Sponsored by:

Daily Driver Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
TSW
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver Question

I have always wanted a 911 for as long as I can remember. I am contemplating a 997 as my car, but it must do daily driving duty on a mostly highway commute in Boston year-round. It must occasionally take a baby seath in back. I would run snows in winter, and prefer to go with a standard C2.

I currently drive a 2004 Audi S4, manual. I love this car, even in traffic. I drive with traction control off, and prize the more hard-edged nature of the car over a typical sedan. For me, the more hardcore the car, I think the better.

My question to the forum is, how practical is the 997 C2 as a DD in NE? Do you think I should do it? Am I nuts, etc? And no - I would never contemplate an auto, even a double clutch PDK. The Audi has been bulletproof and maintenance, while expensive, is a pittance compared to Porsche (I know, because I pulled the schedules and compared them last time I was at the dealership). I love the Audi, but obsess about the 911 constantly. Any thoughts from actual drivers are appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TSW
I have always wanted a 911 for as long as I can remember. I am contemplating a 997 as my car, but it must do daily driving duty on a mostly highway commute in Boston year-round. It must occasionally take a baby seath in back. I would run snows in winter, and prefer to go with a standard C2.

I currently drive a 2004 Audi S4, manual. I love this car, even in traffic. I drive with traction control off, and prize the more hard-edged nature of the car over a typical sedan. For me, the more hardcore the car, I think the better.

My question to the forum is, how practical is the 997 C2 as a DD in NE? Do you think I should do it? Am I nuts, etc? And no - I would never contemplate an auto, even a double clutch PDK. The Audi has been bulletproof and maintenance, while expensive, is a pittance compared to Porsche (I know, because I pulled the schedules and compared them last time I was at the dealership). I love the Audi, but obsess about the 911 constantly. Any thoughts from actual drivers are appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
I don't have experience driving in the NE, but can attest to use of the Porsche as a DD here in SoCal. I kept my second car for a while (C55AMG) just to be sure the Porsche would meet my needs as a DD. But it proved to be wonderful as a DD and I sold the C55. I had a C2S Cab for a year, then moved into my current Targa 4S for the last 16 months. My commute is a short 5 mile run down the freeway, so don't know how I'd feel in heavy traffic all the time, at least with a stick.

I don't see the maintenance as a problem. My car hasn't needed a thing for over a year (and 10,000 miles) other than tires. I did my own oil change a while back. The dealer cost of 20,000 mile service can be very high at some dealers (like $800), but it can be accomplished for much less (closer to $250-300), depending on availability of other qualified service shops, and less if you do your own oil change.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Ken on all fronts Mine is a DD as well about 45miles R/T each way such an easy car to drive, that the stop/starts are not a big deal on the commute, and luckiy, I am never in "sitting traffic." that might suck with the stick. Mine is mainly some stretches of road, some lights, some stretches of road, etc. I love it Plus, I figure I am in a car so many miles each day, why not have a fun commute
Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd think the issue with Boston or New England is more the road surface quality. You at least want a car with PASM I'd think, as it works out the rough bits better than non-PASM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:21 PM
TSW
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks guys, the feedback is appreciated. Ken, that is helpful information. Cole328, I feel exactly the same way about making the commute fun. I thought about a sailboat and realized - well, I am stuck in a car for 1.5 hours each day, why not make it a blast?

The road quality is bad, but I would bet the Porsche ride is no worse that the motorboat over chop ride I have in the Audi (which I do not mind, as upside is responsiveness and limited body roll). The problem is blowing tire sidewalls (bubbles). I have had four in the last two years.

I figure, if the S4 is fun tearing down the highway, then a 997 would be even more awesome.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:21 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2007 997S with PASM and manual trans and use it as a daily driver. I bought it in late November 2007 new and it now has 43k miles on it and counting. Our roads rival any state's for the title of worst, but fortunately we don't have enough traffic to get much stop-and-go driving (but there has been some).

