Sponsored by:

Turbo Wheels on a 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
"bastardized"? "even worse the Boxster"? "disparages"? Get a grip, man.

The Boxster and the Turbo are different cars, built for different purposes which appeal to different drivers. Maybe you cannot see it, but the Boxster is a phenomenal car worthy of the Porsche badge and people who buy Boxsters can put whatever freakin' wheels on them that they want (even an ugly ones like the Turbo wheels) Cars aren't ranked by price tag, nor by horsepower, but by how they suit the needs and desires of the owner.

Porsche's model range is not a linear progression from best to worst. Rather, it's a diverse collection of similar cars each with their own good and bad points and I don't think this sort of snobbery should have a place in the enthusiast community.
Thanks Nugget!! Well said. I love the variety of wheels.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:38 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

As a "poseur" myself I guess I'll chime in. My 997 has the turbo-look wheels. And the aerokit. So am I posing as a turbo or as a GT3? I've even put the black front lip on the front because I know I'll scrape the hell outta the painted part that comes from the factory, so I guess I'm a "triple poseur" now?

Look, I'm not trying to disguise my car as something it's not. I'm not hiding the fact I have a "lowly" C2S. No badge delete. I don't tell anyone it's a turbo GT3. I haven't paid some moron a huge amount of money to put fake vents around my real wheels to fool anyone. I just like how my car looks and I've used factory options to do it. You may not like the look of the turbo wheels -- I do. I like them more than the lobster forks on my Boxster. As much as I admire the performance of my cars, how they look does have some value to me even thought I couldn't give a rat's *** how other people think of my cars. We've all seen pictures of insanely red or orange Porsches inside and out that none of us would buy for ourselves, but I don't begrudge their owners one bit if they like the car.

To my mind, the only poseurs are those folks who go beyond the factory options to disguise what they bought and try to pass it off as something it isn't.

Are people poseurs for buying widebody 993s? If I recall recall correctly, Porsche sold quite a lot of those (compared to 993 turbos) here in the US.

Where exactly do we draw the line?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
you "bastardizer"

LOL

craig

For the record, there is a 996 guy either here or on 6speed that did an entire Turbo look conversion on his 996 NB, even going so far as to have the bodyshop cut holes in the side and fit turbo air intakes that serve no purpose. I would understand some calling that "poseur". However, putting factory optioned wheels on a car? Get a grip.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 AM
kenarm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all in the eye of the beholder, I personally think the OEM Turbo wheels look great on any car. Of all the 997's pictured on this forum and others I think that a silver car with black wheels with the silver outer band look stunning.

For others I can understand that when they see their GT3 spoiler or orange paint they get the same buzz.

If it wasn't for all these guys trying different ideas then how would we get the opportunity to decide what we favour ourselves.

I say to all the posers "keep posing" and to those too shy to pose "come out of the closet and start posing".

What are you waiting for....get on with it ...!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 AM
kenarm
Intermediate

Its all in the eye of the beholder, I personally think the OEM Turbo wheels look great on any car. Of all the 997's pictured on this forum and others I think that a silver car with black wheels with the silver outer band look stunning.

For others I can understand that when they see their GT3 spoiler or orange paint they get the same buzz.

If it wasn't for all these guys trying different ideas then how would we get the opportunity to decide what we favour ourselves.

I say to all the posers "keep posing" and to those too shy to pose "come out of the closet and start posing".

What are you waiting for....get on with it ...!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not really sure what my car is anymore. Four months after I bought it in May 2006, it was taken apart,(spent 10 months apart), chasis parts sent out to be remade in titanium, and magnesium, suspension redone, steering wheel, seats, shifter, interior parts all changed out. Then exhaust, flywheel, LSd, and a supercharger, and with body parts changed. It has parts from a GT3, a TT, and custom made parts in it. It has no warranty, have never been serviced by a Porache dealer, but they love it when I bring it over when they have an event. It cost more to build than the car cost new, and really only of any value to me. But it is my 39th and last Porsche and after 31 years of owning these cars, it is my favorite one. Do what you want to your car, if you like it, that is all that counts. I still look at new things to do to this car, ener while I am working on the Gallardo (which has been converted to RWD), which I bought as my next project car. Have fun while you can.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
kenarm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I'm not really sure what my car is anymore. Four months after I bought it in May 2006, it was taken apart,(spent 10 months apart), chasis parts sent out to be remade in titanium, and magnesium, suspension redone, steering wheel, seats, shifter, interior parts all changed out. Then exhaust, flywheel, LSd, and a supercharger, and with body parts changed. It has parts from a GT3, a TT, and custom made parts in it. It has no warranty, have never been serviced by a Porache dealer, but they love it when I bring it over when they have an event. It cost more to build than the car cost new, and really only of any value to me. But it is my 39th and last Porsche and after 31 years of owning these cars, it is my favorite one. Do what you want to your car, if you like it, that is all that counts. I still look at new things to do to this car, ener while I am working on the Gallardo (which has been converted to RWD), which I bought as my next project car. Have fun while you can.
Fantastic.....I very nearly booked a flight out to visit you for a viewing !!!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Carnut

Why is this your "last one?"
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I am in my 50's have other cars, and I hate to admit it but, I do not have the skills I once had. Besides, I got married late in life a my twins will be 5 (Aug 1st Jerry Garcia's Birthday), and I do not have as much free time as I used to. I should never say never, might add the new sedan when wife get tired of her 7 series. I guess the point I was trying to make is, do what makes you feel good about your car. Chances are I was driving these cars when a lot of you were playing with your GI Joes, and I loved them then, and I still do, and I never left any of them stock. Have fun, enjoy the ride
The following users liked this post:
JAB_997 (11-03-2021)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
thewildside
6th Gear

Were all posers anyway. We have 911's if you like the look do it. If you dont then leave it. As long as you dont badge it as a turbo who cares. I have a turbo spoiler on my carrera because to me the 911 should have a fixed wing just like the old whale tales. So ignore the other posers and do what makes you happy
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I think they look good on the Turbo, but they only belong on a Turbo, and agree that only a "poser" would put them on a Carrera.
delete...ancient thread

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 05-16-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: it's ancient
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Gruson
Instructor

No problems here with it. Turbo and Turbo II wheels look the best IMO. On any 911!!!

I love the aero kits too.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Chaycek
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gruson
No problems here with it. Turbo and Turbo II wheels look the best IMO. On any 911!!!

I love the aero kits too.

Agreed!
I have turbo wheels on my carrera and love it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't like the turbo wheels, even on a turbo. But to each his own. Probably look okay on a solid color car like speed yellow.

But, the turbo wheels are forged and lighter. Right? A plus.

Best looking oem wheel is the carrera sport IMHO. HREs are as brilliant as they are expensive. My current favorites are the stock wheels on the 991. I'd love those on my car but they probably don't fit without issues. I'll have to buy a 991 and get those wheels.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I think they look good on the Turbo, but they only belong on a Turbo, and agree that only a "poser" would put them on a Carrera.
Came stock on my poser C4
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Turbo Wheels on a 997 S