Sponsored by:

Turbo Wheels on a 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I'm not as concerned about the design being bad for some or good for others. The new 997 2007 Turbo had it's unique wheel, and for Porsche to put it on a 997 Carrera, and even worse the Boxster disparages the Turbo and Porsche. Maybe some of you cannot see it, but having owned a 997 Turbo, it looks really stupid to see 997 Turbo wheel being bastardized.
"bastardized"? "even worse the Boxster"? "disparages"? Get a grip, man.

The Boxster and the Turbo are different cars, built for different purposes which appeal to different drivers. Maybe you cannot see it, but the Boxster is a phenomenal car worthy of the Porsche badge and people who buy Boxsters can put whatever freakin' wheels on them that they want (even an ugly ones like the Turbo wheels) Cars aren't ranked by price tag, nor by horsepower, but by how they suit the needs and desires of the owner.

Porsche's model range is not a linear progression from best to worst. Rather, it's a diverse collection of similar cars each with their own good and bad points and I don't think this sort of snobbery should have a place in the enthusiast community.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by todd.
I'm not as concerned about the design being bad for some or good for others. The new 997 2007 Turbo had it's unique wheel, and for Porsche to put it on a 997 Carrera, and even worse the Boxster disparages the Turbo and Porsche.

Maybe some of you cannot see it, but having owned a 997 Turbo, it looks really stupid to see 997 Turbo wheel being bastardized.

I guess I could say the same thing about my 996 turbo. Porsche started putting a look alike front end on every car they could. I couldn't tell a turbo from a C2 or C4 until they passed by. What about the aero kits, are they GT3 wanna be's or just people that like the look? I think very pure cars are a thing of the past with Porsche. Porsche has been offering a turbo wheel look alike for many years. The dollar makes the decisions now.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by kenarm
These are the wheels that are on the Turbo that are attracting my attention. They are Techart 20" black with silver rim. They look and fit the Turbo perfectly...how will they look on a C2 S in GT Silver (currently on Carrera Classics)...???
I understand these are VERY heavy wheels.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Dan, your car really is good looking.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 AM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go and try to bastardize my sweet sounding and NA C2S with those ugly turbo wheels :^) IMO, the sports, sport designs and classics are all better looking wheels. To each his own.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These Turbo wheels came with the car. I love them.

I like how the asymetric lines on the wheel echoe the targa's silver roof strip.

Also, the painted grey inner part of the wheels match the car's meteor grey paint. Works for me.

Oh, (OT) switched to the clear side markers today to see what that looks like. Not sure I like it. Miss the extra punch of the orange. Wish it is DOT legal to have red side markers.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 AM
kenarm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I understand these are VERY heavy wheels.
Really, I never considered that issue......

Are the implications handling related or speed/acceleration related ?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 AM
kenarm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gr8330
I guess I could say the same thing about my 996 turbo. Porsche started putting a look alike front end on every car they could. I couldn't tell a turbo from a C2 or C4 until they passed by. What about the aero kits, are they GT3 wanna be's or just people that like the look? I think very pure cars are a thing of the past with Porsche. Porsche has been offering a turbo wheel look alike for many years. The dollar makes the decisions now.
Porsche want and need to sell cars. Owners, like myself, like nothing better to be tinkering about with them. But I am limited to what I can tinker about with. The engine is fine and I couldn't do anything with it anyway and have no track to use more "engine". To change the audio (something I used to do many years ago) is pointless as the OEM is so well integrated (colour and style).

This leaves, in my opinion, wheels, fenders, decals and spoilers. All of which I reckon I could tinker with. However...

Decals and spoilers dont really do it for me.

Fenders dont pass the cost/benefit struggle for me.

Wheels can so change the look of the car and can be easily sold/swapped to continue the tinkering.

So if anybody has any other tinkering ideas (apart from detailing which I am getting bored with) lets hear it !!!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kenarm
Are the implications handling related or speed/acceleration related ?
Both, in spades - and a large helping of ride comfort loss as well. Aside from your flywheel, the weight of your wheels is the singlemost important place where shedding weight can improve a car's handling and performance. Wheels are on the wrong side of the suspension (unsprung weight) and they spin -- both factors exacerbate the impact of their weight on how the car drives.

Heavier wheels take more torque to spin which robs you of acceleration. Accordingly, they also require more braking force to stop. Heavier wheels carry more inertia which makes it more likely for the tire to lose grip when the wheel is pushed up by a bump in the road. With heavier wheels you'll notice more shudder and hop on bad surfaces.

There's a reason they don't make light weight gyroscopes. The exact same physics apply to your wheels.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jyslou
These Turbo wheels came with the car. I love them.

Oh, (OT) switched to the clear side markers today to see what that looks like. Not sure I like it. Miss the extra punch of the orange. Wish it is DOT legal to have red side markers.
I usually don't care for those wheels, but on your car they are excellent - a great looking car. And on that color, clear side markers are working better for me. I like the amber on some cars (mine ), but on silver, grey, white...clear looks really good. Beautiful car you have there - I love it.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM
MartyB
Racer

jyslou, I agree with Steve - your car looks great. I was mostly being facetious with my comments about turbo wheels.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

You car does look good with those wheels.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

I love these self appointed arbiters of good taste!

They look great on your car JYSLOU!

I just hope the other guy doesn't see them because he will then anoint you as a poseur!

I love seeing everyone's different ideas on specing their cars, there is no right way or wrong way, just your way!

I am the world's greatest expert on ME!!!! and nothing else.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

I have to agree with you. You will see why after I get a good pic of my car and change my avatar

Edit: I'll use this avatar until I get better pics.

Last edited by gr8330; 07-14-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by MartyB
jyslou, I agree with Steve - your car looks great. I was mostly being facetious with my comments about turbo wheels.
Thanks MartyB. I wasn't reacting to your (nor any one else's) comment per se. Though I did enjoyed the facetious nature of yours. I'm just putting in my 2 cents about the look of the Turbo wheels on my car. Everyone has their own "right" opinion about what they like. As Stubenhocker so aptly writes: "I'm the world's greatest expert on ME!!!! and nothing else." Bravo.

And thank you to all for your positive comments on my car.

To the OP, I hope you best of luck in figuring it out. What ever you do will be right for you.

J

Quick Reply: Turbo Wheels on a 997 S