Sponsored by:

Stress crack in my windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stress crack in my windshield

A couple of weeks ago a crack suddenly appeared in my windshield. I noticed it first thing in the morning and I know it wasn't there the previous day. At the time, the car was in the driveway under a car cover because I was in the process of epoxy coating my garage floor. The crack has the telltale characteristics of a stress crack; there is no impact spot and it starts with a perfectly straight crack coming up from the bottom edge of the glass, under the plastic at the bottom of the windshield.

So I took the car to where I bought it last year, Tischer Porsche in Silver Spring MD, and talked to the service manager. He didn't believe that it was a stress crack. He said that "these windshields just don't break by themselves; something must have hit it". He said that he thought it was unlikely that Porsche would replace the windshield under warranty, but that he would ask anyway and call me no later that the next day. He never called me.

So then I took the car to Annapolis Porsche and talked to their service manager. He said that he thought Porsche probably would cover the windshield replacement under warranty. He called me back this morning, said that yes Porsche would replace it, and I scheduled an appointment for next week.

So I won't be going back to Tischer for any more service. I also won't be going there to buy the 2010 BMW 135i convertible that my wife wants (they sell Porsche/Audi/BMW).
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan

So I won't be going back to Tischer for any more service. I also won't be going there to buy the 2010 BMW 135i convertible that my wife wants (they sell Porsche/Audi/BMW).
OUCH!!

That's called voting with your wallet.

Tischer's loss.

Phil
Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would follow it with a letter to the service manager and the owner of that dealership thanking them for their "great" customer service. They need to scratch their heads and wonder why one dealership is able to work with you and who the yahoooo at Tischer help them loose a customer.
abe
Old 07-02-2009, 01:53 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the second picture it looks like there is a little crater right in the center of the crack.

I was driving to work in my SL once when I heard an impact on the windhshield. Saw nothing at all. Parked the car in the garage and went in to work. When I left 9 hours later there was a HUGE crack clear across the windshield on the passenger's side. Security told me that sometimes a tiny crack will propagte with changes in temperature.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:03 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Day + Cold water on windshield = Stress Crack. My brother has first hand experience when he was rinsing off bird poop.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:54 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the rock chip also.
Paul
Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

When I see something like that SOMETHING causes it. If no impact damage then the installation was improper, putting a stress upon it all along,--under the "latent defect" rule. Good for you!

Quick Reply: Stress crack in my windshield