the ZR1 production car.
That is not what I read. My understanding is that in these last 4 races they were allowed to run the GT1 Vette engine with a smaller restrictor. They will run the 6L engine next year.

Quick Reply: ALMS Good...