I use winter wheels/tires and drive in all conditions except deep snow (which I can't clear) - but on those days so few people go to work that its no big deal, and I just work from home then. Like once or twice a year here.

I often wonder if a turbo or GT3 would be a good choice for a next car, and given this duty (and track use), I'm pretty sure those would be bad choices for me. But the C2S is just fine.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TSW

I used Porsches (Boxster, 996 C2, 997 C2) for daily drivers in Salt Lake City for 10 years. Some mornings the only reason to go to work was the 20 mile drive with the top down in the crisp mountain air. I can't comment on the road surface issue in the NE, but we had plents of snow in SLC. I always ran winter tires and never had any problem what so ever. Maintenance wasn't anymore of an issue with the Porsches than with other cars I have driven as DDs.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

You should ask Coochas. And yes, you definitely need winter tires.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2005 C2S cab, live in Greater Boston, and have chosen to use mine as a DD only from first snow melt (Feb-Mar) until first snow fall. That gives me 8-9 months of driving. I also own an 01 MB E320 4matic (W210) for multiple purposes, including avoiding winter driving stress. I would not consider driving my C2S in winter for a few reasons: I think RWD even with PSM/winter tires can be dicey. I had an Infiniti G35 coupe for 3 years and tried the winter wheel/tire thing only one season, and then sold them and parked it during subsequent winters. Back then I made do with a cheap SUV that did everything the sports car could not. Ground clearance was the biggest problem - you never knew what that would be like at the end of a snowy work day, and I'd rather not have to think about it. And some hills were daunting even with snows on. There's also the bad road conditions, salt, slush, potholes, etc, and other drivers who don't know what they're doing, sliding into you.

You didn't mention how you were going to haul anything bigger than a carry-on bag, or more than one more adult. If you have a wagon or mini-van at your disposal, then you're set. But I also needed that capability for Home Depot runs, driving people to the airport, etc. All in all, the 2-vehicle system allows me the best of both worlds (even to leave the 911 in the garage when it rains). If you can afford a new 911, you can probably also handle a cheap used winter driver that does double duty. And one day you can get a trailer and use the non-Porsche to tow your C2 to the track!

Gene
Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You should ask Coochas. And yes, you definitely need winter tires.
Somebody call me?
Yeah I think a C2 with real snow tires will be just fine year round in Boston.
I personally like the AWD around here and am on my 5th year of using 997s as a DD here,...year round.
The biggest problem I've found is when the snow is deep. If it's soft snow then the front of the car will simply plow through. You don't want to hit those ice boulders. I've never been stuck in the snow with the C4S or TT.
I would recommend a set of cheap rims with your snow tires. The pot holes get enormous at the end of the winter by 911 standards. Last season I bent a winter rim on 93 coming in to Boston and miraculously did not have a blow out.

Your dream is to get a 911? Do it.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to me that in those wintery conditions a C4S might make for a more sensible choice...
Just an opinion as it doesn't snow in SoCa...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I envy anyone who uses their 997 as a daily driver. My situation doesn't really make it feasible.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Many forward facing baby seats will fit in the back, I carry two kids to school 3x week. Their backpacks etc fit in the trunk.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me if I could only have one car then this would be a very tough decision because it would break my heart to see it so dirty/salty, and I don't care for sliding on snow (unintentionally) and being that low to the ground, with that light front end. I would probably own an RS4 or 335xi and save the 911 experience for when it would be the weekend car, or for when I lived somewhere with more clement weather. If you just have to do it then why not get the C4?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
For me if I could only have one car then this would be a very tough decision because it would break my heart to see it so dirty/salty, and I don't care for sliding on snow (unintentionally) and being that low to the ground, with that light front end. I would probably own an RS4 or 335xi and save the 911 experience for when it would be the weekend car, or for when I lived somewhere with more clement weather. If you just have to do it then why not get the C4?
OR
Get a beater to use on those dirty days.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Question