But if you did, she'd be a keeper
If she knew how to do a timing belt she would be a keeper
The following users liked this post:
FlatHat (09-02-2020)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
skizot
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such an interesting post. I bought the car for me. I could really care less what others thinks. I have owned the car for about two months now and the wife has not even taken a ride in it. She hates it that much. She not made one complimentary comment about the car since I purchased it and ultimately could care less about the car. That leaves me to friends, family and acquaintances. Everyone that has seen the car has had nothing but compliments for it. Including female co-workers, friends and new people I meet.

I have been asked more times then any car I have owned before to be "given a ride."

At the end of the day, I purchased the car for me and no one else. Even if everyone that came along hated the car, even as much as my wife does, I would not really give a ****.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:21 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I have found my car to be more of a guy magnet
Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
Such an interesting post. I bought the car for me. I could really care less what others thinks. I have owned the car for about two months now and the wife has not even taken a ride in it. She hates it that much. She not made one complimentary comment about the car since I purchased it and ultimately could care less about the car. That leaves me to friends, family and acquaintances. Everyone that has seen the car has had nothing but compliments for it. Including female co-workers, friends and new people I meet.

I have been asked more times then any car I have owned before to be "given a ride."

At the end of the day, I purchased the car for me and no one else. Even if everyone that came along hated the car, even as much as my wife does, I would not really give a ****.
I think that you can tell quite a bit about why you bought the car based on how and where you drive it.

On my drive home every day, I have a choice between a relatively straight road with lots of other cars and people, or a curvy hilly road through the country where I am not likely to see any other people.

I take the empty road curves every time. Nobody sees me in a Porsche, but I don't care. I didn't buy it to be seen driving a Porsche.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife couldn't care less, however my girlfriend .....
J/K
Wifey moans and groans about how expensive it was. But in the end she has learned to appreciate the qualities of ownership
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
I have found my car to be more of a guy magnet
In particular very young guys. It would be a good car for a priest.

(sorry. it's friday.)
Old 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think that you can tell quite a bit about why you bought the car based on how and where you drive it.

On my drive home every day, I have a choice between a relatively straight road with lots of other cars and people, or a curvy hilly road through the country where I am not likely to see any other people.
If only Northern Indiana were on my way home......here you get a choice of "road with lots of traffic and a wreck clogging up the works" or "road with lots of traffic and some construction clogging up the works" - worse case scenario though - at least you're riding in a Porsche - preferably with Bose and some good DVDAs to bide your time.

I hit the home depot or REI after rush hour for a fun drive - yeah, I need to find some better places to go (preferably somewhere with a zillion shallow girls that look like THPorsche's avatar). I think PCA has a decent rally coming up.

I am so glad my wife is not a PITA about my car...or anything else for that matter.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Ha! started funny anyways! Wife or Car?

My wife and kids love the car and love a ride in it anyday. My wife just accepts my illness.
LOL..it was almost the ultimatum she gave me. My kids on the other hand love the "Porschee". My wife is tolerating it now, she has known me now for almost 18 years. We have been married for 12..she knew I was "Otaki-San" Japanese for obsessive, regarding cars.

Main issue is I am in Real Estate and income has obviously dropped off and she had to go back to work..I am sure this is a big part of the angst.

She actually has taken rides in it now and she does admire how beautiful it is, but just think its so flashy. Not to mention on how loud the exhaust is now with the X51 headers, AWE cats and Borlas.

Dave
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skizot

Dude, your wife and my wife must be on a speed dial or something. I read your post and I thought it was mine.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

My wife liked driving our "weekend" 993 cab so much, that she "insisted" her new car would be a new 997 (which, of course, she got). She is definately a keeper--and even points out 997's and other p-cars on the road.

She does think it is a little weird how a few guys have come up to her at the gas station or grocery store and want to talk about the car....she really loves the 997, just not sure about being a member of the pcar "club" when everyone random strangers stop her and want to talk about the car......
Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

My wife likes our new '09 more than any other car I have had (I have had a bunch in the past 4 years). She hated my V8 Vantage (was too low for her, and ride was very rough compared to the 997.2) and the 997.2 is a pleasure for her in comparison. It is nice not to hear any complaining since we got the 997, and she doesn't object when I suggest we take the 997 out for dinner or a movie...with the other cars, she always wanted to take her Cayenne GTS...so at least we get to actually drive this car!
And she also likes the attention she gets when she drives the 911...
Old 07-10-2009, 02:21 PM
johnwb
Racer

As I sit here I'm waiting for Interstate Lines to deliver my new (2005) 997 S. I'm very curious to see what reactions people will have to the 997. I just sold a 1972 911S. The reactions to that car were always positive.

I'm expecting a different response to the 997 since it's new and fancy rather than old and classic. At the end of the day I don't care what people think. I bought it for me, and my wife can't wait to ride in it.

She's a gem. She likes good beer, football, cars and looks great!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
9elf S
Instructor

My father in-law has owned a Porsche repair shop for 35+ years. I would be divorced if I didn't own a Porsche. Tough life...I know.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

My wife has put up with my "car illness" for 35 years. Its part. of my "charm".

When I told her I wanted to "Simplify my life" and sell the 308 and M-3 and buy a new Porsche 997s she said 2 things...as along as you think we can afford it and promise me you will DRIVE IT and not make it a garage queen, then go ahead and do it.

Since I am a slow starter, it took me 2 days to come home with the 997S. She was walking the dogs and came back to the house as it was sitting in the driveway for its first phto ops. She said...WOW..THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR. Since then., I think she has been in it 6 times.

The other day, her car was in for service so she had to drive my MINI. She said---the weather forecast is not good for tomorrow...how are you going to get to work ? I answered...Drive the Porsche, it won't melt...She just looked at me and said...60 years old and now you have finally growing up...impressive.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife's fav car I had was my e39 M5 (at Greer she did better on the track than a lot of guys - and me too ). In general, at the time, no one else outside of owners seemed to even know what an M5 was or notice it - great car, very stealth.

Quick Reply: What Women Think Of Your P-Car??