Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sorry to beat a dead horse, PADDLES ON PDK....??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sorry to beat a dead horse, PADDLES ON PDK....??

dealer said to me "if you buy an 09/10 PDK today, when the paddles are released PCNA will allow a retrofit of paddles to your car for no charge since will be an either/or option in future....

is this true, or any truth to this... i am looking at an 09 pdk but the only way i would want the car is if i can swap to paddles for an affordable rate when they are released as the current setup does nothing but remind me of the dreaded Tip.

thank you
Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I think that the retrofit is possible, but I doubt it will be free. That sounds typical dealer BS. I think that you can substitute the optional steering wheel if you purchase it, of course (count between $1k-$2k).

BTW... people actually driving 997.2 w/ PDK on a daily basis got used to the paddle and say they make sense - even people used to drive fixed L/R paddles...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

yes the current pieces make sense if your racing and are probably better but i have a giant pet peeve with tiptronic and the way it worked and felt just gets under my skin, and when i drive a current pdk model im just reminded of tip time and time again even if the shifting feels great...

i drove a ferrari california for a short bit when they had the prototype locally, and its the same style transmission but using the paddles (up one side, down the other) just felt much better, hard to explain..

so i guess you could say im a mental case. but it makes sense to me..

i mentioned this hatred of the tip style buttons and the dealer mentioned the retrofit to me and i wanted to see if it were BS or some truth.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

In my experience, any sentence your dealer says that begins "If you buy today..." can be wholly ignored as total BS. If it's accurate, it's only by accident.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
In my experience, any sentence your dealer says that begins "If you buy today..." can be wholly ignored as total BS. If it's accurate, it's only by accident.
hahahaha..
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tip "buttons" work just fine. Only drawback is that they are easy to accidently activate when turning the steering wheel. Has happened to me about 15 - 20 times in the last 4 years. I can live with that.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse.... but you only think you want pedals!

After extensive track experience with the Ferrari and Mercedes pedals, I prefer the Porsche solution. The more you use it, the more you realize the other guys screwed up.

Sort of like Windows (first) versus Apple (later) operating systems... yes this was typed on an APPLE!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone

After extensive track experience with the Ferrari and Mercedes pedals, I prefer the Porsche solution. The more you use it, the more you realize the other guys screwed up.

Sort of like Windows (first) versus Apple (later) operating systems... yes this was typed on an APPLE!
i know i want paddles.. if you want to be reminded of the failures of tip with each drive, you can buy the buttons.. i will take the paddles when they come.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You have got to be kidding me!

I have a Cayenne Turbo, and when I drive the PDK it doesn't evoke any memories of the Tiptronic. More like a 6 speed with a leg brace for harder cornering

You need a few more test drives!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you are right Pogue, I am having a hard time coming out of the AMG. I liked the right paddle up and the left paddle down. (or what ever way it was) HOWEVER going into a corner sometimes the
AMG paddle is not accessible I can see why you want both on both sides.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go to sport and use the lever for a while, that'll make you for get the AMG! Then the buttons are second nature!

Think of out through the windshield as going up in the air (and gears) and coming back through the windshield (landing) as down in gears; and use that "extra" foot as a brace
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone

I agree 100 percent. It took me a week to get used to the PDK system after the F1 on the 430. Once I got used to it, I prefer it to the up down paddles. As Pogue says, after you use PDK for a while it becomes obvious that the other guys got it wrong. The only thing I would change is the shift lever, I'd make it pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift, but even then I got used to thinking "up into third and down into second".
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm sure that the new steering wheel w/ paddles will be retrofittable. I am also sure it won't be free, even if you bought the car the day before the new steering wheel became available. Even the dealer should have known better than to try and float that.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had my fill of paddles (Ferrari, BMW)

current system is far superior in my book.

just try shifting around an apex with paddles.

this is THE BEST, MOST INTUITIVE system i've ever used
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
dealer said to me "if you buy an 09/10 PDK today, when the paddles are released PCNA will allow a retrofit of paddles to your car for no charge since will be an either/or option in future....

is this true, or any truth to this...

thank you
WHY DO SALESPEOPLE BLOW SMOKE, make up stories, etc. to get a sale???

Dealerspeak to the MAX!!!!

Quick Reply: sorry to beat a dead horse, PADDLES ON PDK....??