Sponsored by:

Dang it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:37 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dang it!!!

I got my first rock chip today! Uggghhhhhh. I've had the car for all of 5 weeks. It can't even happen on the clear bra, just above it. My luck and I think it dinged the bra, too or it maybe just a bug. Just venting....

so, I guess I'll have to get the paint touch up stuff. can anyone recommend the best and easiest to apply?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:58 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I guess you have a partial hood bra? Me, too...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, with the usual disclaimer that YMMV, I have had some success on paint chips with the Lanka system. At least in no case does it make anything worse. You use your touch-up paint, let it dry for a specific range of hours, then remove the excess with their product.

I have had the best luck on larger chips. Not a big advantage on scratches.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my first two about three weeks ago
I know they won't be the last.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mstams
Sorry to hear this. I guess you have a partial hood bra? Me, too...
yes, partial hood. i told Stoppie I wanted the full hood...oh well, it was going to happen sooner or later. i'll just leave it for now!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Don't give it a second thought. In a year you will be shocked at the number of chips in your hood. the only advice I can give to you is to routinely back off more from the cars you're trailing. You will find that helps. you have plenty of power to pass,--what's another 10-15 yards. But, you can't do anything about the stuff that gets thrown up from passing cars,--just go with it. I recommend touching up these cars simply to minimize corrosion. Don't ever imagine that you can eliminate the chip's appearance. Move on!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

vexed...I hear ya!

Jon, thanks for the info. I guess I'll leave it right now. It could be worse and have no clear bra. I do understand that the ventureshield I have is guaranteed for the life of the car, so that's peace of mind. At least, it's not a ding! I couldn't handle that. Now, I am thinking about mods....first mod, the clears, then maybe HRE 40's or just adding colored crest on my Carrera classics. any advice?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vexed
I got my first two about three weeks ago
I know they won't be the last.
Originally Posted by Edgy01
Don't give it a second thought. In a year you will be shocked at the number of chips in your hood. the only advice I can give to you is to routinely back off more from the cars you're trailing. You will find that helps. you have plenty of power to pass,--what's another 10-15 yards. But, you can't do anything about the stuff that gets thrown up from passing cars,--just go with it. I recommend touching up these cars simply to minimize corrosion. Don't ever imagine that you can eliminate the chip's appearance. Move on!
thanks Edgy! I am over it for now. It was the 'first' one! I have come to know that Porsche's chip easily. I did not have a bra on 02 Boxster and it had minmal chips after 3 years, nor did I have it on my 997.1. My Boxster S had the bra and I didn't note any, except above the bra! I think the chip came from the interstate. I definately back off the trucks hauling stuff, but pass them as soon as I can. I think it came from a guy who swerved onto the side of the road for some unknown reason(probably talking on his cell phone). I will checkout the Lanka website.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

a) welcome to the club, b) move on, this is the first of like 15-20 that you will get if you actually drive the car., and c) stand back like 10 feet and then look...you can't even see it, can you? now, imagine you are driving 80 down the freeway, LOVING the way the car looks and handles....did you even notice the rock chip? wait until you have 15-20 and then have the hood sprayed if it really bugs you until then, enjoy the ride dude. Due to the low sloping hood, you are going to get a lot of these....don[t let them bother you!!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

I've had pretty good luck w/Dr ColorChip
Old 07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

cole and dean...thanks...the chip doesn't make me not want to drive the car!!!! i guess she lost her 'virginity'! lol
Old 07-12-2009, 11:17 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice....you busted her cherry....now, go show her some some love, and row those gears!! ha
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Nice....you busted her cherry....now, go show her some some love, and row those gears!! ha
It's just like your first dock ding on a brand new boat. Before you
know it, you'll have a couple more bruises and you won't even
notice them. Just keep in as clean as possible and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch - that's gotta hurt. Bummer.

I got the full film on my car's front - hood, fenders, lights, air dam, mirrors. Too many black cars in my past and with the low raked hood on the 911, I figured the whole thing was fair game for flying debris.

Of course, at close inspection, the film is not perfect either - so a trade off.

I tell myself it is just a car, but really, can anyone swallow that?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
vexed...I hear ya!

Jon, thanks for the info. I guess I'll leave it right now. It could be worse and have no clear bra. I do understand that the ventureshield I have is guaranteed for the life of the car, so that's peace of mind. At least, it's not a ding! I couldn't handle that. Now, I am thinking about mods....first mod, the clears, then maybe HRE 40's or just adding colored crest on my Carrera classics. any advice?
Sorry to hear about the chip. The original owner had the full hood done (he said not because of the additional protection but because he didn't like the line).

In terms of your mod thoughts, here's my car with clears and HRE P40's to give you an idea.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Dang it!!!