Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help now with Dension ipod install please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:30 PM
rscholl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help now with Dension ipod install please!

I'm trying to install it as I write this and I haven't gotten very far. I have an 08 TT with the factory CDC. I removed the plastic trim covers for the CDC and Nav unit. I removed one of the 10 mm nuts for the CDC bracket. The other is tucked way in the corner near the amp underneath 2 layers of the carpeted siding. I can't quite get enough clearance to get my hand and a wrench in there.

Do I have to remove the main plastic cover in the trunk, the one covering the brake fluid reservoir, so I can pull put the carpet further to access the nut? It doesn't look like removing the amp is desirable.

If so, how do I remove that little rectangular center plastic piece with the horizontal bar mounted on the back of the trunk wall (firewall side)? I don't even know what it's for, and it's somehow mounted to sheet metal behind it. It needs to come out in order for the main panel to come out.

Everyone says the install is so simple, so am I missing something obviously easy? Someone had told me that there's only 1 nut for the CDC bracket, but mine definitely has the two.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure what the pieces are that you're referring to - I have a C2S with Nav and CDC and installed in the front trunk. I tapped into the electrical on the passenger's side that feeds the CDC (IIRC) and the optical going into per the instructions and a post somewhere in these forums. I did remove the plastic trim pieces (held in by phillips screws I think) to get easier access to everything.
I later did an install on another P-car and put the Dension in the cabin, behind the console. This was MUCH easier and of course the iPod is more accessible. Again some instructions are on-line somewhere - basically I removed the passenger side console trim, tapped the electrical going to the cigarette lighter, then pulled out the head unit (a pain the first time but really pretty easy - just a turn of the locking bits (hex keys IIRC) and out it slides - once the two side trim pieces are out). Tapped the optical going into the back, buttoned it all up and away we go. The Dension in this case sits toward the front of the car in that console area so I can access it to do the updates. The switch is looped into the glove box and the iPod connector is snaked and tucked around into the cubby in front of the gear shift. No drilling or fiddling.

Sorry I can't guide you more - search for the install threads as they have pics that may help you more.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
rscholl
Rennlist Member

I've searched this board and 6speed and looked at tons of pics and threads. No one talks about removing the CDC unit itself to access the cables. But how else can it be done? The cables to the CDC are completely hidden from view between the CDC unit and the floor. So it seems that the CDC has to come loose and out, right? Am I missing something here? People keep telling me that it's not as complicated as I make it, but the cables are not just hanging in plain sight. Totally hidden.

And to remove the main plastic cover in the trunk area, the one in front of the battery cover, there are torx screws and there's a small plastic piece with a horizontal bar attached to the face of the back trunk wall. It's on the same wall and next to the nav unit. It's attached to metal behind the trim and needs to somehow come off in order for the panel to come off. Maybe I don't even need to remove the large plastic panel.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest contacting Eric at Bumperplugs.com
He is the resident Dension expert on Rennlist.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
rscholl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I am not sure what the pieces are that you're referring to - I have a C2S with Nav and CDC and installed in the front trunk. I tapped into the electrical on the passenger's side that feeds the CDC (IIRC) and the optical going into per the instructions and a post somewhere in these forums. I did remove the plastic trim pieces (held in by phillips screws I think) to get easier access to everything.
I later did an install on another P-car and put the Dension in the cabin, behind the console. This was MUCH easier and of course the iPod is more accessible. Again some instructions are on-line somewhere - basically I removed the passenger side console trim, tapped the electrical going to the cigarette lighter, then pulled out the head unit (a pain the first time but really pretty easy - just a turn of the locking bits (hex keys IIRC) and out it slides - once the two side trim pieces are out). Tapped the optical going into the back, buttoned it all up and away we go. The Dension in this case sits toward the front of the car in that console area so I can access it to do the updates. The switch is looped into the glove box and the iPod connector is snaked and tucked around into the cubby in front of the gear shift. No drilling or fiddling.

Sorry I can't guide you more - search for the install threads as they have pics that may help you more.
But where is your CDC mounted? It's in front of the firewall area on the driver's side mounted horizontally, right? Or is it mounted vertically against the passenger side trunk wall next to the trunk release lever like mine?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

It's been a long time since I installed mine--more than 2 years ago. But going from memory, removing the trunk trim, including the center section that houses the cd changer was not difficult. There are a series of screws across the top of the trim--they sit between the battery box and the hinged box that holds the cd changer--plus one each on the corners. Be sure to put a rag over the vent louvers on the driver's side so you don't drop the screw down there.

Push the rubber seal back and you'll see the screws.

The plastic side pieces that sit in the channel between the fenders and the trunk seal are held in by velcro--lift them gentle up with you fingers and get your fingers between the velcro so you don't accidentally pull the velco loose from the paint. Remove those pieces first.

Remove all the screws meantioned above, and grasp the plastic center piece and pull toward the bumper, up and out. It should come out no issue.

As for tapping nto the Most loop, I don't have the cd changer so I tapped into mine behind the master cylinder on the driver's side corner of the trunk. When you see that open plug, the way you get it out of the bracket is to push the bracket from behind, from inside the battery box. Once you get the bracket off the car, it's pretty easy to separate the plug from the fiber leads--you have to push out the little blue "T" tab similar to what you see in the Dension Gateway parts bag. Not difficult at all.

It really isn't that hard to do, if you're doing a trunk install.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rscholl
But where is your CDC mounted? It's in front of the firewall area on the driver's side mounted horizontally, right? Or is it mounted vertically against the passenger side trunk wall next to the trunk release lever like mine?
I am not sure - I have one unit vertical which I think is the dvd nav unit, and another horizontal which I think is the cdc. Or its the other way around? Obviously I have never used the cdc or I would know this. The wires for the cdc (or Nav, whichever it is that is horizontal) are against the passenger side kinda tucked in IIRC. The fiber is in the back IIRC and I think I just loosened the mounts for the cdc to make access easier.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, the CD Changer and Nav unit in AWD cars is mounted in the trunk area, not under the plastic covers like on RWD cars. I'm considering the same install in my T4S, but don't have a CD changer to contend with (but will need to have dealer activate the Dension as an additional device on the MOST since the system didn't have a changer). I may need to PM you for some additional info since much of what you're doing is the same as what I plan to do.

Quick Reply: Help now with Dension ipod install please!