Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you use your PDK gearbox?
I don't have PDK so this isn't an issue
25.58%
In 'Regular' automatic
13.95%
in 'Regular' changing gears manually
11.63%
In Sport auotmatic
16.28%
In Sport changing gears manually
23.26%
In Sport Plus automatic
2.33%
In Sport Plus changing gears manually
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

PDK - how to you normally use the gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK - how to you normally use the gearbox?

I am interested to learn how PDK drivers are using their gearbox in 'normal' driving?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Manual/Sport - sometimes Sport+ for fun (and terrible gas mileage!).

If traffic is really bad - stop and go - I'll use Auto. For long freeway drives, Auto/Normal is good for excellent gas mileage and there's not much point in Manual anyway at 80+ , I mean 65+/- MPH.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of my driving is commuting, often with heavy traffic, so I have to admit I spend most of my time in Normal/Automatic. If I'm out on a weekend, however, or on a mountain road, it'll end up in Sport/Manual much of the time.

I first drove a C2S PDK at the 2009 Intro event at the Fontana Raceway, followed by track time in PSDS. Those were driven in Normal/Auto, although with manual shifts to 2nd at the two tightest turns at Barber. It's pretty apparent that even in automatic, the transmission does exactly what it needs to do. Shifting manually is more from wanting to stay involved than from any actual need to tell the car what it needs to do.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant tip
(for the first time in 35+ years, I don't own a manual transmission)
Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 AM
tivbucks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always in manual, split between 'normal' when cold and 'sport plus' when up to temp - is there any other way?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:57 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I ususally use the regular auto mode until the car warms up, then manual and sometimes sport. I have some nice twisting roads to drive until I get to the interstate, but some traffic. But, I only have 500 miles on it now, so I need to do more driving!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Looks like the majority (including me) at the moment are favouring Sport with manual changes.

The options are :
I don't have PDK so this isn't an issue : Wise choice Sir!!!
In 'Regular' automatic : Super auto-slushmatic mode
in 'Regular' changing gears manually : Semi auto-slushmatic mode
In Sport auotmatic : Sport-slushmatic mode
In Sport changing gears manually : The only mode you wont be annoyed at buying PDK mode
In Sport Plus automatic : Too jerky, red lines all the time and never uses 7th
In Sport Plus changing gears manually : Occasionally jerky and never uses 7th (next best after sport+manual)

Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless I am in traffic, I always use manual mode & the steering wheel controls. I do not have SC.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
mstams
Racer

I find that regular auto mode does not work as well for me in stop and go traffic. Ironic, I know as you would think that's what it's best at, but it seems to want to bump up to a higher gear so quickly that creeping in traffic can be interesting. Sport auto does a better job at holding in lower gears for this type of traffic, but then you have the pronounced 2-1 jerk that other have complained about. So I end up finding that manual mode can actually be smoother and more controlled in traffic. Just seems a bit strange to me...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

My experience confirms mstams comments. I like the feel of the gearshift lever and use that instead of the steering wheel buttons. I use the Sport/Sport Plus when traffic is light and my wife isn't riding w/ me. I find the transmission extremely flexible and enjoyable despite the foibles. Sorry about your regrets Adam2S. I think someone on on another site traded his PDK for a manual. It may be preferable to get out of the PDK despite the financial hit if you are really unhappy.

Quick Reply: PDK - how to you normally use the gearbox?