Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pet Peeves of my 997... maybe someone can help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 130 Posts

I also get annoyed that the passenger side window is auto down but only quasi auto up? Again, why?
It may be a safety issue and it also drives me crazy but Porsche has NO such constraint on my 987 Boxster! It goes right up with one touch -

Matt
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
Well, I kinda sympathise/understand with Porsche on this one; it is, apparently, a safety issue. They are concerned about little children hanging out the window and pressing the 'up' button with dire consequences.

One final gripe; have you ever had to contort yourself in order to properly clean the inside of the rear window? Not a design fault, in truth, but a serious pain (literally and figuratively).
to clear rear, i just put in service mode and clean from outside of car... then again i have a cab
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

One final gripe; have you ever had to contort yourself in order to properly clean the inside of the rear window? Not a design fault, in truth, but a serious pain (literally and figuratively).
Got a great little tool off Amazon for this - http://www.invisibleglass.com/ReachClean.htm - works like a champ.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is something else which I find annoying; in 3rd gear, when the revs get just over 3500, the car goes SO FAST.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is something else which I find annoying; in 3rd gear, when the revs get just over 3500, the car goes SO FAST.
Yeah, I hate when that happens.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seatbelt chime is extremely annoying. There should be a way to shut it off (How can it be removed? If you know how, please PM me). The red icon on the upper tach for unbuckled seat belt is enough. The lower display at bottom of the tach should not be disturbed, it blanks out other info. Bad design.

I always buckle up to drive, but the disturbance when starting and stopping the car at a standstill without setting the seatbelts, is a constant, user-hostile feature.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Ha - I thought it was only me. I'm "testing" key chains now. "No key chain" may be one of the better solutions. I got one of those "911" with a short blue wrist strap to try - cloth strap connects to the key, so no rattle except for the key chain itself, but I think I have stopped that with some rubber.

Where to put the key when not using it... If they make these keys any larger I'll need to get the roof rack system installed to mount the key to.
hysterical! again, i was sure i was the only one. on my home from picking up the car, i was wondering why the hell my keys were jangling so goddamn much when it never happened in my 997.1. that stupid metal frame...damn you!!! now, i literally have my 997.2 key separated from the rest of my keys. forces me to remember to take both my "keys" and my 997.2 key. one benefit of this, however, is that i now don't take the rest of my keys with me when i don't need them...less crap in my pocket. it's also a good testament to how free of squeaks and rattles the car is.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I have trouble getting down to 3500 in 3rd. You're not shifting fast enough out of second or your not running 2nd long enough.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I kinda sympathise/understand with Porsche on this one; it is, apparently, a safety issue. They are concerned about little children hanging out the window and pressing the 'up' button with dire consequences.
I'm not buying that.

Plenty of other manufacturers have offered auto up and down windows at all four doors for some time. Moreover, "pinch" technology has existed on windows and sunroofs for at least 20 years to preclude anyone getting an appendage or their head stuck.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

At least the HVAC stays off unlike most BMWs where it comes on when you start the car even if you had it off at shutdown, except for a short period of time.

I have not found a solution for the 997.2 key either so for now it is unattached.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Verde
Advanced

To the OP, I'd suggest Rain-X as a coating on the moving windows. It is a bit of a lubricant and just might stop the squeaking.
My peeve would be classified as the 'lazy seat belt retractor syndrome' (LSBRS). At least 1/2 the time, the clip just lays on the ledge, unretracted. I have to give it some help for it to be reeled back in. Same problem all the way back in my 914. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

The window can't be a "safety issue." Can it? It's not consistent through the models.
One touch completely closes the passenger window on the Boxster and the Cayenne, but one touch will elevate the right window on the Carrera only IF its already half up.
If there's logic there, I'm missing it.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:22 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MichaelL
The seatbelt chime is extremely annoying. There should be a way to shut it off (How can it be removed? If you know how, please PM me). The red icon on the upper tach for unbuckled seat belt is enough. The lower display at bottom of the tach should not be disturbed, it blanks out other info. Bad design.

I always buckle up to drive, but the disturbance when starting and stopping the car at a standstill without setting the seatbelts, is a constant, user-hostile feature.
I believe you can turn it off temporarily by pulling the LH lwr multi-function switch towards you.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Some you guys need attention... now you worry about a fob metal ring !?! Are you driving this car or navel gazing?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
Some you guys need attention... now you worry about a fob metal ring !?! Are you driving this car or navel gazing?
dude, the clanging of keys gets pretty annoying after a 40 mile commute. and hey, this is just a rant on peeves. it's not like i'm gonna return the car or anything.

Quick Reply: Pet Peeves of my 997... maybe someone can help me out?