Sponsored by:

Drive-Off Assistant

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Mine starts talking as I shift from 1st into 2nd gear.

"Just remember I will throw up all over the car if you drive too fast."

"Remember the last time you drove this fast with me in the car I almost divorced you."

"By the way they tell me the cops are using laser on Lake Shore Drive and are targeting 10 or over."

"if you drive like this I'm getting out."

Remember we have to pick up toilet paper before you start your Mario impersonation."

Is this what you mean by a drive-off assistant???

ROFLMAO

Thank you. That was a good one. And as you know, I can personally confirm the LSD warning.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

"Remember the last time you drove this fast with me in the car I almost divorced you."

"By the way they tell me the cops are using laser on Lake Shore Drive and are targeting 10 or over."

Remember we have to pick up toilet paper before you start your Mario impersonation."

My wife says..........Are we qualifying again?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,492 Posts

So good!! I can't complain though - my drive off assistant told me to go and look at a Porsche when I was going to buy a M3.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 AM
bolobar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father's 1938 Studebaker had a hill-holder. 3 on the floor.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:25 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

It actually maintains the original brake pressure you had on the pedal for about 2 seconds when all of the conditions mentioned above are met. So, if you don't want it to have such pressure, just have light pressure on the brake pedal (if possible). That might make it less noticeable.

Geoff.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:26 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

It actually maintains the original brake pressure you had on the pedal for about 2 seconds when all of the conditions mentioned above are met. So, if you don't want it to have such pressure, just have light pressure on the brake pedal (if possible). That might make it less noticeable.

Geoff.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:41 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Does a PDK equiped car "hold" the car the same way as Geoff describes?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Default I like it.

As others have said, it takes a bit of getting used to, as there is a bit more resistance to overcome when taking off than I might like. After getting used to it, I find that it is very helpful and second nature to get a smooth takeoff on even steep hills. I have one every morning on the way to the office.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I don't understand is why would you need it? Don't people learn how to do hill starts and 3-point turns on hills? In Britain if you can't do a hill start with stick shift without rolling back you fail your test. It seems like another gizmo - the new 370Z has a widget that will blip the throttle for you on downshifts for cars with stick. Why? Don't people learn how to heel and toe anymore?

And btw. This is my 1501st post on Rennlist, so I'm now entitled to occasional outbursts of Grumpy Old Man Syndrome.

Cheers!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by 997CS4
Does a PDK equiped car "hold" the car the same way as Geoff describes?
Yes.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
purrybonker
Pro

What I don't understand is why would you need it? Don't people learn how to do hill starts and 3-point turns on hills? In Britain if you can't do a hill start with stick shift without rolling back you fail your test. It seems like another gizmo - the new 370Z has a widget that will blip the throttle for you on downshifts for cars with stick. Why? Don't people learn how to heel and toe anymore?

And btw. This is my 1501st post on Rennlist, so I'm now entitled to occasional outbursts of Grumpy Old Man Syndrome.

Cheers!
I'm far from being a GOM; but I agree with the rant. Hill starts are a state-of-the-mind thing.

It's just the fear of failing to perform in an situation where a potential negative consequence exists. That guy behind you always seems sooo close when you're stuck on a hill - doesn't the idiot realize you're driving a stick?

In reality, even on a very steep hill, no extraordinary skills or procedures are necessary to get the car moving forward without meaningful back-slippage.

Bah!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:05 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Cheers!
Excellent point. I could see it on a cheaper "entry-level" car for drivers learning to manage, but...maybe they are concerned more about PDK wear?

I reckon I need to find some slopes and practice. I was over at a friend's house though with a very SHORT and STEEP driveway and I had a hard time getting the car onto it out of the road without feeling that I was going to smash right through his garage doors. Any other car I have owned and driven there, I have never even given it a thought - other than being careful not to scrape the air damn and careful that the doors don't come slamming back on me on the way out of the car. Hill-start was not helping there - or not in a way I felt comfortable with.

There's also a store I shop at with a steep up-slope parking lot exit onto the road at a red light. The light goes green, I hit the gas and I'm "gripped" for a second or two and don't move forward - freaky feeling - annoying - again, probably something I need to get used to.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheers!

Sure, many of us know how to do these things. But its progress.. we don't need to anymore.

Why would anyone need a PDK? Don't they know how to shift for themselves?

Why is there a sync ... doesn't anyone know how to double-clutch?

In the US, drivers licenses are pretty much handed out if you can fill out the form and not run into anything on the driving exam around the block in most of the country. I wish it was as stringent and expensive as in Europe... I'd feel safer on the road... but that will never happen.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've tried it, it works!

Don't have to pull up on the E-brake to drive off!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Hill-hold engaged today on my 997.2 six speed. I'm kind of a purist when it comes to car stuff - but I like it anyway.

Quick Reply: Drive-Off Assistant