997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Job -- parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009 | 02:19 PM
medtech
Drifting

I'm curious, if the pads last so long, are you burning through rotors faster?
Old 06-24-2009 | 03:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
I'm curious, if the pads last so long, are you burning through rotors faster?
There is no wear on the rotors at all.

Logically, all this makes a lot of sense, as there is little to no dust generated by these brakes. The brake dust comes from the pads.
Old 06-24-2009 | 09:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It will be interesting to hear if your front pads have worn evenly from top to bottom
or there is some taper?
Old 06-24-2009 | 09:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
It will be interesting to hear if your front pads have worn evenly from top to bottom
or there is some taper?
Without pulling them out, I haven't seen anything to indicate what you are suggesting. Alas, it will be some time before I have to replace them!
Old 06-24-2009 | 10:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There is no wear on the rotors at all.
That's not factually true. All materials experience abrasion to some degree, some more than others, when shear forces are applied to the moving surface. The carbon fiber reinforced ceramic disc of the PCCBs does exhibit less wear over time compared to the steel variety, but it does wear, though not as noticeably.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Logically, all this makes a lot of sense, as there is little to no dust generated by these brakes. The brake dust comes from the pads.
Brake dust always primarily comes from the pads. Even with steel rotors, which are a lot tougher than the relatively soft pads, the abrasion is primarily in the pads, hence the dust. Generally speaking, the softer the pad the higher the coefficient of friction of the pad (more braking power), and the more wear and dust from the pad. The special compound on the PCCB pads is designed to provide optimum coefficient of friction when applied on the carbon fiber reinforced ceramic discs, which means they are of a tougher compound than standard pads, which means they wear less, which means they generate less dust.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...kes/index.html
Old 06-24-2009 | 10:15 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks!
Only asked because HEAVY use can cause taper...that you will not see from the top alone.

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:01 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Default Fluid

Suggest you return the fluid in the picture
and get the blue fluid. You need to bleed the brakes every two
years and it is easier to bleed when the blue comes out.
The hardest part of doing the brakes is taking the tires off and
putting them on. Everything else is simple.
Paul
Old 06-25-2009 | 03:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the fluid tip. I routinely pull wheels off the car so I have that part down. I have also heard some downsides to the blue fluid, in that it stains the reservoir. I've done quite a bit of brake work over the decades, and think I should be able to guesstimate when I'm into the new stuff.
Old 06-25-2009 | 09:54 AM
sws1
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
The special compound on the PCCB pads is designed to provide optimum coefficient of friction when applied on the carbon fiber reinforced ceramic discs, which means they are of a tougher compound than standard pads, which means they wear less, which means they generate less dust.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...kes/index.html

I just bought new rear PCCB pads for my car. Dealer looked up part numbers for PCCB cars and IRON cars, and the part number for the pads was the same. Hence, the same pad. Had him double check because it sounded odd, but he said same pad.
Old 06-25-2009 | 11:07 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by sws1
I just bought new rear PCCB pads for my car. Dealer looked up part numbers for PCCB cars and IRON cars, and the part number for the pads was the same. Hence, the same pad. Had him double check because it sounded odd, but he said same pad.
Interesting.

Maybe Edgy or someone else who has PCCBs and have replaced their pads can chime in here.

But everything I've read on them indicate they are indeed of different compound and larger in size:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post5410310

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...placement.html
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:58 PM
sws1
Pro

That was my thought too. Until I spoke to Suncoast. And they looked up the same part number for both cars.

If you look on the Suncoast site, under "Replacement Parts" for GT3, the even mention that pads are for both PCCB and Iron brakes.
Old 06-25-2009 | 06:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

When I first investigated getting PCCBs for my car I checked my local parts guy for the price of them,--for iron brakes, and for PCCBs. The price was about $100 more for the PCCB ones. I can't for a moment believe that the pads are the same part number for a 6 piston PCCB caliper vice a 4 piston caliper for the iron rotors,--they're of a completely different size.

If you think you're going to be going through brake pads a lot, you might want to start stocking up. The PCCB pads listed at $385 when I ordered mine from Sunset (and got them for $228) and locally they told me they are up to $404 now.
Old 06-26-2009 | 09:19 AM
sws1
Pro

Keep in mind I was looking for GT3 pads. So the comparison was between REDs and PCCBs for GT3.
Old 06-28-2009 | 01:28 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Edgy you should return that stuff. Either you or the car will be dead by the time you need new brake pads. Incidentally, I flushed with the blue stuff a couple of years ago. Doesn't appear to be stained. I will know for sure in a few weeks when I flush with the gold stuff.
Old 06-28-2009 | 05:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks,--let me know about the blue stuff and if it has an affinity for staining the inside of the reservoir. I'm doing my very best to use my brakes,--but it will be awhile to get them down to replacement size. Routinely, I used to see significant wear on fronts vice rears first,--is that still the case with PCCB do you think, or does it matter?

Quick Reply: Brake Job -- parts needed